• Absence Of Light
  • Smoke And Mirrors
  • The Accolade
  • Winter's Dream
  • Dressed To Kill
  • Fool's Paradise
  • Through the looking glass

Tomorrow would be different! :)

1) The Edge of Forever (have to agree w/ Prismatic Sphere on this)
2) Accolade (the section from 6:00-8:00 is just godly)
3) Divine Wings of Tragedy (couldn't abbreviate it for fear of insulting the song)
4) A Winter Dream (amazing song, but a little too short to be #1)
5) Through the Looking Glass [live] (I think it sounds beter live than it does on TIO)
6) A Fools Paradise (great riffage by MR)
7) Church of the Machine (another great TIO track)
8) King of Terrors (demonstrates most of russ's vocal trange in less than 6 minutes)
9) The Odyssey (some parts are just OK, but most of the song is excellent)
10) Accolade II (not as good as the original, but still an amazing track)

Nice thread-necro'ing there bud. But what the heck I'm bored.

1) Egypt
2) The Odyssey
3) Evolution
4) Rediscovery pt 1 & 2
5) The Accolade
6) Communion and the Oracle
7) The Accolade pt 2
8) Lady of the Snow
9) Candlelight Fantasia
10) The Bird-Serpent War

No order...

The Divine Wings of Tragedy - Just awesome. I love the dueling guitar/keyboard solos, and the vocal performance at the end is jaw-dropping. A couple slips IMO in lyrics, but overall one of the best rock songs ever written.

The Edge of Forever - Very, very good.

A Winter's Dream - This song is one of the few I've ever heard that has real "atmosphere" to it, if that makes sense. Every time I hear it it's like I'm half dreaming and wandering. I wander through serene with you. :p

Revelation - The best lyrical job SX has done IMO - this song really resonates with me personally. It's not overextended like a few of their epics are, but it delivers on every level.

Communion and the Oracle - No explanation needed.

The Accolade - Starts off at a walk, develops into a nice little story, with great melodies and excellent transitions throughout. The chimes in the middle get me every time, as does the ending.

The Relic - Very inspiring chorus. Hard to feel down while listening.

Candlelight Fantasia - Great keyboards and an emotional composition - also reminds me of Premonition without the flaws.

Wicked - Love the mood of this one, very surreal. Always keeps me hooked until the end.

Egypt - The very definition of a well-constructed piece of music. Great recurring themes in melody (and lyrics, too) with an awesome intro and outro.

Yeeeaaaaahhhh, I could do this for a change too:

1. The Divine Wings of Tragedy - I think everyone already knows why it's awesome
2. The Odsyssey - No surprise either
3. Church of The Machine - It's an epic piece with no weaknesses, definitely the strongest performance on TIO for me
4. Accolade II - This one just doesn't get old, even in all it's cheesiness
5. Egypt - The best song on V
6. The Accolade - The trickier one of the Accolade pair, in many ways even more awesome
7. King of Terrors - My favourite out of their really heavy songs, simple, but effective
8. Through the Looking Glass - Not quite "The Odyssey" or "Divine Wings", but great
9. Candlelight Fantasia - It's still so good
10. Revelation - See what Postulate said
The Edge of Forever too, but I think I have over-played it too much to have it here for a while

I like many more songs though.

This list changes quite a bit, although a few of the songs (mainly the epics) are always on there.

In no particular order...

The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey
Through the Looking Glass
Communion and the Oracle
Accolade II
The Walls of Babylon
Candlelight Fantasia
Dressed to Kill
Church of the Machine
Domination

Yes I realize this is hard as so many of their songs are diamond perfect. But please try. Anyway, I shall venture to...

1. The Edge of Forever- The PERFECT Song by the PERFECT Band!
2. A Winter's Dream- Simply Sublime!
3. Candlelight Fantasia- A Deeply personal song for me.
4. The Accolade- OUTSTANDING!
5. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy- GASP!:eek:
6. Pharoah- I love Russ' vocals on this one!:headbang:
7. Sonata/In The Dragon's Den- Totally fucking brilliant!:headbang:
8. Tie~ Sea Of Lies + Lady Of the Snow- Sheer beauty and bliss!
9. Tie~ Dressed To Kill + The Haunting- The middle section to the former song is simply spectacular!
10. Absence Of Light- Russell's cathartic coda is hypnotizing!

Let's see.........2 Albums and 500 tours have occurred since I posted this.:rolleyes:
I think it's time for a little revision:

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy- This song just has oh so many pluses that I have to give it to it. Simply the best song ever written over twenty minutes.

2. The Odyssey- On par with Divine Wings and definitely one of the best songs ever written 20+ IMO(and battling to be the best). And one of the most cinematic.

3. The Edge Of Forever - Still the perfect song by the perfect band.

4. Candlelight Fantasia- Definitely the Symphony X song with the most SOUL.

5. Wicked- One of the sickest grooves on record and Romeo and Russ just go with it. Addicting and prolly my favorite to play at parties or while drunk.

6. Pharaoh - Definitely their most criminally underrated song. Russell at his most cathartic and everybody else in top form. Please oh please play this live one day.

7. Paradise Lost - A golden gem of pure beauty.

8. A Winter's Dream(I+II) - An epic that sadly gets hardly any mention or recognition but that has all the goods that a fantasy epic must have and then some. Amazing melodies and vocal work by Sir Russell.

9. The Accolade - Their most picturesque epic and enchanting.

10. ~Tie~ Revelation + Lady Of The Snow - Top-notch performances and vocals from all and highlights in different areas of both songs. 2 Superb Efforts!!!

This is really tough

1) Evolution
2) Bird Serpent War
3) Communion and the Oracle
4) Egypt/Death of balance
5) Fallen
6) Rediscovery pt 1&2
7) Walls of Babylon
8) Accolade
9) Through the Looking Glass or Church of the Machine
10) Fool's Paradise

This is really hard, but lets try...

1. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. The Accolade
3. Candlelight Fantasia
4. Communion and Oracle
5. Awakenings
6. Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
7. Evolution (The Grand Design)
8. Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragedia)
9. The Walls of Babylon
10. Through the Looking Glass

1 - Fallen
2 - Of Sins and Shadows
3 - The Accolade
4 - Through the Looking Glass
5 - The Odyssey
6 - Awakenings
7 - Communion and the Oracle
8 - Death of Balance
9 - Witching Hour or Eyes of Medusa
10 - Paradise Lost

(i put 11... it's very ard to choose...)

No particular order...

Wicked (Amazing song; seems I am one of the few who really love this one)
King of Terrors
The Accolade II
The Odyssey
The Eyes of Medusa
Rediscovery Pt. 2: The New Mythology
Absence of Light
Egypt
A Fools Paradise
The Walls of Babylon

My favorite song by them if I HAD to choose would probably be the Walls of Babylon; the fuckin' song is great and it is the first of it's kind w/ Russel's vocals hitting that ultra high note and I love it. Pray they do another like it on the next album! It seems I am one of the only people who really love it though :(

I'm just realizing I really love the album V. It's the right amount of heavy and every song is just killer.

I think I am the only person on this thread that really just doesn't like Through the Looking Glass very much... I feel like I'm missing something; I've tried listening to it time and time again and I just don't understand.. Also, I think I speak for everyone looking at all these posts when I say TiO is their weakest album by far...I think there are only really 2 great songs on it :(

No particular order...
It seems I am one of the only people who really love it though :(

I'm just realizing I really love the album V. It's the right amount of heavy and every song is just killer.

Trust me man your not the only one who really likes Walls of Babylon. The song is freakin sick and definitely the best song on PL and one of their best songs overall. I love it and I listen to it a lot! V is nearly perfect I couldn't agree more with you on the things you said

My favorite song by them if I HAD to choose would probably be the Walls of Babylon; the fuckin' song is great and it is the first of it's kind w/ Russel's vocals hitting that ultra high note and I love it. Pray they do another like it on the next album! It seems I am one of the only people who really love it though :(

You aren't alone. It's my favorite from PL by far; the intro instrumental section is mindblowing.

Trust me man your not the only one who really likes Walls of Babylon. The song is freakin sick and definitely the best song on PL and one of their best songs overall. I love it and I listen to it a lot! V is nearly perfect I couldn't agree more with you on the things you said

You aren't alone. It's my favorite from PL by far; the intro instrumental section is mindblowing.

Well thank god for that b/c it's amazing...I hope Russell sees this and continues to throw that one ultra heavy song on the next album. Mindblowing...

Heh funny, at first I was like "WTF?! where is The odyssey!?" But then realized those posts were before The Odyssey had been released :lol:

It's hard to say 10 BEST songs, because many of symhpony x songs work at their best only if you listen the whole cd ( i.e. V) or like in the case of Accolades...

But still gonna make my list, in no oreder of course.. :p

The Odyssey
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Accolade
The Accolade II
Sea of Lies
Through the Looking Glass
Church of the Machine
Egypt
The Edge of Forever
Rediscovery, pt.2, the new mythology

Also, I think I speak for everyone looking at all these posts when I say TiO is their weakest album by far...I think there are only really 2 great songs on it :(

Nope, I love TIO. Especially Church of The Machine, Through the Looking Glass, The Relic, Orion The Hunter and Lady of The Snow. I just might like it more than V for example.