What are you learning?

Eternal Dragon, are you going to go into sound engineering by any chance?
Probably not. Either way its going to be a hobby of mine for a long time to come.

I'm hoping to get a medium-high payed job for 3-4 years and then at that time if I have a good enough idea i'll start up my own business. Once that business takes off i'll sell it for $10-20million at the least, invest most of it, then live off the interest. Thats the basic plan of my ideal situation. By that time I should be good enough to start a full-time band :). Although i'm likely to be at least 40 by the time that happens, lol.

The 2nd situation will be that I end up with a well payed (AU$100K per year or more) job and live a normal life with a nice house, family, grand piano, maybe a holiday home, part-time band. A nice moderate and content lifestyle with enough money to do most things that I want.

The 3rd situation is that I get a really good job once I finish uni, and I start a really good band also. I get offered a spot on all the major tours around the world, then have a VERY big decision to make.

I'm not really thinking too much about the future, but I really do want to finish uni because firstly I like what i'm doing, and secondly it will give me financial security and hopefully enough money to buy music gear, possibly a recording setup etc...... which on a muso's income would be a little harder.

yeah, thanks for the input you guys.

Meedley, you're right about the paying the bills things. cuz i know i'm probably gonna move out soon, so i definitely need to have a good job in order to pay rent and bills.

but the thing is, if you major in something other than music, you wont be able to dedicate yourself to music full time. and i think in order to be a great musician, you should dedicate yourself fully to music. so maybe working in a recording studio or a record label would be cool.

I should have clarified. I didn't necessarily mean something along the lines of "hey, I'm going to start going to med. school just in case this music thing doesn't work out". I just think it's really important to have some kind of plan. I can look around at the people I go to school with and pick out (with almost 100% confidence) several people who will never have a career in music. It's not that they aren't good musicians or anything like that (well, there are some cases, but that's another discussion for another day), but it seems more like they came to music school because they couldn't think of something better to do with their time and money and are just taking a leap of faith that something will come along. A job as a performing musician comes with a lot less job security than many career fields, so a back up plan is important. In some cases, that back up plan might even just be an alternative career in music. Or, in there's no shame in this, one might even deliver pizza 5 nights a week so they can get by well enough to spend time gigging and playing in bands. I guess I'm kind of going off on a tangent at this point (maybe I'm not even being coherent right now), but my point in all this is that you never want to pigeon-hole yourself into something that you can't get out of. From what I understand, all the guys in SX, for example, work other jobs outside of just being in the band. And as far as I'm concerned, I would definitely still consider them successful in the their careers.

As far as majoring in something other than music not leaving enough time for music, that's probably true. Being a music major I know that that takes up pretty much all of my time, so I imagine other studies (if taken as seriously as I take mine) would be pretty time consuming as well. That's where you have to take your goals into consideration. Not all things in music would require (or even benefit for that matter) from getting a degree in music.

back to on topic posts......I decided to let "wonderful slippery thing" sit on the back burner for a while. I'm working on transcribing andy timmons "beware dark days". I've got most of the riffs/melodies worked out, it's just going to be a matter of working out the more intricate stuff and sorting out the nit-picky things and actually putting the whole thing on paper. Also, I just picked up Jon Damian's "The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising". It's a GREAT read and I advise all guitar players to check it out.

I should have clarified. I didn't necessarily mean something along the lines of "hey, I'm going to start going to med. school just in case this music thing doesn't work out". I just think it's really important to have some kind of plan. I can look around at the people I go to school with and pick out (with almost 100% confidence) several people who will never have a career in music. It's not that they aren't good musicians or anything like that (well, there are some cases, but that's another discussion for another day), but it seems more like they came to music school because they couldn't think of something better to do with their time and money and are just taking a leap of faith that something will come along. A job as a performing musician comes with a lot less job security than many career fields, so a back up plan is important. In some cases, that back up plan might even just be an alternative career in music. Or, in there's no shame in this, one might even deliver pizza 5 nights a week so they can get by well enough to spend time gigging and playing in bands. I guess I'm kind of going off on a tangent at this point (maybe I'm not even being coherent right now), but my point in all this is that you never want to pigeon-hole yourself into something that you can't get out of. From what I understand, all the guys in SX, for example, work other jobs outside of just being in the band. And as far as I'm concerned, I would definitely still consider them successful in the their careers.

As far as majoring in something other than music not leaving enough time for music, that's probably true. Being a music major I know that that takes up pretty much all of my time, so I imagine other studies (if taken as seriously as I take mine) would be pretty time consuming as well. That's where you have to take your goals into consideration. Not all things in music would require (or even benefit for that matter) from getting a degree in music.

back to on topic posts......I decided to let "wonderful slippery thing" sit on the back burner for a while. I'm working on transcribing andy timmons "beware dark days". I've got most of the riffs/melodies worked out, it's just going to be a matter of working out the more intricate stuff and sorting out the nit-picky things and actually putting the whole thing on paper. Also, I just picked up Jon Damian's "The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising". It's a GREAT read and I advise all guitar players to check it out.

don't worry, you made perfect sense. i've thought out the same exact thoughts (for example, having a job such as delivering pizza five nights a week just to get by as a musician). yeah this isn't a very easy field, or maybe i mean secure field to get into, but oh well, some of us actually live for what WE want to do. i know so many kids who are becoming doctors and lawyers just for the sake of money/prestige. that's a waste of a life in my opinion.

and currently, i'm learning Amon Amarth's pursuit of the vikings.

Speaking of "pursuit of vikings".....some kid in my music theory class used that for his class presentation last week. I can't remember what he was using it to show but it was amusing nonetheless....mostly because of my teacher's reaction to it.

Anyway, i started finals last wednesday and finish this coming thursday. I've got 6 tunes I've gotta have memorized for one of my performance classes, one of which (take 5) I finished transcribing the sax solo for last week. I pretty much aced everything so far, excluding my sight reading exam which I think I got a "B" on. Everything that's left should be a breeze, now it's just a matter of working out a few little rough spots in my recital pieces.

Learning Crazy Train with my teacher... I'm planning on getting a Jackson RR so I should at least be able to play something by Rhoads.

Speaking of "pursuit of vikings".....some kid in my music theory class used that for his class presentation last week. I can't remember what he was using it to show but it was amusing nonetheless....mostly because of my teacher's reaction to it.

Anyway, i started finals last wednesday and finish this coming thursday. I've got 6 tunes I've gotta have memorized for one of my performance classes, one of which (take 5) I finished transcribing the sax solo for last week. I pretty much aced everything so far, excluding my sight reading exam which I think I got a "B" on. Everything that's left should be a breeze, now it's just a matter of working out a few little rough spots in my recital pieces.

lucky you. my finals end june 5th. and i also have a sight reading test, but its for sight singing.

is your sight reading and the 6 tunes for guitar?

just finished the last of my finals this afternoon. I aced everything except for my aural skills, which I got a B in.

My teacher gave me quite the piece to work on over the summer. It's a piece by Carlo Domeniconi called "Koyunbaba". Domeniconi is originally from Italy, received a diploma from the conservatory in Pesaro at age 17, then went on to study in West Berlin (the berlin university of the arts...i think it was called something else back then though). He then taught there at least until the mid-late 80's. In 1985, while on a sabatical in Turkey he wrote the piece with inspiration from the Turkish folk music he was studying. The name "koyunbaba" means "sheperd". Domeniconi said in some interview that it is also a reference to a 13th century saint-like guy. Legend has it that the area he is from is cursed, as are his descendents (who's family name is Koyunbaba). Domeniconi also started the guitar department at the conservatory in Istanbul.

That's the basic info that my teacher told me about and had me read up on. I really like doing that kind of research when I'm learning a piece...helps me feel a lot more connected and it definitely helps me interpret the piece lot better I think. Anyway...the piece is pure badassery. It's in open C#m tuning, which is kind of ackward right now, but it'll be more than worth getting used to. Here's a pretty good rendition of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szY7jmWHXJc

I haven't gotten to deep into the piece yet so I don't have an opinion as far as her interpretation, but the execution is certainly there.

I know it's long, but if you have time, definitely sit and check out the whole thing. It's an incredible piece.

thanks!

I'll definitely be recording a video of that (and some of the other pieces I've done this year). I'll be going home for the summer and my parents have a digital camera/video recorder. I'm just REALLY hoping I can have that one down by the end of the summer well enough for recording, if not it'll just be a little longer...but I definitely like the piece way too much to not record it at some point.

Oh awesome. Well again, good luck with learning it. 12+ mins is a loooong piece to learn.

Is the sheet music avaliable online for fr££?

Not that I know of, I haven't looked though. My teacher lent me his copy while I'm waiting for mine to show up in the mail. You could probably find a tab of it somewhere (i know there's a site that has tabs for all kinds of classical guitar pieces), but I reccomend you don't waste your time with that. You miss out on A LOT of important stuff when you try to use tabs for classical guitar stuff and I've never seen one that was accurate.

http://www.gspguitar.com/jsp2/detai...alpha=&search_keyword=koyunbaba&source=search

There's where I bought mine. It's a bit pricey (compared to some pieces), but I'm sure the length of the piece (it's 20 pages) has something to do with that. That place is THE best place to shop for guitar sheet music. I just ordered that and a few Andrew York pieces last week.

i decided i was going to learn stabwound (i hadnt listened to it for a bout 3 days, and foolishly forgot how fast some of the sweeping is).

think im gonna have to give it a miss. how is mohammed so fast

^He practiced for 3 years before recording Onset on putrefaction, but i guess doing all those shows keeps the chops up.