What album has changed your life?

"V - The new Mythology Suite" because after years of being disillusioned with the music scene, I realized immediately upon hearing SymX that the true talent that I have been missing is now to be found within this musical genre. The first was Johnny Winter's first LP "Johnny Winter" ....got me to playing guitar when I was a kid.

Bush - 'Sixteen Stone' : This was the album that made me want to learn to play guitar. Go figure.

Metallica - The old shit: This was what made me REALLY wanna learn how to play guitar, especially lead.

Joe Satriani - 'Crystal Planet' : My first Satch album, and to this day one of my favorites. This is the guy that made me wanna become fucking incredible. I'm still working on that, but by looking up to him, my playing improved a LOT.

Yngwie J. Malmsteen's 'Rising Force' : This album was the clencher. This is such a beautiful album, and that's what really got to me. I was being impressed and moved all at once. Introduced me to sweep picking. My playing focuses little on this technique now, but by following his example my playing improved by leaps and bounds. Also introduced me to the harmonic minor scale. My playing still has quite a Malmsteen-ish tint, though not derivative.

Dream Theater - 'Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory' : I don't like this album very much, but it was my first introduction to progressive metal. I went on to purchase 'Images and Words', which blew me away. My love for prog metal started here, and for a while, it showed in my playing. Introduced me to all sorts of odd meters. Doesn't surface much in my playing, but I love prog metal.

Now, for a while, there were no life-changing albums. Just a journey through progressive metal, which eventually lead me to SyX and Blind Guardian, and then on to Nevermore and eventually Opeth.

Blind Guardian - 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' : A personal album, to me. Influenced my music in many ways.

Opeth - 'Blackwater Park' : Together with BG, my favorite band. Gave me more a lesson in songwriting and atmospherics, and sparked my interest in linear song structures. Also introduced me to growls/screams, which I use a good deal now.

Metallica's black album. My mom bought it when I was 7 (I'm 15 now). At that time I was listening to crappy music like 2unlimited. But hey, I was young! Metallica's Black Album was sort of my first contact with MUSIC, other than cheap top40.

I started playing guitar when i was 7, I wanted to play like Richi Sambora from Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi was METAL damn it), and i bought Ride the Lightning when i was 8, and it all started from there. My first prog albums were Seventh Son of a Seventh son, Megadeth's Rust in Peace and ...And justice for all. Then i got into Death, Cynic and Atheist, technical death etc... Then into prog thrash like Nevermore's THE POLITICS OF ECSTASY which is still my favourite album ever... 42147 and The Learning are :eek: .

So yeah, blame it on Metallica and Bon Jovi.

Dream Theater-A Change of Seasons is and always will be a very influencial album for me...perhaps one of the most. It's lyrics tell you to cherish your life and to seize the day...because this life on earth isn't very long, you should live it to the best of your ability, because afterlife is ahead...

DT's whole collection has such raw emotion in it.....Also Symph X., Satch, Vai, RHCP with songs like Under the Bridge and Knock Me Down, funk always hypes me up!!!!! Van Halen, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Metallica, the oldies man!!! Rush, Edwin, OLP, LTE, U2, MGB, among others...Good music in general helps a bunch!!! :D

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
At the time that I heard it, I wasn't sure if fingers moved that fast. I was completely blown away, I had never heard this kind of speed or technicality before. That album is my biggest inspiration for playing the guitar.

Life changing albums.
I'm old, so there have been a lot of changes...

Creedence Clearwater Revival-Cosmo's Factory
My cousin played it for me and gave me my first introduction to rock.

Aerosmith-Rocks (Specifically "Back in the Saddle")
I was about 13. Steve Tyler's screams opened a whole new world. It was the first song that my dad yelled at me for. That alone makes it one of my eternal favorites. :)

UFO-Strangers in the Night
I was about 15 or 16. Michael Schenker immediately became my idol.

Van Halen-S/T
I was about 15. My friend got the LP when it first came out and we played it constantly while we played ping pong in his basement. During solos, the ping pong paddles were our guitars, of course.

Iron Maiden-S/T
I was stunned by the combination of punk energy and metal melodies and slightly classical arrangements. My friend got it in London when it first came out, and I had to pay extra bucks for an import, but it was worth it! Steve Harris made me want to be a bassist.

Alcatrazz-No Parole From Rock and Roll
I stood in a record store in Japan in the fall of 1983 and listened to the entire album with my jaw on the ground. Yngwie immediately became my other idol.

Talas-Sink Your Teeth Into This
Made me give up trying to be a bassist.

Helloween-Keepers of the Seven Keys, Part II
I heard it first a few years after it came out, and have been hooked on the whole melodic speed/power thing ever since.

Grave Digger-Tunes of War
My first real step into the world of rough vocals. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to transition to an appreciation of some of the death/black type bands, and experience the instrumental work in that genre.

Symphony X-S/T
Everything that I had ever looked for in music. And they just keep getting better!!!

Metallica.. Ride the Lightning..
Opeth- BWP
Katatonia- DO
Soilwork- PP
Most recently- Symphony X- The Odyssey - I was never much into the vocals.. just recently got over that hurdle.. now Blind Guardian and SX have taken over my playlist..
Maudlin of the Well- Holy crap.. they taught me that not everything needs to make sense.. wonderful band.

Originally posted by The Yngster
Is this similar to "Remedy Lane"? Because I bought RL and I don't like it very much, I want to make sure I don't spend 15 bucks on the same thing.

"Remedy Lane" is my favorite album of 2002... and "The Perfect Element" is my favorite album ever made. "Remedy Lane" is a bit more stripped down and personal... where as "The Perfect Element" is more orchestrated and epic. Every Pain of Salvation album is different.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
"Remedy Lane" is my favorite album of 2002... and "The Perfect Element" is my favorite album ever made. "Remedy Lane" is a bit more stripped down and personal... where as "The Perfect Element" is more orchestrated and epic. Every Pain of Salvation album is different.

What really turned me away from "Remedy Lane" was all of the ballads. I think that one is too many, this album had several. IMO, orchestrated and epic sounds a whole lot more interesting than stripped down and personal.

Scorpions "Blackout"... bought it because of the album cover, stayed for my first taste of euro-metal

Queensryche "The Warning"... metal vocals can be melodic? wow!!!

Racer-X "Second Heat"... saw them live in '88 and HAD to learn to shred

More recently...

Symphony X "DWoT"... got me into wanting to play prog metal again

Vanden Plas "Beyond Daylight"... song structure, melodic flow, and amazing production is inspirational

between these two albums, I was convinced to finally get down to business and do my own prog metal solo album... now THAT'S life changing!

In cronological order
'Van Halen' - got me interested in becoming amazing at the guitar, rather than just being good
'Kill em all' - Got me interested in metal
'Fear of the dark' - Got me interested in iron maiden/power metal and guitar harmonies etc, which is my main taste of music to this day
'Trilogy Suite' - Got me interested in shredding, which i really worked at. Also got me interested in neo classical elements
'V' - Got me interested in weird time sigs, progressive in general, and all that sort of stuff

Note, these are not neccessarily my favourite albums now, although most of them are

Originally posted by SevenString
Scorpions "Blackout"... bought it because of the album cover, stayed for my first taste of euro-metal

Queensryche "The Warning"... metal vocals can be melodic? wow!!!

Racer-X "Second Heat"... saw them live in '88 and HAD to learn to shred

More recently...

Symphony X "DWoT"... got me into wanting to play prog metal again

Vanden Plas "Beyond Daylight"... song structure, melodic flow, and amazing production is inspirational

between these two albums, I was convinced to finally get down to business and do my own prog metal solo album... now THAT'S life changing!

Racer X in 88. Man - That must have been incredible.