What are you listening to?

New Perturbator single from the upcoming album "The Uncanny Valley".
The song itself is great, one of the smoother things he made and is quite nice, but the video is mind-blowing. In any case, really looking forward to this and I pre-ordered the special edition.

Another one of those moments when a band I've known of for a long time suddenly just clicks and becomes a part of my musical landscape instead of being largely ignored. This time it's Arcturus:

No idea why this happens. It's not like I haven't heard parts of it before. :confused:

We Finns are pretty good at this metal thing, it seems. This new Embreach album just went to my personal top of 2016 with a solid hybrid of modern prog and atmospheric melodeath. They surely know how to write a vocal hook, and the simple riff in this song had totally sucked me in when it came up the second time. Oh, and they'll be at Tuska!

The whole album is up on Soundcloud.

Sounds like John Haughm got tired of collaborating with the rest of Agalloch and decided to do his own thing. Wonder if this will open up some space for another release from Sculptured? Maybe something a bit less avant garde?

I'm planning to brew a batch of Cascadian Black Ale in honor of Agalloch. "In the Shadow of Our Pale Ale" or "Black Ale Nidstang" or some such thing. Doing research on the style to figure out what grain and hops to use.

Reactions: papajohnny
Sounds like John Haughm got tired of collaborating with the rest of Agalloch and decided to do his own thing. Wonder if this will open up some space for another release from Sculptured? Maybe something a bit less avant garde?

Hm, Sculptured didn't cross my mind. Yeah, something new of theirs would be pretty cool.

As for Haughm, I don't think he will get back into any band. He seems to enjoy making his solo project a lot, given his productivity in the last few years. I think he will be continuing that one, with maybe another collaboration with Grassow, Menche etc.
Fun thing is, according to Aesop Dekker, the problem arose because Haughm's girlfriend meddled too much with the band. That is both a hilarious and an extremely depressing rock n roll deja vu.

In any case, good riddance and thanks for a lot. I just hope that Haughm doesn't give Agalloch a "fresh start" with members other than the established four - since he has suggested that in his (quite pretentious) farewell explanation. Agalloch is dead and should stay dead, don't give it a new start or turn it into a bedroom solo project.

I'm planning to brew a batch of Cascadian Black Ale in honor of Agalloch. "In the Shadow of Our Pale Ale" or "Black Ale Nidstang" or some such thing. Doing research on the style to figure out what grain and hops to use.

I really wish I could try some of that stuff that you're brewing.
Do you have a dedicated thread about that? I can't recall, but I don't think you do. Make one!

The gig on vappu in Berlin got me totally hooked to the Helsinki Vampires. Batshit crazy and the hottest stickman ever. Looking forward to seeing them live again at Virgin Oil, Helsinki in September.

Actually I'm back to listening to a lot of radio lately. Namely Rock Klassiker Stockholm and Radio Rock Helsinki. Two of my fav drummers, Ian Haugland of Europe and Jussi 69 of The 69 Eyes are working as radio DJs for them and though I understand neither Swedish nor Finnish, those guys are a lot of fun. Plus, both stations got nice playlists. The Finns are maybe a bit too fond of Rammstein, but other than that...

Strangely enough, Genesis - Selling England by the Pound.

I would embed Dancing With the Moonlit Knight as the most rocking song on the album, or Firth of Fifth with Hackett's devastating guitar solo still one of my favorite solos ever, but I've been playing the acoustic a lot what with my electric currently ripped apart while I redo the wiring. Genesis was a band of amazing musicians, but as I've gotten older I am more and more impressed by Mike Rutherford's contributions. Dude was a monster bass player, but spent half of his time live playing bass on foot pedals while he was fingerpicking the 12-string parts on his doubleneck bass/12-string guitar.

It's still on of my early musical memories. I must have been about five and my brothers in their late teens. I remember sitting in their bedroom on a big velvet beanbag with them sitting on the top bunkbed and Cinema Show playing on the turntable. I was prog from an early age.

The delicate 12-string opening of Cinema Show stuck with me like Proust's madeleine. It's one of the reasons why I so love the beginning of Katatonia's Sulfur:

You gotta know that Jonas and Anders were picking up the same vibe I was.

Speaking of which... I finally bught the new Katatonia album "The Fall of Hearts"... Album of the year. I am so in love with it. Can't wait to see them in October.

I've been listening to Amorphis non-stop for the last two months (I still have so much to discover, such a great feeling), I think I caught a bug... But it's a very welcome bug!

Right now:

Amorphis
Sampo

Last edited: