What do you think about Iconoclast?

I think this guy puts it closest to how I feel on Lulu: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7146312/lou-reed-metallica-album

:lol:

Found this review, as well: http://thequietus.com/articles/07219-lou-reed-metallica-lulu-review

"We have but a short period on this earth and Lulu, spread over 95 – yes, 95! – tedious and excruciating minutes simply eats into time that could be more constructively spent watching the grass grow or perhaps wanking into a sock."

Well what else is he gonna say?!? C'mon. He also said that it's an album that grows on you after multiple listens.

I'm still waiting.

And besides, I can only take so many doses. Only been able to listen to it 7 times so far.

I don't understand why Romeo would consider Iconoclast an album that would take a while to absorb. The album is not very deep, IMO. I would say this about V, but not IC or PL.
I don't know, guys. I'm liking this far, far more than I thought I ever possibly could. The album initially felt underwhelming (even a little tedious to listen to) due to the lack of variety and dynamics which caused a lot of the songs to seemingly blend together. Taken individually however, each one has plenty of depth and interesting moments. Try listening to just one or two tracks by themselves if you can't handle the entire onslaught.

It won't ever match the complexity and completeness of V, but there is great material here that shouldn't be overlooked and does reveal itself after multiple listens. I'm even enjoying Russell's vocals on the Prometheus verses now...

heavy taste? :err:

Each has a unique sabor that has no bearing on anyone elses, except in cases where people are influenced or receptive to the opinions of others over their own.

There is no doubt my mind all albums prior to PL/IC take much more time to absorb than the new stuff. For instance, the first time I listened to V I don't remember liking much about it except for Egypt and now it's my definitive Symphony X album. I do think that IC probably took a bit more absorbtion than PL (especially songs like Prometheus which is one of my favorites). I still continue to enjoy all facets of their discography regardless of the change in styles, and all of the albums enjoy pretty much equal play to me. I do have little desire to listen to PL much anymore though.

Taken individually however, each one has plenty of depth and interesting moments. Try listening to just one or two tracks by themselves if you can't handle the entire onslaught.

I've been listening to Iconoclast a lot lately, and I like it. As asotamaki wrote, taken individually a lot of its songs sound interesting. Its a typical case where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. However, I think the lyrics are the weakest they've ever written.

TIO > (PL + IC)

I have much dislike for TIO...most of the album is nothing special imo; I still like it better than PL + IC though I think. It has more diversity in its songs which is nice. I used to think I liked the more metal side of the band but now that IC has been out awhile I definitely love the older classical side to the band. So much more to that music than the new stuff. I like IC for the most part though - I listen to it everyday.

I've been listening to Iconoclast a lot lately, and I like it. As asotamaki wrote, taken individually a lot of its songs sound interesting. Its a typical case where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. However, I think the lyrics are the weakest they've ever written.

Hit the switch, you son of a bitch!

I can't help but laugh every time.

We rule, we fly
Above the lights of the neon sky
We fight, we cry
The lords of chaos will never die

It's like I'm in third grade again. Seriously, what would possess Russell to think that these are in any way good lyrics?! It's MJR's fault, too, for allowing this stuff (including the "sunnavabitch" line in Dehumanized) to actually be used on the album. Did it come down to crunch time and they just went "fuck it?"

Also, does anyone else think it's a coincidence that Russ ended up writing the lyrics to (in my opinion) the three weakest tracks on the album?

We rule, we fly
Above the lights of the neon sky
We fight, we cry
The lords of chaos will never die

It's like I'm in third grade again. Seriously, what would possess Russell to think that these are in any way good lyrics?! It's MJR's fault, too, for allowing this stuff (including the "sunnavabitch" line in Dehumanized) to actually be used on the album. Did it come down to crunch time and they just went "fuck it?"

...those lyrics are absolutely atrocious. Why, SX?

Why didn't SX try to write lyrics with some depth to help make the overall package even better? Even if you don't care about lyrics, you should at least try to make them interesting.
There isn't a single redeeming quality in those lyrics... but somebody considered them acceptable. I don't get it.

I wonder what Pinella thinks about the lyrics...he's always the quiet one. All the other members of the band seem to like the album a lot though. I think I saw two interviews where Lepond and Rullo said they were proud of Iconoclast.

I wonder what Pinella thinks about the lyrics...he's always the quiet one. All the other members of the band seem to like the album a lot though. I think I saw two interviews where Lepond and Rullo said they were proud of Iconoclast.

I bet they are just saying that in public but in real they think, damn we want another V and Odyssey! :D