What do you think about Iconoclast?

From creative point of view "Iconoclast" looks great ,but cd booklet is not so good ...so many blood ...wrong way for SX

As I can read from many posts,seems that iconoclast didn't like much to USA
fans,but it's been well reviewed and acclaimed on tour in Europe.As fan that
saw them live many times I didn't care much about setlist including new stuff,
and I'm very curious to know from you how it was reviewed by american metal magazines and how much crowd there will be at tour.Many witers in magazines and webzine put it among the top 5 in this year

Wow I just listen to the Odyssey for the first time i ages , this is so much better than the last 2 albums , I Do like the last two but there just kinda fun albums not much atmosphere and melody in them ..

So my answer to the question these days is It's good but im not crazy about it , my biggest problem with it is to much growl/harsh vocals I prefer his cleaner vocals.

As to the topic, I love the album, I think it's their best yet. I do miss some of the more symphonic, proggy elements, but the heavier direction works too, this is really a scorcher of an album, while still retaining the strong melodies and interesting arrangements. Cool to find a band around this long, yet are at their creative peak.

I think there's actually several moments that I'd call creative.

1. The part in "Iconoclast" at about 5:36, where the guitars/bass are playing in a polymeter of 17/8 while the drums are in straight 6/8. To top it off, they've got a bunch of symphonic stuff with the keys over it. The section should sound like a clusterfuck, but it manages to flow somehow.

2. The guitar solo in "Dehumanized." It's very different from anything the band has really done before.

3. "Prometheus (I Am Alive);" the entire song. It's different for them from a lyrical perspective, and the constantly shifting music fits the lyrical theme very well.

4. Several sections in "Reign in Madness," including the intro/choruses and the groovy Opeth riff.

Needless to say, most of the rest of the album is pretty standard Symphony X fare, just now with obnoxious synthesizers and less melody.

Initially I dismissed the album as not worthy of repeated listening, but after giving it a few months' rest I'm now starting to really like the second part of it - more specifically, the last four songs. From that point onward things get progressively (no pun intended :rolleyes:) better. Now I frequently just skip listening to the first five songs altogether and start playing it from 'Children Of A Faceless God' through to 'When All Is Lost'. It's nowhere near as cathartic and moving to listen to as DWoT, Odyssey or V, but I no longer consider it worse than Paradise Lost... maybe even better. :cool:

Apart from Walls of Babylon (still a damn awesome track to this day) I find PL to be too cheesy, especially these days. Oh and that guitar tone sucks. IC definitely wins but not against V or Odyssey as many of you seem to agree.