What about Enchant?

ich bin besser said:
I saw Enchant twice on their last European tour and you guys will miss something special when they can't play PP. ;)

Come on man! Who says that they can't play PP? You nay sayer! LOL The only people that can say that is Glenn and the guys in Enchant. And Enchant says they want to play PPVII! :headbang:

It'd be a waste of time to restate everyone else's reasons for wanting this band, so I'll just say "Amen" to having Enchat at PPUSA VII, hope like hell it happens and leave it at that...

Unca Kev said:
I think that if Enchant gets signed to PPVII, we should throw a room party to celebrate! Who's in?

You got it Slick! I will start packing my cooler with WARSTEINER right now!!
:D :headbang: :Smokin:

I think Enchant would be great. It think there has been some valid concern expressed in the past that they aren't "metal enough." I suppose Glenn could schedule a Running Wild signing session during their set so that everyone is happy.

Joe

Joe-× said:
I think Enchant would be great. It think there has been some valid concern expressed in the past that they aren't "metal enough." I suppose Glenn could schedule a Running Wild signing session during their set so that everyone is happy.

Joe
Glad we agree on that point. :headbang: They would be AWESOME!

As far as "metal" enough? I think they are plenty especially considering some of the other bands that have played PP that have hit both sides of the spectrum: Devin Townsend, Mercenary, and Rage to PC69, Stride, and Pain of Salvation. Yes, Enchant may not be the most "metal" band out there but they are prog enough and this event is about balance! There also seems to be enough buzz (including yourself) that I think they would be received very well!

Ahhhh, poor Running Wild wouldn't have anyone to sign for since they'd all be in watching Enchant! ;)

If Enchant makes it to PP, then Lana Lane should certainly be considered in the future. As much as I would love to see Lana Lane play PP, I honestly can't see her playing anything higher than the opening slot, and those slots are usually reserved for some high-energy newcomers to get everyone fired up for the rest of the evening. I'd hate to see her (or any band) get an ambivalent reception because they just weren't heavy enough. If I were to err in choosing a band, I'd rather err on a band that was too heavy than too prog rock (like Enchant). Enchant are good at what they do, but I just don't envision them having the needed following amongst a typical PP crowd to make them a hit.

Havermout said:
Can't agree more, saw Enchant at Headway earlier this year and they played an awesome set...a pity they played the not so crowded Saturday, they deserved the packed house on Sunday...

Why don't you think they were able to pack the house on Saturday? Could those same reasons come into play if they were to play PP USA?

Fiddler, to say that they're not heavy enough is like saying, "Nah, we shouldn't book Rush, they're not heavy enough." If they craft their setlist specifically for this event, it will be plenty heavy. Secondly, in a live environment, the energy/volume/heaviness is always upped. Thirdly, when you're talking about a classic band with great song-writing, great vocals, great lyrics, great musicianship, a huge catalog, a litany of great songs to choose from, and a progressive style that ranges from rock to metal, you're talking about a band that -- imo -- simply NEEDS to be a PP act.

"Man, if we book Rush, they might play 'Close to the Heart' and 'Cinderalla Man' and used all those synthesized keys that just aren't metal enough." Yet, we'd be passing up one of hell of a great band with plenty of prog metal tendencies.

DT Jesus said:
Fiddler, to say that they're not heavy enough is like saying, "Nah, we shouldn't book Rush, they're not heavy enough." If they craft their setlist specifically for this event, it will be plenty heavy. Secondly, in a live environment, the energy/volume/heaviness is always upped. Thirdly, when you're talking about a classic band with great song-writing, great vocals, great lyrics, great musicianship, a huge catalog, a litany of great songs to choose from, and a progressive style that ranges from rock to metal, you're talking about a band that -- imo -- simply NEEDS to be a PP act.

"Man, if we book Rush, they might play 'Close to the Heart' and 'Cinderalla Man' and used all those synthesized keys that just aren't metal enough." Yet, we'd be passing up one of hell of a great band with plenty of prog metal tendencies.
Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. Rush is exactly who came to mind when thinking of other bands that sit on the edge of the hard rock/metal fence. I think that they are popular enough that they can be Enchant and do quite well. So many people I know that lean heavier on one side or the other all like Enchant! I think that because of that , they will be wildly successful!

A few more things to take into consideration:
1) Pain of Salvation seems to always get people excited. However, as much as I like them, they really aren't all that metal either. Furthermore, unlike Enchant, PoS seems to be either a love 'em or hate 'em sort of band. I'm one of the few in my crowd that loves them and they usually make fun of me ;) They have no taste -- that's all. :hotjump:

2) I've seen a considerable amount of buzz for a band called Riverside. I had never even heard of them until a few weeks ago and I learned of them right here in the PP forum. With so many people talking them up, I decided to hunt them down and check out some tracks. It is really good stuff, but makes Enchant sound like speed, extreme tech, thrash compared to them. :lol:

Yes, some metalheads who can't stand anything less then a pounding double-bass beat at 240 bpm might not like Enchant, but you can't win over everyone! I personally love all sorts of stuff from some fairly brutally heavy to some really mellow. I guess I'm just a bit easier to please :) I'm all for Enchant, Zero Hour, Symphony X, Evergrey, Spiral Architect, Tad Morose, and PoS playing the next PP. (Which reminds me I still have to formulate my prediction for PP7 -- this wasn't it).

Rick Pierpont said:
I'm one of the few in my crowd that loves them and they usually make fun of me ;) They have no taste -- that's all. :hotjump:

I thought the anti-PoS contingent just "doesn't get it" :D
We wouldn't make fun of you if you didn't own PoS jammies with the hatch on the back, and the footies! :Spin:

I tried to like POS, I really did. I listened to a couple of their albums two or three times, trying to figure out what the heck they were all about.

To each his own, I guess--the only reason I would want to see POS come back is if a band I really liked scheduled a signing at the same time.

So I'm likely the first naysayer, but i'd sooner have PoS than Enchant, and I'm no PoS fanboy. Enchant is a good band, but they strike me as somewhat sluggish and slow for something like PP. They've got some great songs, but overall they're a bit mellow.

J-Dubya 777 said:
I thought the anti-PoS contingent just "doesn't get it" :D
We wouldn't make fun of you if you didn't own PoS jammies with the hatch on the back, and the footies! :Spin:
:lol: I figured my post would pull you back out of the closet... I mean, hiding. ;)
Yes, they don't get it because their stuff is so crazy. I think some people have a hard time with all the super mellow passages and songs because they aren't metal enough. That and Gildenlow's crazy, all over the place vocal lines. I know that is what turned me of of them when I first listened to them.

WTF!?!??! You LOVE those PoS jammies!! You're just jealous because you don't own a pair too!