What do you think Katatonia will do with their next album?

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
With Night is the New Day Katatonia took their music to a whole new level... But its left me thinking, where can they go now?

Kick ass?

Okok, focus. I had not expected the tonal shift in NITND and it was not really the logical step from TGCD for me, so, really.. it may be anything. I suspect it will depend on who'll write the bulk of the music. Maybe by the time they'll have new permanent members and gain new input from them. Mabye Blakkie will write more this time and return us to something more guitar lead based, or maybe the electronics will finally dominate more.

Really, who knows. That's the good bit.

I would love it if the band created an album that incorporated the sound of all of their past albums, being that I am a fan of most everything they have done. At times I wish the old stuff had better choruses, and at times I wish the new stuff had more doom and more leads, so this would be perfect! A song that had elements from Dance Of December, Discouraged Ones, Last Fair Deal...,and Night Is The New Day would be amazing (Similar to what Amorphis has been doing recently)! Of course, the band will do what they want to do regardless of what the fans think. I do hope that Anders writes more of the music this time around.

i really don't mind who writes the music, jonas and anders are both awesome. i wonder if they will try and add some more classical instruments or folk instruments into the mix on the next album. listen to one year from now from the viva emptiness album to see where im coming from. i guess theres a few tracks in the newer stuff that have strings too, except you can only just hear them, in the white for example. oh and i love jonas' voice no matter how he sings :p

I would love it if the band created an album that incorporated the sound of all of their past albums, being that I am a fan of most everything they have done. At times I wish the old stuff had better choruses, and at times I wish the new stuff had more doom and more leads, so this would be perfect! A song that had elements from Dance Of December, Discouraged Ones, Last Fair Deal...,and Night Is The New Day would be amazing (Similar to what Amorphis has been doing recently)! Of course, the band will do what they want to do regardless of what the fans think. I do hope that Anders writes more of the music this time around.

I basically agree with everything said here. I have been telling friends ever since Night is the New Day that I hope Anders takes the writing reigns on the next album even though I love that album. Perhaps because I miss Anders' leads as well.

I would also concur that more acoustic guitar could be added. I have always enjoyed Katatonia's use of acoustic guitar and thought they should use this more often. Not too much, but just enough.

Finally, I thought Jonas' vocals could not get better than on The Great Cold Distance and then he surprised me on Night is the New Day. So, I imagine he will continue surpassing his latest performance.

I personally hope they continue down the path they're in. That's not to say write the same album again as they never do that, but evolve like they always have.

I thought The Great Cold Distance was about as perfect of an album as Katatonia could do...but Night is the New Day was stunning in how much better it was. Jonas has grown so much as a songwriter and a vocalist it's crazy. Plus the production was perfect, and amongst the best I've ever heard. I'm so eager to hear what he and the rest of the band will do next. I don't care if the band goes softer, heavier, more experimental, more straightforward...it just doesn't matter at this point. Whatever they do is going to be worth listening to.

If i remember correctly, the band doesn't even like Dance of december souls, so (thankfully) i guess they won't ever go back to anything like that.

I hope they continue to move foward, like they always have.

Katatonia have never been about standing in one place and certainly not about moving in reverse. Once you start doing that your career has pretty much run it's course. Besides, how can you expect them to get in the mindset they had as teenagers and furthermore revert back to the completely amateur songwriters who wrote DoDS? If you want to hear something that's been done before than simply throw on the old records.

I really loved the electronic/ambient influence on songs like the Longest Year. I know I may be isolated saying that on a metal forum, but I think Katatonia do atmosphere better than a lot of bands. If I want their death/doom stuff, it's always there. Their new stuff doesn't necessarily have to be 'alternative metal', just pursue that atmospheric post-rock area a bit more.

And yes to falsetto.

I really loved the very somber and dark direction that they moved in with NitND and I think that sound could probably be even more accentuated with folk instruments (piano, acoustic guitar, violin). Perhaps even adding a little post punk/metal vibe to the songs. I think there will also be more diversity within the album itself and less standard-structured songs, perhaps a concept album? Something very different

Katatonia is the one band who I might lose a bit of respect for if they would ever try to do Brave Murder Day part 2 and the fact is that they would never do this

Something very different would do just fine. But from the interviews I get the expression that they are really happy with their current formula, so probably it will be in the vein of NITND. I wish they put some different elements this time and keep experimenting, but I have to tell I miss the good old leads sometimes...

I always listen the Ashen and think how well it fits the album (even though its not official part of the album) feels like it has a breather at that point. I think thats what it needs.

I personally think that the last 3 albums have been more samey its just the arrangements that separate them. But they are all very chuggy chuggy.

I never had a problem with any of the work they did. But I always feel that the diversity through the songs would be better, as in dark and then something to break it up in the middle.

But ultimatly its the lead lines that are asked for again and again. Theres loads of chuggy chuggy stuff ever since Viva so I feel that too much more of that will start to feel the same.

I do think a focus on the song writing as in LFDGD but with the new sound would be better. I just feel that the production is amazing, but the songs... they need more SONG songs if you get me.

You know teargas, Cold ways, I am nothing, Evidence, My Twin..... but what from the new album (Longest year maybe - but its not in that sorta catagory)?? I love the concept but nothing stays with me like the other "Hits" if you get me.