what aren't you listening to right now?

Kenneth R. said:
whats wrong with folk metal?

I completely agree... one of my favorite genres. Korpiklaani, Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, Skyforger, Falkenbach, and Enslaved are some of my favorite bands. Finntroll was up there too, but I'm a bit bored of them at the moment.

Two metal bands that I think are very over-rated are Cannibal Corpse and Deicide. Oh, and I think Agalloch is pretty weak and lame...

the truly representative bands are incredibly outnumbered by the garbage, it's gone so far that it's a hassle and not worth it to classify correctly

I don't want to take the time to qualify any mention of the genre 'folk metal' because inevitably everyone will say 'omg i like folkearth and finntroll and trollfolk and folktroll too lollerz lul' when I'm talking about the approximate 4 bands that combine acoustic folk and decent metal

metal_wrath said:
I agree about Mastodon, they are not the heaviest band or great songwriters, although they are original, and psychotic so they will go far.

:lol: your either a funny guy or really stupid, Im thinking more along the lines of the later..

illidurit said:
the truly representative bands are incredibly outnumbered by the garbage, it's gone so far that it's a hassle and not worth it to classify correctly
the same can be said of every single genre of music that has ever existed.

yeah but even though a majority of, say, 'punk' is crappy, the crappy punk is still punk

I'm talking about bands that suck and are of a certain genre that have actually hijacked a different genre due to public misconception (aka that symphony x is in any way progressive, or that finntroll has anything to do with folk music)

in limbow said:
System of a Down- dumbed down commercial metal for ADHD 13 year olds who know nothing about music, let alone good metal music

I'm gonna have to defend System of a Down. They really do have some good music. The new albums are mostly crap, but their first 3 albums are quite good IMHO. But I'm biased, because SoaD is pretty much the band that got me into not only metal, but exploring music in general. Now I know there's far better stuff out there, but they have a special place in my heart. Aww, isn't that cute?

peepingtom.jpg