What album has changed your life?

Bobby,

that Racer-X show is one of my favorite memories from the time

paul and bruce shredding harmonies... there was one point where they each reached across with the left hand to fret each other's part while they picked their own. wow!

nobody had really heard bass playing quite like john alderete at that point, either.

also, the whole "day-glo" thing with stacks to the ceiling was so over-the-top that you just had to laugh at the excess. those guys sure put on a show.

My freshman year of highschool,I became freinds with these metal head kids( I was a 'Baller') Well, Long Long story short,
I Barrowed my freinds 'Kill 'em all' cd and thought seek 'n destroy sounded so FU*KING COOL,eventualy rest of the cd followed.
I was 13/14 then, Made me want to play the 'cool' riff's by metallica and other metal bands i was getting into at the time. (megadeth , iron maiden , Slayer , Pantera etc..) Got a guitar soon after i turned 15, Im 17 now and senior in HS =D

Originally posted by SevenString
Bobby,

that Racer-X show is one of my favorite memories from the time

paul and bruce shredding harmonies... there was one point where they each reached across with the left hand to fret each other's part while they picked their own. wow!

nobody had really heard bass playing quite like john alderete at that point, either.

also, the whole "day-glo" thing with stacks to the ceiling was so over-the-top that you just had to laugh at the excess. those guys sure put on a show.

WOW! That had to be something to see...

Almost all the early metallica albums really influenced me in my guitar playing.

Some of the albums that influence me (they still do) in singing are:

DT - ACOS
DT - Metropolis pt2. - Scenes from a memory
SX - V
SX - DWOT (specially the title song and candlelight fantasia)
SX - TIO (Throught the looking glass)

Boy am I gonna age myself here:
for me it was the First Boston album. For 1976 that TONE was just freakin amazing and shows you what MIT degree can do for you. So that album made want to play guitar.

Symphony X - The Odessey

Brought me really into the band... prog/prog metal in general... And I was actually just listening to Arvo Pärt.....

Three ablums actually..

Kiss: Destroyer
This one was the beginning of my love for music.

Rush: Moving Pictures
This one started me on my path to becoming a bassist.

Fates Warning: Awaken the Guardian
This one opened my ears to progressive metal.

your gonna laught, but for me it was Def Leppard's "Hysteria". My brother got it when it came out in 87. I loved the sound of the heavy guitar, and eventually this was the gateway to Metallica "Master of Puppets" and then I started getting into more and more metal, and switched from drums (well started playing besides drums) the guitar, which is now my primary instrument of glory.
Also, when I heard "Pull me Under" on the radio the first time, I had to get the CD, so I called the radio station to find out the band's name and I ended up getting "Images and Words" for Christmas. So this is how I got into Prog and I never really practiced seriously until I got into dream theater and started learning how to play JP's stuff. Too bad the Hammet poison had already taken effect.

I went high school from 78-80---
so its
Black Sabbath 1
Van Halen 1

Van Halen--the first time I heard it--------it changed my life

The second time I heard it----------------it changed it back

mooohahahabooohahaha

... but seeing Racer-X live at the Omni, April 5th, 1988.

That was my personal turning point as far as guitar playing goes. I said, "I have to learn how to do that!"

Their current album at the time was "Second Heat".

edit: never mind... i forgot that i already posted to this thread

For me, it was Metallica's Master of Puppet's, which greatly inspired my guitar playing and got me into metal.

The second album was Liquid Tension Experiment. My cousin had the CD and I heard a bit of it, and just thought it was amazing. I went out and got both LTE's and 2 DT cds. The rest is history.

Other notable albums: Opeth - Morningrise, Symphony X - DWOT, Death - Symbolic

the_satanic_rabbit said:
your gonna laught, but for me it was Def Leppard's "Hysteria". My brother got it when it came out in 87. I loved the sound of the heavy guitar, and eventually this was the gateway to Metallica "Master of Puppets" and then I started getting into more and more metal, and switched from drums (well started playing besides drums) the guitar, which is now my primary instrument of glory.
Also, when I heard "Pull me Under" on the radio the first time, I had to get the CD, so I called the radio station to find out the band's name and I ended up getting "Images and Words" for Christmas. So this is how I got into Prog and I never really practiced seriously until I got into dream theater and started learning how to play JP's stuff. Too bad the Hammet poison had already taken effect.

Hell no dude, I listened to Def Leppard all the time when I was a kid, that exact album too, infact, along with Queen were the beginnings of my craving for playing guitar and love for music. I also love Peter Gabriel (is he Prog, still cant figure that out). But it wasnt unill I saw Vernon Reid and Living Color on SNL that I wanted to Shred...ELP (black Moon album) paved my way into loving Prog...and just about everything else people listed from Ride the Lightning to megadeth, ozzy, to Pantera to primus...

The Album that made me just say "I want that Tone" and start to play was Boston's first album, sure they weren't the best technical group but it make wanna do something musically.