what aren't you listening to right now?

Yeah Lord Worm is pretty terrible nowadays. He wasn't bad live when I saw them a few months back, but he had the benefit of being buried in guitar and snare drum. Have you heard None So Vile?

Stimuli said:
I really tried to give it a chance... but Cryptopsy just sucks...the 13 seconds where the relentless barrage of machine gun double kick takes a break was great. Its obvious these guys (especially the drummer) have chops...but here is a great example of a band that could have all the chops in the world and would still suck...its heavy just for the sake of heaviness... if you get what I mean...Nile and Akercocke make Cryptopsy look like a bunch of retards...
Once Was Not is definitely not the Cryptopsy album that I would pick up first. None So Vile is their best, I think. Again, Lord Worm makes weird noises, but I got used to them over time. Now, it sounds pretty cool to me actually. If you want to hear him make even weirder noises, try Blasphemy Made Flesh :)
I have so far not enjoyed Nile over Cryptopsy. Maybe I should give Nile another spin.

My take on this thread: shit I have listened to in the past that has fallen waaay the hell off my radar.

1. Iron Maiden. I used to have such geeklove for those guys. I find them difficult to even tolerate now. The way they conduct their business has turned me off, too. Far too many live albums, and all have the same songs give or take a few, depending on the latest release.

2. Van Halen. The DLR years are nearly unlistenable to me now. So trite. Very one-trick pony.

3. Arnold Schoenberg. I haven't popped in any atonal, serial music in a long while. Bartok, yes, but he doesn't qualify. Music that demands close attention, and I can't do that and chase around a 15 month old.

mastodon, isis, riverside, dream theater, symphony x, pain of salvation, woods of ypres, orphaned land, tool, disillusion, amon amarth, lamb of god, nightwish

all blow

Kenneth R. said:
roflzoom at this

and this.

A. I am narrowminded.
B. Music does not have to be 'heavy' to be good.

What does roflzoom mean? I meant that Mastodon isn't the heaviest band as a lot of people seem to believe, not that heaviness equals good music. In reply to point A, I have edited your post to include only facts.

illidurit said:
mastodon, isis, riverside, dream theater, symphony x, pain of salvation, woods of ypres, orphaned land, tool, disillusion, amon amarth, lamb of god, nightwish

all blow
I am bored so I will trifle with thee misguided musical tastes. Amon Amarth fucking rule, only a peasant would even utter such a phrase whereupon thee would be quickly beheaded. hahahaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaa

metalwrath has spoken

a folk metal band, to make a generalization, is a group of hairbrained finnish dorks who play ridiculous laughable polka metal and rasp about trolls and beer

the exceptions are the bands that actually combine folk and metal, like agalloch and to a degree opeth

it's the same thing with prog metal, it no longer means progressive metal, it means idiot guitar wank and cheesy synths, while bands like enslaved and opeth are much closer to literally progressive metal

not a big fan of FM; but Agalloch is awsome

:: patiently awaiting::
Ashes Against the Grain

01. Limbs
02. Falling Snow
03. This White Mountain on Which You Will Die
04. Fire Above, Ice Below
05. Not unlike the Waves
06. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
07. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
08. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain

agallochasheslarge.jpg