What do you think you'll be listening to at age 40?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
When I was growing up, I was lucky in that my dad would bring home promo vinyls from work (he worked at the BBC) and so I had early exposure to stuff like Pink Floyd and David Bowie. Even today, that stuff is timeless (except for the songs that are on the radio every two minutes).

Anyway, out of your collection, what do you think you'll still be listening to at your 40 year mid-life crisis?

And what stuff would you want to pass down to your (future) kids?

On the flipside, what stuff from your collection do you think you'll NOT be listening to when you're older?

I'll probably still be listening to the more proggy side of my collection, as for the heavier stuff, that remains to stand the test of time, and the extent that continued near-constant listening to metal damages my hearing. :) I hope that I still have a place in my collection for bands like Agalloch and Nevermore fifteen years from now, and I will still be seeking out new music well into the future...

Probably end up like my dad and listening to nothing but Bob Dylan.

The extreme stuff I imagine will be toned down, but the classics will probably get spun every now and then (Morbid Angel, Carcass, and Slayer). Although I have imagined sitting at home blasting Reign and Blood and having my kids laugh at me calling it old fogey music. :)

I'd like to think I'd still be discovering new music, wheither it's all new music of that time or discovering music I missed from previous years.

I think I'd still listen to bands like Megadeth, Annihilator etc. I think bands like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Slayer, I can see me not playing them. Every once in a while I'd might throw one in for fun. But then again, 6 years ago I couldn't see myself listening to those bands, in which I do now. So you never know.

I'd like to pass on albums that I still like at that time down to my kids.

40 is about 10 years away from me. I've been listening to death and thrash metal for 15 years, I see no reason why that won't continue for at least another 10. Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I don't see much change.

I think I´ll still listen to everything in my collection since 40 is only 10 years away... hehehe. I enjoy variety quite a bit and judging from how my father is I think I will continue to enjoy the diversity of music even when I´m in my 60s.