What are you learning?

The opening arpeggios to Smoke And Mirrors...

I can do the arpeggios fine enough, but getting them up to speed... *shakes head in frustration...*

Thats the same on keys. I can do them pretty fast, and in a session I might build it up to uber fast if I iron out all the mistakes....... but then when I go and run it against the song to check the speed my brain just explodes because its actually UBERZOMGCRAZY fast instead of just uber fast.

So the problem is that I can play it faster than most people would ever want to play arpeggios, but that isnt enought :lol:.

yeah its loads of hassle playing along with the CDs, you have to tune down and that, my floyd rose isnt at all interested in that, and i play with 8s, they get so loose when you get it down to D standard. the serpents kiss sounds like it goes lower than D as well, guess thats his new guitars :)

standard tuning ftw

The other day at band practice the singer asked if I could tune down a half step to make the song easier for him to sing. I said no.

That was his first and last rehearsal with the band (not because of that btw)

@anacrucix: 8's:OMG: I feel weird with anything lower than 10's and even then I'm wishing I had 11's.

you guys play (or want to play, in the case of Meedley) in standard tuning using 11's?!!! that would feel so thick imo! do you guys have fairly fat fingers or something?

and it'd also be harder to pick...especially using a .88 pick

i used to get RSI real bad, and I found that using 8s i didnt get any problems whatsoever, so i've been using them ever since! if i stay in standard d though im gonna have to put some 9s on, got some elixirs about somewhere!

you guys play (or want to play, in the case of Meedley) in standard tuning using 11's?!!! that would feel so thick imo! do you guys have fairly fat fingers or something?

and it'd also be harder to pick...especially using a .88 pick

yep,standard tuning. Though I will say that part of my initial reason for going up to 11's was so that I would have the option of tuning down a bit if need be and still retaining a tension that I can still play with. I don't think i have fat fingers:lol:. A lot of it is tone purposes, thicker strings just sound better to me. I don't think I'd ever go higher than 11's on an electric though (excluding hollowbodies). As far as it being harder to pick, I find it to be the opposite actually. Pretty much the same concept as using a thicker pick (in my case, Dunlop jazztone R205...way better than jazz III imo)

I have trouble playing with tiny strings, pinched harmonics are so much harder to pull off and it just sounds lame to me. Thick strings give it a fatter tone, which I love.

if you get used to pinching on 8s, you can pinch on anything. in standard, 8s seem to be nice for sweeping, in standard D they are just to loose and the sound when your playing low down is pretty odd, i dont get fretbuzz but i just get a lot of noise along with the note, but in standard its fine *shrug* i love the pointiness of the Jazz III and its size means it fits perfectly in my little midget hands :)