What are the differences between Thrash and Death Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death metal has blastbeats and tremolo picking, both of which are nonexistant or used very sparingly in thrash. Also, death metal never has clean vocals as the primary vocal style, whereas thrash often does. However, what I mentioned does not account for some old school death metal that features very little blastbeats and tremolo picking, such as Death and Obituary. I've always thought that most death metal can be described accurately as extreme thrash. If you listen to bands such as Malevolent Creation, Asphyx, Suffocation (Pierced from Within), Pestilence, etc. you'll hear an obvious thrash influence.

Life Sucks said:
Death metal has blastbeats and tremolo picking, both of which are nonexistant or used very sparingly in thrash. Also, death metal never has clean vocals as the primary vocal style, whereas thrash often does. However, what I mentioned does not account for some old school death metal that features very little blastbeats and tremolo picking, such as Death and Obituary. I've always thought that most death metal can be described accurately as extreme thrash. If you listen to bands such as Malevolent Creation, Asphyx, Suffocation (Pierced from Within), Pestilence, etc. you'll hear an obvious thrash influence.

I suggest you listen to Wicked Innocence - Worship. It is about 50/50 clean to harsh vocal wise.

Ex-cally-boo said:
I suggest you listen to Wicked Innocence - Worship. It is about 50/50 clean to harsh vocal wise.

I sent him the album awile back so he's heard it.

trash is trash and death is death. Trash is the god father of death , so without trash there is no death metal.

Life Sucks said:

I'm into more oldschool death metal and a lot of it does not have blastbeats.

You've all missed the truth. It's down to trousers (or, amusingly to Brits, as you Americans would say, "pants").

Thrash = skin tight black jeans, short legged, white high-topped trainers.

Death = Baggy sweat pants, canvas trainers. Shell suits.

All other explanations are folly.

The Greys said:
I'm into more oldschool death metal and a lot of it does not have blastbeats.
Actually most of it does. Death and Obituary are actually the only two oldschool death metal bands I can think of that don't have any blastbeats at all. Morbid Angel, Incantation, Demilich, Amorphis (1st album), Demigod, Entombed (first two), Sinister, Cannibal Corpse, Brutality, Carnage, etc., and just about any other old school dm band does incorporate blastbeats, although not all that frequently, and not in every song.

I don't remember hearing any blastbeats in Carnage or Brutality. In fact, most Swedish and Finnish Death Metal is nearly entirely devoid of blastbeats, and that's how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.