What do you think of Alexi's guitar tone?

clamchowder01

Nov 28, 2005
California
Just wondering what people think about his guitar tone?

I think it sounds okay, but the thing i don't like is that it sounds kinda nasaly, thin? Is this kinda tone mostly from the guitar he plays ( The RR1, and the new esp?)

I love it. Well, maybe not the current one when he's chugging away in Drop C but it sounded amazing on Tokyo Warhearts, that's for sure.

I do like Sixpounder and You're Better Off Dead's tone etc but I think since maybe the release of AYDY, it's not been as good. But imo, it's still better than most players.

Something Wild was too thin, sloppy and watery sounding to me. On an actual album, I'd say HCDR because it's like FtR but heavier.

I liked the SW tone just fine. But don't forget that some parts of it were recorded with Ibanez with sucky pickups...one of this parts must be the melody in the In the shadows (sounds like a neck pickup to me) and it sounds muddy to me. On the other hand, the very last sweep in the In the nail sounds very good and clean to me. And that's the tone I think of when I think of the SW tone.

Don't get me wrong, TW and FTR and Hatebreeder tones are very good too!!

I liked the SW tone just fine. But don't forget that some parts of it were recorded with Ibanez with sucky pickups...one of this parts must be the melody in the In the shadows (sounds like a neck pickup to me) and it sounds muddy to me. On the other hand, the very last sweep in the In the nail sounds very good and clean to me. And that's the tone I think of when I think of the SW tone.

Don't get me wrong, TW and FTR and Hatebreeder tones are very good too!!

Although In the shadows melody at the end sounds "muddy", i like it , it fits perfectly in my opinion :)

Alexi used to play a custom shop RR1, just like Roope did. I think if Alexi went for an 81 in the bridge instead of an HZ-4 or whatever he plays he'd get a lot more low into his sound.

Meh, you know what I mean. The custom shop body was an RR1 exactly, beside the 24 frets/pickups.

Conti:

He kept the Floyd, Inlays, Ebony Fingerboard, Maple Neck-Thru, Alder Body, same electronics other than using a single humbucker at the bridge and only using a volume knob for it (getting rid of the tone knob).

Edit: He got rid of the pick guard as well.

So yes, it's basically a custom version of the RR1.