What about Enchant?

Greykiller said:
I tried to like POS, I really did. I listened to a couple of their albums two or three times, trying to figure out what the heck they were all about.

To each his own, I guess--the only reason I would want to see POS come back is if a band I really liked scheduled a signing at the same time.

I'm with ya dude. Everybody was raving about them so I tried a couple tracks of their first two albums. Couldn't stand it. Then when PP1 was coming around, I decided to really give them a try since they were headlining and listened to THe Perfect Element like 5 times in a row. By the end of the fifth listen, I became a fan. After seeing them at PP1, I became a HUGE fan! The one CD that even I don't get (yet people are still raving about it) is Be. A few decent tracks, but I'm not feeling it.

So there is hope for you yet ;)

Silent Song said:
So I'm likely the first naysayer, but i'd sooner have PoS than Enchant, and I'm no PoS fanboy. Enchant is a good band, but they strike me as somewhat sluggish and slow for something like PP. They've got some great songs, but overall they're a bit mellow.

Well, I've seen PoS three times now. However, with the recent political ramblings of Daniel, I doubt it will happen again. And to be quite honest, if he hates us that much that he would hurt his band's possible success over here for political reasons, I don't care if they do come back. Also, the third time I saw them at PP, a bunch of us were let down with their weakest performance I've witnessed. Plus, they openly admitted to not really practicing and it showed. I think it is VERY unprofessional to come to PP and not give it your all -- and rude.

As far as your point goes, it doesn't really make sense to me since I think Enchant is highly energetic and more consistently so than PoS. I love Remedy Lane, but it is a very mellow CD. Be is a snooze fest. And that is the complaint I hear from most of my friends (such as JayDub). Damn, I can't believe I admitted that in public :loco:

PeteTheDrummer said:
Well, I'd rather PoS myself as well, but theyve played PP twice, while Enchant hasnt at all.

Agreed. And Glenn is looking for new blood.

Yeah I think that wether they're heavy enough or not, is a moot point anymore, considering the past bands that have played @ PP, not to mention the acoustic sets! Enchant would seem as heavy as Pantera compared to that. :headbang: :p The only thing that SHOULD MATTER is if they're GOOD ENOUGH to play @ PP. Enchant more than meets those qualifications. They definitely fufill the "Prog" part of in "Prog Power" too.

@ unca kev
amen! :worship:

and boy can they play live! those damn live discs are rotating to scraps in my cd-rom. :headbang: :tickled:

np: enchant - seeds of hate (live) ... what a no-brainer :D

Besides they fully understand that ProgPower is a heavier style festival. Ed, their monster bassist, has alluded to that fact and all things appear that they are planning a heavier set. I'm typically into more prog metal than power, but I sat through groups like Brainstorm and Tad Morose that TOTALLY slayed and I ended up liking new groups that I truly discovered at PP (and bought enough CDs from them)!

I really feel that Enchant's live performance will be something everybody can enjoy much like that. To me, 3rd or 4th slot is not out of the question. There seems to be enough crossover fans that they will draw. They have enough CDs out, they've been around for a while, have paid their dues, and are extremely talented.

See for yourself from this post I lifted off the Enchant Forum
(http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4159406#post4159406):

ebass said:
Thanks to you and a bunch more very cool people! We really appreciate it. I told Doug about this the other day and he was pretty exited and happy to hear about it.

I was surprised to see how many Metal lovers giving us love as well over there. I guess they just need some reassurance the set will be HEAVY !

Gotta love it.

Now playing Redemption :The Fullness of Time :yes again!:

The Riverside point is the best - especially with how atmospheric so much of their first album is. Yeah his voice gets heavy at times but so much of it is abotu mood -
all these people are nuts for Riverside (I am one of them too) - and to have them play PP - in terms of 'heaviness', you could put both those bands (Enchant/Riverside) right next to each other and sometimes Enchant would seem heavier due to the faster pace of a song...

Another thing for Glenn to consider is their draw/fan base. When I was at their DVD taping, there were not only fans from their own state and their own country (i.e. Burke and I flew from Florida to California), but other countries (i.e. Canada) and even ones on other continents (i.e. Brazil & Germany)! There was(were) no opening band(s). It was just Enchant! All of those fans, of which a good portion were not local, came there only for Enchant! Sure people come from all over the world to Prog Power, for instance. But, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most people usually come to see at least 2 or more bands, when going to Prog Power or other festivals/shows. But for that many people to fly from South America or Europe, etc...just to see one band, that really says something! Now I'm not saying that most prog/power metal/rock bands don't have people that would and do fly far and wide to only see them. But how many of those bands have that many fans to go those distances to only see them? Think about Evergrey's DVD taping. Now, I'm not saying that the Enchant DVD taping had as big a venue or turnout as the EG DVD taping. But, they had fans from all over the world, just to see them, which shows the eschelon that a band has to be in to get that many fans, that dedicated.

Burke said:
The Riverside point is the best - especially with how atmospheric so much of their first album is. Yeah his voice gets heavy at times but so much of it is abotu mood -
all these people are nuts for Riverside (I am one of them too) - and to have them play PP - in terms of 'heaviness', you could put both those bands (Enchant/Riverside) right next to each other and sometimes Enchant would seem heavier due to the faster pace of a song...

Exactly! In terms of "heaviness" I still think Enchant is like extreme, tech, death, thrash metal compared to Riverside! :loco: I've been checking them out too so I'm not just spouting off. In fact, "OK" just got done playing (from Out of Myself). Good stuff, just not heavy. I do agree that his vocals do get "heavy" at times though.

Unca Kev said:
Another thing for Glenn to consider is their draw/fan base. When I was at their DVD taping, there were not only fans from their own state and their own country (i.e. Burke and I flew from Florida to California), but other countries (i.e. Canada) and even ones on other continents (i.e. Brazil & Germany)! There was(were) no opening band(s). It was just Enchant! All of those fans, of which a good portion were not local, came there only for Enchant! Sure people come from all over the world to Prog Power, for instance. But, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most people usually come to see at least 2 or more bands, when going to Prog Power or other festivals/shows. But for that many people to fly from South America or Europe, etc...just to see one band, that really says something! Now I'm not saying that most prog/power metal/rock bands don't have people that would and do fly far and wide to only see them. But how many of those bands have that many fans to go those distances to only see them? Think about Evergrey's DVD taping. Now, I'm not saying that the Enchant DVD taping had as big a venue or turnout as the EG DVD taping. But, they had fans from all over the world, just to see them, which shows the eschelon that a band has to be in to get that many fans, that dedicated.

Good point, Kev. Had I known about the taping, I would've most likely flown out too! As far as Evergrey's taping I do have a friend who flew from Ohio to see that show. However, I don't know that this was a wide-spread practice. The other aspect is that Sweden has a huge scene and they actually respect bands that can play over there! The EG is also an incredible DVD!

Pellaz said:
I'd certainly say Ted from Enchant could formally open ProgPower with a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner:

http://www.paulcashman.com/temp/ (23.6 megs, ye hath been warned; right-click on the filename in the folder)

This is old so lots of folks have probably already seen it.

Man, that's a great rendition, too!

No shit dude! Even more incredible is that he actually pulls off all their stuff live and doesn't let up!! I was absolutely blown away when I watched the DVD. I really expected shortcuts galore -- instead he pretty much took no shortcuts. He even nailed that note in "Pure."

I don't think anyone can say that Ted can't sing!!! I know, I asked for the smart asses to come out on that one! :wave:

Rick Pierpont said:
I don't think anyone can say that Ted can't sing!!! I know, I asked for the smart asses to come out on that one! :wave:
It's good to see that no smart asses came out on that one or knocking any other members of the band on their talent. You just can't!

Unca Kev said:
It's good to see that no smart asses came out on that one or knocking any other members of the band on their talent. You just can't!
:lol: Yeah! While some people may knock them for not being heavy enough (only a problem if you have to have a steady diet of chainsaw metal), you are absolutely right when you say you can't knock them for their talent. They are all extremely talented! And I think anyone who watches the "Live at Last" DVD will understand that statement.

Ted's performance alone flipped me out! He goes for all the hard stuff and rarely takes a shortcut. Geoff Tate could take come lesson from this guy about live performance! Plus, I had no idea that he even played guitar, much less as well as he does. Doug's guitar playing was also extremely solid! He is very accurate yet still has soul in his playing. Great tone too. Awesome backing vocals too! Ed's Da Man! Another super accurate performer who has a lot of fun on stage. Plus, his slap and tapping technique on the bass is phenomenal! Sean plays a relatively simple kit, but jams the hell out of it and has a ton of fun doing so. He reminded me of Rod Morgenstein with the constant smile while he's playing. Bill does a great job on the keys. I wish the camera angles had been better with him, but you can hear him fine!

Don't expect any huge budget production like DT (or even Evergrey), but it is all solid and a great addition to anyone's music DVD collection! Unfortunately, it is the only way I've experienced Enchant live. I so hope they end up at PP!!!

That would be awesome, if that could happen! But according to Glenn, they have to have an album out before then. But he did say that the response, that they got on this forum, warrants a slot in the future.

Unca Kev said:
Yeah I think that wether they're heavy enough or not, is a moot point anymore, considering the past bands that have played @ PP, not to mention the acoustic sets! Enchant would seem as heavy as Pantera compared to that. :headbang: :p The only thing that SHOULD MATTER is if they're GOOD ENOUGH to play @ PP. Enchant more than meets those qualifications. They definitely fufill the "Prog" part of in "Prog Power" too.

I totally agree they are good enough to be there in September 2006.

Are they good enough to headline, though? Considering the "bent" of this year's show, I predict a much harder band is going to get that slot (closer to Nevermore than Enchant, eh?). Besides, Glenn is not convinced that PP is the right venue for Enchant.

But maybe someone will change Glenn's mind this year, right? (wink wink inside joke).

Unca Kev said:
Yeah I think that wether they're heavy enough or not, is a moot point anymore, considering the past bands that have played @ PP, not to mention the acoustic sets!
Two things to consider here. First, the acoustic sets were part of the pre-party, which is not (as Glenn has pointed out) offically part of the festival. I'm not sure which bands you're referring to (that have played the actual festival) that Enchant is "heavier" than, but I think you also need to consider slotting. It's one thing to have a band who doesn't really fit the ProgPower mold in a #2 or #3 slot, but I would think that the headliners should fit conceptually with the festival. And when you get down to it, this is a Metal festival and Enchant is not a Metal band.

Unca Kev said:
The only thing that SHOULD MATTER is if they're GOOD ENOUGH to play @ PP. Enchant more than meets those qualifications.
If being "good enough" is all that should matter, then why not invite Death Machine, Cryptopsy or Meshuggah?

Unca Kev said:
They definitely fufill the "Prog" part of in "Prog Power" too.
So do a million other bands that don't fit the festival's theme. I think Enchant is a real talented band. And I think they'd fit well as a mid-tier band. But I can't see Enchant being a good fit to headline a Metal festival. Obviously, just my opinion.

Zod

General Zod said:
Two things to consider here. First, the acoustic sets were part of the pre-party, which is not (as Glenn has pointed out) offically part of the festival. I'm not sure which bands you're referring to (that have played the actual festival) that Enchant is "heavier" than, but I think you also need to consider slotting. It's one thing to have a band who doesn't really fit the ProgPower mold in a #2 or #3 slot, but I would think that the headliners should fit conceptually with the festival. And when you get down to it, this is a Metal festival and Enchant is not a Metal band.

If being "good enough" is all that should matter, then why not invite Death Machine, Cryptopsy or Meshuggah?

So do a million other bands that don't fit the festival's theme. I think Enchant is a real talented band. And I think they'd fit well as a mid-tier band. But I can't see Enchant being a good fit to headline a Metal festival. Obviously, just my opinion.

Zod
Remember that post that you quoted was from November 7th, long before any bands were announced. When I had posted that, I wasn't even thinking of them headlining, for exactly the same reasons that you listed. I was just hoping that they'd get a slot period.

I would love to see Enchant headline on Friday. I just don't think they would be the right fit to headline Saturday, I would say move Evergrey to Saturday.I don't know why. It's just seems to me, like taht would be the best thing? just out of curiosity, anyone agree?

Or put Enchant on the 2 spot, and move Vision Divine to Headliners, on the basis with the extra time to perfom, they at least play 5 Labyrinth songs. I know that's F'd up considering VD have enough good material to fill 2 hours, but I just like Labyrinth more:)

Unca Kev said:
Remember that post that you quoted was from November 7th, long before any bands were announced. When I had posted that, I wasn't even thinking of them headlining, for exactly the same reasons that you listed. I was just hoping that they'd get a slot period.
My bad. I didn't check the date, and made the incorrect assumption that you were suggesting they take over the vacated headliner spot.

Zod