What are you learning?

well I don't have that album, but I'm familar with those tunes. I think you'd probably like most of the Chick Corea Acoustic band stuff. You should also check out Return to Forever (one of Corea's groups). The album "where have I known you before" is a really good one. Their stuff when Al Di Meola was with them is the best IMO.

time for me to make an on-topic post lol

Right now I'm working on Giuliani's "Les Folies D'Espagna", the sax solo on "Take Five", and I just found a transcripion of Guthie's "wonderful slippery thing" so I'm going to start working on that in my free time. I just can't wait until this summer so I'll have more time to work on things that aren't for school

time for me to make an on-topic post lol

Right now I'm working on Giuliani's "Les Folies D'Espagna", the sax solo on "Take Five", and I just found a transcripion of Guthie's "wonderful slippery thing" so I'm going to start working on that in my free time. I just can't wait until this summer so I'll have more time to work on things that aren't for school

man, i feel ya on that! i feel like there is so much wanna do right now, like i want to learn a lot of songs and practice a lot of theory (as in actually apply it to the instrument and not just study it!) but school always gets in the way of my practice time. taking 6 college classes isn't easy when you're trying to teach yourself 2 instruments at the same time :(

by the way, i really love the advice you give. you seem wise and knowledgable about music. may i ask your age? and how many years you've been practicing music?

i know...everytime i pass by my piano or look at my guitar, i have to fight the urge not to start playing cuz there are so many papers to write and exams to study for. man, i hate this :cry: i think starting from next semester, i'm gonna try taking just music classes although i know i have to take calculus as well :rolleyes:

I'm really hating computers atm. And the reason for that is because I spent 3 whole days debugging the operating system I'm working on for uni, only to realise this........

&Function should be....
Function

....because a function is already an address!!!! How stupid of me.

by the way, i really love the advice you give. you seem wise and knowledgable about music. may i ask your age? and how many years you've been practicing music?

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to consider myself wise or knowledgeable lol but thanks, I appreciate the compliment!

I'm only 19. I've been playing guitar since i was 12, but I've been taking my study very seriously since I was about 14. I played guitar in the jazz band all throughout high school and played the string bass in symphonic band during my senior year. I've been studying jazz and theory for a little over 5 years now and I started classical guitar back in august. I'm just finishing out my first year at McNally Smith College of Music. That's pretty much it in a nutshell!

that's awesome. i'm 19 too :D but i've only started learning theory this past year. i kinda wanna start learnin jazz theory but first i have to wait till i understand all the classical stuff. from what i know, jazz gets very complicated. i would also like to go a music college, but i'm uncertain as to where a major in music would get me...and my parents are giving me a hard time about it. they say music should be my hobby and not my career, but i don't really wanna do anything else in life. i mean yeah, the money is great if you become a lawyer or go into business, but happiness is better. so i'm in a bit of a rut. oh wellz, just go with the flow i guess....

I was in the same situation, but i'm glad I did engineering now. It relates to music because it gives you the skills to make amps, stompboxes, theremins :D, and once u get good even a keyboard could be possible. So I've always been able to see a light at the end of the tunnel, and hence music has kept me interested and kept me focussed.

the "happiness over money" mentality only works until you have bills to pay:)

In all seriousness though, if you you really want something, then I feel you should pursue it at least on some level. Just make sure you have some sort of gameplan and that you are really dedicated to whatever it is you are pursuing. A full-time career in music isn't for everyone so it's certainly not a bad idea to have something to fall back on. Same goes for any path you could take in life as far as I'm concerned.

Do what you love man. Money does not matter as long as you love what you do! :kickass:

I was in the same situation, but i'm glad I did engineering now. It relates to music because it gives you the skills to make amps, stompboxes, theremins :D, and once u get good even a keyboard could be possible. So I've always been able to see a light at the end of the tunnel, and hence music has kept me interested and kept me focussed.

the "happiness over money" mentality only works until you have bills to pay:)

In all seriousness though, if you you really want something, then I feel you should pursue it at least on some level. Just make sure you have some sort of gameplan and that you are really dedicated to whatever it is you are pursuing. A full-time career in music isn't for everyone so it's certainly not a bad idea to have something to fall back on. Same goes for any path you could take in life as far as I'm concerned.

yeah, thanks for the input you guys.

Meedley, you're right about the paying the bills things. cuz i know i'm probably gonna move out soon, so i definitely need to have a good job in order to pay rent and bills.

but the thing is, if you major in something other than music, you wont be able to dedicate yourself to music full time. and i think in order to be a great musician, you should dedicate yourself fully to music. so maybe working in a recording studio or a record label would be cool.

Eternal Dragon, are you going to go into sound engineering by any chance?