What are you listening to today?

<--- Ensiferum - Stone Cold Metal [Ensiferum-From_Afar-(Advance)-2009-FNT] 07:25 [Folk Metal]

The instrumental breakdown in the middle is like an Ennio Morricone (spaghetti western) soundtrack...win!

At Vance - Salvation Day from "Ride the Sky".

Not bad, the Celtic intro is definitely interesting (as is the cover, tuh hur hur hur hur :D).

Opeth - Burden: One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Such amazing melodies, a great keyboard solo and the end with the guitars being tuned down while played is just stunning!

Dream Theater - Wither: Usually I think that the soft songs of Dream Theater lack some emotion, but this song is truly amazing! If the rest of this album is just as great I guess I'll have to buy it... :)

Amorphis - The Way

Ahh good ol' Pasi. I miss his vocals, even though "Far from the Sun" was, to me, just awful. :D

Amorphis - The Way

Ahh good ol' Pasi. I miss his vocals, even though "Far from the Sun" was, to me, just awful. :D

Far from the Sun was just terrible in every way, including his vocals. I actually prefer Joutsen period. His cleans are more passionate, and his growls are more demonic, just a fantastic vocalist all around, he really revitalized Amorphis in a way their music alone could not have.

Been watching episodes of 300...so Immortal, esp "Beautiful Death" has been played.
Also, PM's Egnimatic Calling is quite superb!
...soon to be released-Pagans Mind Live Equation ...can't fukin wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to agree with you there. That's a definite have-to-buy release for me, and I don't buy all that many live CD/DVDs. All hail!!! :kickass:

Far from the Sun was just terrible in every way, including his vocals. I actually prefer Joutsen period. His cleans are more passionate, and his growls are more demonic, just a fantastic vocalist all around, he really revitalized Amorphis in a way their music alone could not have.

I'm for Joutsen of course, he does have emotion and has a death grunt from hell. But I just miss Pasi's vocals when it comes to pipey songs like "Rusty Moon", and elevator headbanger "Crimson Wave". One of his bands is considered to be stoner rock, and after hearing some of his songs in Amorphis, it's not surprising. :D

And yes, I'll say again that "Far from the Sun" was "far from their best" :D:D ugh, terrible TERRIBLE!! My heart broke when I forced myself to listen to it for the 4th full time and came to the sad realization that it served better as a coffee coaster. :(

Serenity - Words Untold and Dreams Unlived

I already own their latest album Fallen Sanctuary - that is incredible - for almost a year and it took me so long to go back in their history. But now I have discovered this album, it's their second one I think.

If you love Kamelot you will love that one too I guess. I like Kamelot a lot by now, but whenever I listen to them I miss some heaviness, even in songs like When The Lights Are Down. And this heaviness I find with Serenity... those guys are simply amazing. And they have a little surprise in almost every song on this album, just listen to Reduced to Nothingness (my favorite at the moment) or Dead Man Walking. :kickass:

Serenity has two demos, and two full lengths (WUADU is the debut, FS is the sophomore)

I LOVE this band to death. I found them through this thread and a post by Michael about how awesome FS is. I have been hooked ever since.

The Arcane Order - In The Wake of Collisions Sanctity of Allegiance

Yeah this is some heavy ass shit! Kasper Thomson belongs far more in this band since his vocals are absolutely obsessed sounding. Excellent and addictive songs all over. Well, I'll let this do the talking:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah this is some heavy ass shit! Kasper Thomson belongs far more in this band since his vocals are absolutely obsessed sounding. Excellent and addictive songs all over. Well, I'll let this do the talking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4A2xLT3QOU

Wow, didn't know anyone else listened to these guys! I got this album when it came out, fucking slays... in fact its been a while, I think i'll put it on!

Yunno, I heard that Metal Blade has the album out, but only as paid downloads and that kinda pisses me off. It just feels better to have an actual legit physical copy of the album. I like going through the pages and reading the lyrics. I can't understand most of what Kasper is psychotically bellowing out (as only he can!! Well and Devy in his younger years, too).

So would you know of a good site (good as in not cdinzane, who can french my cornhole) that sells legit copies of this album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4A2xLT3QOU

Quite interesting I have to admit! The music is great, but I think the vocals are too much screamed for me, not sure I will enjoy a whole album with that voice.