What do you think of Chris Barnes's current vocals and his early CC vocals?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
What do you think of Chris Barnes's current vocals and his early CC vocals? I think currently he has the best vocal style I've heard from him, one of the best growlers in death metal today with his low growls on The Bleeding and Six Feet Under albums, I'm not a big fan of his super low vocals on Tomb of The Mutilated and I'm glad he changed his vocal style, I haven't gotten into early CC because the vocals are just decent to me, or maybe I should get used to them over time, they're not in my favorite DM vocals, I prefer traditional lows. I recently bought The Bleeding by Cannibal Corpse and if Barnes had stayed with CC they'd be one of my favorite DM bands today. Why did he change his vocals from the super lows to the current traditional lows? Did he blow out his vocal cords or what? I noticed Frank Mullen doesn't use his vocal style from Effigy of The Forgotten anymore either so maybe super lows are only temporary, what do you think?

Barnes is decent if your just getting into Death Metal. I got into Death Metal throug him. But I quickly realized there are many better vocalists them him.

Personaly, I like the newest Torture Killer album. Was pretty mediocre in comparison to other death metal releases I've heard, but I liked his vox better then before.

Chris barnes vocals on the original cc albums like eaten back to life and butchered at birth were good but not fantastic, george fisher is fantastic and cc have improved since he joined,

some super low vocals can be really cool like on some suffocation but it gets really repedative, if its that all the time then the music just gets boring

but chris barnes was seriously fucked up with the lyrics he wrote and tomb of the mutilated wasn't a fantastic album because of this,

Mullen is just fucking brutal period.

Indeed. He was awesome live. HUGE deep growls. :kickass:

Chris Barnes voice combined with the lyrics and song titles is basically comedy gold on the early CC albums. So ridiculously over the top. I'm not familiar with Six Feet Under.

Indeed. He was awesome live. HUGE deep growls. :kickass:

Chris Barnes voice combined with the lyrics and song titles is basically comedy gold on the early CC albums. So ridiculously over the top. I'm not familiar with Six Feet Under.

the original albums i didn't really think were that over the top but tomb of the mutilated are just too far and hilarious to think about

a band called gorerotted are one of those bands who think that they are really cool because of their lyrics, they have songs like "Her Gash i Did Slash" "Fucked in the ass with broken glass" and "Can't fit her limbs in the fridge"

and its just hilarious to think about, so there is a line that death metal people need to think about before they become a comedy death metal band

[Nightmare];5985780 said:
Chris barnes vocals on the original cc albums like eaten back to life and butchered at birth were good but not fantastic, george fisher is fantastic and cc have improved since he joined,

Fisher has always been head and shoulders above Barnes in ability since his Monstrosity days, IMO. Dunno if I think he made CC better though. They certainly wrote some great material with him, but many of those old albums are still all-around great DM records.

Barnes's shrieks are decent, they're ok, nothing good though. Though I can see the humor in hearing them. :lol: I'm not a big fan of Fisher or Mullen's vox, good, yes, but not my in my favorites.

^Me too, and upon listening to The Exorcist as a bonus track on my The Bleeding CD I've gotten used to the super low growl and it's actually sounding better each time, so I may end up buying Tomb of The Mutilated and/or Butchered At Birth eventually, but I still love his current style better.