What are you listening to?

One Man Army by Ensiferum - possibly the best I've heard from them, which is pretty nice after the piece of garbage called Unsung Heroes. Generally this is more mid-tempo compared to their early albums, which at times brings up the obligatory Amorphis comparisons. One of the songs actually starts similar to "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion" by Agalloch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't even aware that a new Moonspell release is imminent until I received a surprise promo this week, but it's been on heavy rotation since then. :D

Of Ensiferum I kinda lost track after Victory Songs, but the one above sounds good. Will check out the rest, too...

Of Ensiferum I kinda lost track after Victory Songs, but the one above sounds good. Will check out the rest, too...
Also have to mention Two of Spades, that's one crazy track. Kinda reminds me of Turisas20whatever, except this brings a smile on my face. It even features none other than Frederik!

Just survived two hours of listening to the BBC Rock Show, whose host excels in the art of making the word "amazing" sound something like "oh no not cabbage casserole again". Finally my suffering was rewarded with the promised new Enslaved track, but sure enough it was cut short after four minutes. On the basis of this truncated version I dare not say more about the song yet than that it would have deserved a worthier premiere. :p

^They could have pre-empted one of the djent-y metalcore kiddie bands to give Enslaved a full showing.

Preordered the album and downloaded the Thurisaz Dreaming mp3 last week. Waiting for the new Barren Earth to hit pre-order as well. CM Distro has a page for the digipack and the two vinyl versions if you do a direct search (and mess with the URL), but no track listings or order info as of yet. Do not know if they will have any other sort of packages on offer.

how is the new Moonspell?

Good if you ask me. :D I find it a bit darker than the last one - still full of great melodies, sure, but with a rawer intensity to it. Some duly brutal passages, plenty of poetic melancholy, very recognizably Moonspell but with fresh elements, e.g. "Medusalem" has some Eastern touches to it and "La Baphomette" an almost jazzy feel. The new video track gives a fairly appropriate impression:

Elder - Lore

Psychedelic/stoner. Sounds like a lot of fun, even though there's been no real surprises so far.

elder-lore.jpg

Good if you ask me. :D I find it a bit darker than the last one - still full of great melodies, sure, but with a rawer intensity to it. Some duly brutal passages, plenty of poetic melancholy, very recognizably Moonspell but with fresh elements, e.g. "Medusalem" has some Eastern touches to it and "La Baphomette" an almost jazzy feel. The new video track gives a fairly appropriate impression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rys8aTGHGyU

I listened to the entire album last night and it's great. My favorite 2015 release so far.

One Man Army by Ensiferum - possibly the best I've heard from them, which is pretty nice after the piece of garbage called Unsung Heroes.

One Man Army is best what thay have done after debut and Iron. Ensiferum was one of my favourites when I was teenager, this is now a bit same feeling. There are bottoms and upps (as almost every album in the world), but there are more upps than bottoms. Their lastest albums have been more or less bottoms.

At Nosturi gig they switched their instruments and played Breaking the law :D

New Moonspell is fabulous! I haven't listen to Moonspell since Darkness and Hope, but Eurynome said that this should be listened. I think I even need to buy this.

Gave a couple of spins on the new Von Hertzen Brothers, and unfortunately it's not worth much more. Alternative rock by the numbers, with some alright tunes.

Apina - Infektiko

Another reminder of how you should keep an open mind about music. Apina play rap/alternative metal and their musicianship and taste is a pleasant surprise. Lyrics are below par though, for the most part...