What albums would your rate 10 out of 10

aeternus - beyond the wandering moon
deathspell omega - smrc
morbid angel - blessed are the sick
nokturnal mortum - goat horns
sacramentum - far away from the sun
summoning - dol guldur
therion - beyond sanctorum

(sacramentum and summoning are actually 11s ;))
Looks like Nixon's top metal list to me but with DSO and Morbid Angel instead of Burzum and Fleshcrawl . Just saying...:cool:

Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis
Divinity Destroyed - Eden In Ashes
Theatre of Tragedy - Self Titled
The Wounded - Monument
The Wounded - The Art of Grief

I'm sure I would have a few more to list, just need to think more about it. But the ones I listed, you should check out if you haven't.

Painkiller is overrated imo. Judas Priest doesn't get better than in Screaming For Vengeance imo.

NecrolustUG, there is a lot of bands on your list where you have chosen odd albums... as i find a lot of other albums in their discography better then the ones you picked let alone 10/10, for e.g Death, Necrophagist, Megadeth, At the Gates, but anyway if thats your pick...:zombie: :kickass:

A lot of great stuff has been mentioned but i will add

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
3 inches of blood - Advance and Vanquish
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Cynic - Focus

hmm i am also leaning towards Sepultura - beneath the remains
Nocturnus - The Key
Psycroptic - Scepter of the Ancients

Slayer- Reign in Blood
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Mercyful Fate- Melissa; Don't Break the Oath
Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Bathory- Hammerheart
King Diamond- Abigail

Theatres des Vampires - Bloody Lunatic Asylum

This isn't an album that would appeal to many but it is my favourite album, period. Not only would I give it a 10/10, but also a score of 100/100.

I guess the problem here (other than me being a pedantic asshole) is that a quantitative rating system is fundamentally flawed when applied to art. It gets more ridiculous the greater the degree of accuracyyou use, also. "Well, Christina Aguilera's Stripped may be a good album, but I enjoy Immolation's Close to a World Below precisely 3% more". It's a ridiculous way of rating music that is so devoid of meaning or usefulness that it'd probably be better if we'd just stop thinking in terms of it.

The number a person gives to an album is indeed subjective and relative to that person. As long as people have different opinions there isn't a flawless form of rating system neither is there a single flawless or perfect album - nor is there anything close.

Is the raw, lesser-quality production on any given Darkthrone album far from perfect? perfectly suited for the music? neither one or both?

However a person can choose to measure an album on a scale of 0-100 with 100 being of most satisfaction. For people who measure an album based on a more precise/complex scale or in percentage for example - its not done so much that they can directly say an album is 3% better than the other - but if say a 9/10 (90%) is the equivalent of an 'outstanding' album, and the album in review falls just shy of that mark then why not give it an 8.8 or 8.9? This would suggest that the album is well over an 8/10 and even greater than an 8.5 but not quite enough to warrant a 9/10 - anyhow, this is just an example.

I'm a very opinionated person when it comes to the music I listen to. And for the most part, I almost never read other people's reviews for recommendation purposes or so I can decide whether the person is right or wrong - but because I am interested in the person's opinion and why gave the album such a mark, and how it contrasts with that of other albums they've listened to. This is why I prefer to read reviews that have some sort of numerical rating scale. Though in a sense they don't serve as much of a purpose as it would seem - I personally don't like reading reviews that do not make use of this. For example, some magazines just give a review (with no rating) and the impression left is simply positive or negative. Such a review I find is boring and almost meaningless because you can then lump several albums into one category of 'good' and seemingly suggest that they are all of equal value which may not be the case...

Originally Posted by Hatebreeder
40 Greatest Metal Songs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Horrible list.

Great list commercial wise, bad list metal wise. Where's In Flames's December Flower at? Burzum - Jesus' Tod?

In Flames - The Jester Race (mentioned multiple times but I had to do it again)
In Flames - Clayman (been one of my favorites for years)
Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Burzum - first three albums
Bathory - Blood Fire Death (nobody mentioned this yet?)
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Stratovarius - Fright Night (even if your not a power metal fan this album is for you because it isn't even power metal, it's more like old school metal)
Death - The Sound Of Perserverance

That's all I can come up with for now.

Can i add something to the concept of this thread...

List your favourite song off the albums you submitted.
I ask this because i see a lot of people say for e.g DEMILICH owns, but never do songs get mentioned.

I know some albums are made to be heard in its enterity (well most of the ones mentioned here...) but anyway tell us what you think is the stand out for you.

That kind of defies the purpose of this being a 10/10 ALBUM selection now doesn't it?

edit: All albums should be listened all the way through, why do you think bands make albums in the first place. Doesn't make much sense to have 10 songs on an album and only expect people to listen to 1 or 2 songs not to mention, going back to the actual title of this thread. You can't give a 10/10 rating on an album from one song.

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours is the only thing that comes close to 10/10. Slayer - Show No Mercy next, but the more I listen to TRITSIO, the further ahead it gets.