What are your three favorite vocal parts?

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
Opeth have some great vocal parts. I especially like the type that make me want to punch something or drive my car into a wall. they are as follows:
1) i awoke from the miasma, passing swiftly through the moor......
2) the whole first stanza of the funeral portrait
3) it was me, peering through the looking glass, beyond the embrace of christ...

of course, these are nothing without the accompanying music.
what are your favorites?

It was all true, the palour strode, and the night sets forever...
It was me, peering though the looking glass...
Open your soul, redeem, I am immortal

where are #1 and #3 from? forgive my ignorance but i dont read lyrics unless i really like the way they sound (hence the reason i know the ones i posted). to be able to sing along to those parts, it helps to know what theyre saying eh? unless its, "what would they say if i was gay, noone would know, hooooomoooooo." i will try to find the parts you like...........

thanks. i was right about #1 but i dont remember #3. ill have to go listen......

gin drinker: my bad, i meant opeth lyrics. i sure fucked up this thread didnt i? also, i like your location. whats the story behind "shit hole"? ive been to toronto and thought it was kinda cool. what did i miss?

I have quite a few favourite Opeth vocal parts, They consist of..

- ''Darkness encloses, And the candle seem to expire'' - In Mist She Was Standing

- ''In the coldness of night, EEAARRGGHH!'' - The Twilight Is My Robe

- ''At the waters i dwell'' - The Twilight Is My Robe

- '' UURRGGHH! In this forest, Where wolves cry their agony unto the moon'' - The Apostle In Triumph

- ''Through the eternal flame i travel, As the rain keeps falling'' The Apostle In Triumph

- ''We walked into the night, Am i to bid you farewell'' - To Bid You Farewell

- '' UURRGGHH! It was me peering through the looking glass, Beyond the embrace of christ'' - April Ethereal

- ''Run away, run away. Just one second, And i was left with nothing. Her fragrance still pulsating through damp hair. That day came to an end. And she had lost in me, her credence'' - Demon Of The Fall

- ''Credence in my word'' - Credence

- ''The sigh of summer upon my return, Fifteen alike since i was here'' - The Moor

- ''EEAARRGGHH! Outcast with dogmas forged below'' - The Moor

- ''If you'll bear with me, You'll fear of me, You'd never leave me to, A fate with you'' - The Moor

- ''I took her by the hand to say, All fate faith forever has been washed away, I returned for you in great dismay, Come with me, Far away to stay'' - Face Of Melinda

- ''White faced, Haggard Grin, This serenity painted death. With a halo of bitter disease, Black paragon in lingering breath'' - Serenity Painted Death

-''Each & everyone would die at my hand, Choking in warm ponds of blood'' - Serenity Painted Death

- ''Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark, The sun sets forever over blackwater park'' - Blackwater Park

- ''In the corner beside my window, There hangs a lonely photograph. There is no reason, I'd ever notice. A memory that could hold me back'' - Hope Leaves

jaykeegan: goddam. thanks for sharing. i especially like how you put in the "uuuurggghh!" i shouldve done that.

-''Each & everyone would die at my hand, Choking in warm ponds of blood'' - Serenity Painted Death
- '' UURRGGHH! It was me perring through the looking glass, Beyond the embrace of christ'' - April Ethereal

hell yeah jaykeegan

'In mist, enrobed the TWIIIIIIILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT... she was standing...'
'You sleep in the light, yet the night and the silent water, still so dark...'
'YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH' (long scream at the end of Black Rose Immortal'
'And she was swathed in SORROOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!'
'Eerie circles upon the waters.... AHHHHHHHHHHH![/i]
'AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Demon, demon of the fall. Demon, demon of the fall. Demon, demon of the fall. Demon, demon of the FAAAAAAAALL!'
'AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHHHHHH' (really long scream at the end of Karma)
'White face, haggard grin; this serenity painted death. With a halo of bitter disease, a black paragon in lingering breeeeeeeeath.'
'You waiiiiit by the winDOOOW...'
'Every wretched dream... PLUNGING INTO THE DEEPEST VOID, DISCARDED SHELL LEFT DRAINED BEHIIIIIIIIIIND!'
'Blank face in the windowpane...'

1.There is no absolution,Death is but a fairytale,They are mere visions,They are afraid of me - Wreath
2.Adoring what never has been,Some will bring with them all they have seen - Godhead's Lamet
3.Enough of this,You will leave me now,You will see it now,Perish at my hands - The Funeral Portrait

Top 3 are:
Serenity Painted Death
"Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood"

The Amen Corner
"WHITE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Blackwater Park
"Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater park"

Others:

Under The Weeping Moon
"I laugh under the weeping moon"

Deliverance
"walk with me, you'll never leave
wait to see your spirit free
tell me how your heart's in need
as i drown you in the sea"

Advent
"Shadows skulk at my coming
We survey the slopes"
(especially when the second line is sung)

"Blank Godhead, tear my name..." - Godhead's Lament
"In mist enrobed the twilight..." & "Darkness encloses..." - In Mist She Was Standing
"Once again, I've cried unto the moon..." - Under The Weeping Moon
"Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark, the sun sets forever over Blackwater Park" - Blackwater Park
"White face, haggard grin, this serenity painted death..." - Serenity Painted Death
"Deliverance, thrown back at me, deliverance, laughing at me..." - Deliverance
"We are inside the glade, every now and then, I wipe the dust aside, to remember..." & "We are almost there..." - Advent
"Gazing unto the stars, please, take me there..." & "I fall alone while leaves fall from the weeping trees..." - Forest Of October
"If only for another second..." - The Night And The Silent Water
"Lullaby of the crescent moon, took you..." - Black Rose Immortal
"I stand motionless, in a parade of falling rain..." - To Bid You Farewell
"I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure..." - April Ethereal
"This day wept on my shoulders..." - When
"Movement for departed hope..." - Master's Apprentices

All of Karma
Moonlapse Vertigo outro
When outro
April Ethereal outro

Well, I could go on for a while... Mikael's vocals are too good for just a top 3. ;)

"And so comes the dark
Vibrant as ever before
Flowers already withered
In this endless winter of souls" - By The Pain I See In Others

"The celestial touch, from grey to black. A fathomless void enclosing.

Unwritten secrets beneath the cobwebs. I can not endure." - The Amen Corner

"The forest of October
Sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time
Hides my last trace

My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul
I fall alone
While leaves fall from the weeping trees" - Forest Of October

The vocals are really cool in these parts but I must say the music around the parts have a certain affection on my "judgement".

I'll take three from the Still Life album:

"Across the leafy pathway/ their deeds smeared in blod/ for all to behold/ the council of the cross"

"Whited faced, haggard grin/ this serenity painted death/ with a halo of bitter disease/ black paragon in lingering breath" (both times)

"I was foul and tainted, devoid of faith/ wearing my death-mask at birth/ the hands of God, decrepit and thin/ cold caress and then nothing"