What Anthrax is all about to me:

Yeah, but Slipknot would do something like that, and Slipknot is numetal.

The guitar tone in the song is what really gives it that numetal sound though.

Well so does "What doesn't Die" which, IMO is as heavy a song as they EVER did.

That's your opinion. And that's fine. A lot of my friends from back in the day liked POT but did not like Joey's vox. At the time, I defended Joey. And he did a serviceable job. Just think John could have done better, if he would have recorded it in the studio. Just my thoughts. No big woop.

I will disagree big time on having John on POT

But I do like that song "What Doesn't Die". One of the only songs I like on that album. I was fired up when I heard that song as it is the first song on the album. I thought we were in for a return to a semi thrash Anthrax again. But after that song it went down hill really fast.

LOL. I hope this album propells them to a place they belong. Back in the day, they were 2nd only to Metallica in Big4 rankings. To me personally, I still think that, popularity and album sales say otherwise. Everyone knows my theories about that so I need not repeat. :lol:

2nd in terms of what? Album sales? If so, how much of that has to do with the I'm the Man and Bring the Noise 'hits'. Probably a lot

Yeah, but Slipknot would do something like that, and Slipknot is numetal.

The guitar tone in the song is what really gives it that numetal sound though.

I think WCFYA has nu-metal influences generally - listen to the main riff of 'Think About an End' (after Bush let's out a hardcore 'mmm' lol).

Don't think it's the guitar tone though. WCFYA is quite clean, the guitar tone has nowhere near enough gain! Even for nu-metal. I think it's just the nature of the guitar riffs: -1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0- etc.

I think WCFYA has nu-metal influences generally - listen to the main riff of 'Think About an End' (after Bush let's out a hardcore 'mmm' lol).

Don't think it's the guitar tone though. WCFYA is quite clean, the guitar tone has nowhere near enough gain! Even for nu-metal. I think it's just the nature of the guitar riffs: -1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0- etc.

I agree that a lot of this album is Nu Metal sounding.I don't think What Doesnt Die sounds Nu Metal other than the Chorus.. but as soon as What Doesn't Die ends that is also when the "Anthrax" sound does as well. I was fired up when I first put in this CD as What Doesn't Die was promising. But right off the bat when it goes into "Superhero" you'd think you were listening to Korn. That is when I knew it was too good to be true. The rest of the album I just cant' listen to. I always thought that the main riff in Superhero sounded like the main riff in this:

The rest of WCFYA has almost no similarities to What Doesn't Die. It has more in common with Godsmack/Korn/Static-X with big Choruses than Anthrax. But is says "Anthrax" on the cover so it must be right :tickled:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Anthrax don't have the same image in ThrashMetal than Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/testament/Exodus etc...????

All of my friends who have an interest in Metal are in the same line :
ANTHRAX is a goddamn band, killer guitars riffs and drums parts...
But the voice is inapropriate for the music: too much "Heavy Metal"...Not so serious beside Hetfield or Araya or Mustaine!

The coming of John was a good point for them, but the music lost his "Force" but gave more Modernism...

The come Back of Joey is really non apreciate by my friends!
They are excited about the music, but very bored by the voice!

I understand their opinion, but I think Joey's voice is a big part of Anthrax sound, for the good or for the bad!

Why Anthrax don't have the same image in ThrashMetal than Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/testament/Exodus etc...????

All of my friends who have an interest in Metal are in the same line :
ANTHRAX is a goddamn band, killer guitars riffs and drums parts...
But the voice is inapropriate for the music: too much "Heavy Metal"...Not so serious beside Hetfield or Araya or Mustaine!

The coming of John was a good point for them, but the music lost his "Force" but gave more Modernism...

The come Back of Joey is really non apreciate by my friends!
They are excited about the music, but very bored by the voice!

I understand their opinion, but I think Joey's voice is a big part of Anthrax sound, for the good or for the bad!

Why doesn't Anthrax have an image in Thrash Metal next to Slayer,Megadeth, Testament, etc??

They USED to before the John Bush era came along. Are you kidding me? They were as big of a Thrash band as any of those bands, even bigger and that was with Joey on vocals.

So your theory of John Bush making Anthrax more like Slayer, Testament, and Exodus just doesn't add up. Bush is far from an aggressive thrash vocalist. Even he wouldn't say that is what he is. He has a great voice for a dirty/dark/grungy type of music. But not for Thrash Metal. Anthrax wanted to get away from being labeled a Thrash Metal band and thats what they did when they brought in John Bush... and that is when they stopped being compared next to Slayer, Testament, and Exodus.

And your 'friends who are 'bored' with Joeys voice... don't they also get bored with John Bush's voice? His voice wears out it's welcome fairly quickly. He doesn't have much diversity. What you get with John Bush is what you get. His vocal style doesn't change much from when he is in Armored Saint or Anthrax. At least Joey is able to diversify his voice and sing many different styles of music. He sounds fairly different on each Anthrax album. He is able to adapt to what is necessary... just as he is doing on Worship music and is why a lot of the Bushthrax fans are impressed by his vocals on worship music.

@IM09 I don't know how you've done it but you managed to turn your own Anthrax thread into another Joey vs John debate.

Give the man a prize ;-)