What do SX fans think of Circus Maximus?

I guess I can see the Khan comparison. Never thought of it before. I do pick up a lot of Geoff Tate, but I guess that's pretty obvious with him.

As I was sitting here listening to CM being at times reminded of Kahn and writting that in my post, it went through my mind about Tate but Tate was not who I was hearing. Then I wondered why when I first heard Kahn I felt he was the closest thing to Tate that I had heard. Yet didnt hear Tate in CM.... well anyhow I was baffled..... :lol: pointless I suppose. Regardless the guy whos name I should LEARN applies himself quite well and such comparisions are to me high compliments. He has that higher tone of voice that reminds me of the many pop metal vocalists of the 80's only hes not singing "party in my pants" bullshit :lol: I made that observation of Damian Wilsons voice too when I bought Wounded Land, the only thing I have heard by him.

After the Toronto show, I was chilling outside Subway, and then Sir Allen walked right around the corner (and went into Subway). "I guess this is the place to be!", said he... It... it was awesome. :headbang:

You can compare the entire band to pop music, "only not bullshit." That's one thing I like about them. It's poppy, it's catchy, but it's still good music.

I did notice some of it was like pop metal (hey thats what we called it) but not all of it. At times theres a tad of Labrie-ish melodies but not too much, he's way better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be good to hear them come more into their own though I think. I read they began as a gig band playing DT and SX covers.... I felt it rubbed off too much.

haha, He was so sick that night in Montreal... as far as I know he didn't even wait around to see any fans, and from my understanding that is very rare; Even if its for a brief moment. I just remember him telling the crowd his story, about how the doctor said he really should be singing, but he loves montreal to much, also bout half way through the show he started telling a funny story envolving himself, god, and the devil lol. Can't remember exactly how it went but basically god was like "no my son, you should not sing" and satin was like "SING MOTHER FUCKER". He did the voices and everything, was sweet, what an awesome dude. The whole band seems really awesome, the only one who seems a little reserved and or shy is Pinella.

Back on topic, I love CM! And I would think that a good portion of prog/power metal fans dig there stuff.

Just got into CM a couple of months ago. Some of their stuff hits me really hard, and the other stuff is just meh. But the songs that I like, I like A LOT!! Either way, can't wait to hear the new album when it comes out!

Their best work has gotta be Sane No More...with honorable mentions going to Wither - 1st Chapter - Sin - Mouth of Madness

I love the first album, the 1st Chapter. But the second album is kind of boring...
Would Love to see them live though :p

I cant get into "followers ' like Circus Maximus. Only leaders like SX and DT.

im a prog fanboy, i cant deal with a band that has most of there songs under 6 minutes

I think that CM, while clearly influenced by SX and DT, managed to be a lot more than a rip-off band. There are some of the best guitar riffs I've heard and a huge amount of great moments on their 2 albums. Isolate is a lot darker than The first chapter, but equally awesome.

Some people say they are DT2... I'm a big fan of CM, but I've tried numerous times to get into DT, and I never could. These norwegians are natural musicians just like SX; DT sounds so forced compared to them (not ALL THE TIME though). So that's why I'd say that Circus Maximus took the best off their influences, and blended it their way into simply amazing stuff.

^ I clearly hear a difference between the two bands. CM, to me, have taken some influences and created their own style... and very well. I think you just need to give them more of a chance. One of the best prog metal bands out there!

^ agree, more time helps but I still liked them from the start. I spent quite a bit of time with the CD's after this topic was started and its great stuff. The similiarities are like a slap in the face on the first listens though so I agree there too.

CM is wonderfull!!
Its, for me, an original mix between DT and SX and probably improving them...
Its so melodic and progressive at the same time....I love them.
I cant wait to the new CD...is the one I am expecting more by now...

Glory of the Empire and that long song from the first album are great. The rest.. meh.. Not worse than listening to Symphony X fillers though