How much do you REALLY pay attention to what you're listening to?

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
Me, I usually listen at home while I'm dicking around on the internet or reading. The other times it's when I'm driving or walking around campus with my iPod.

Do any of you just sit and listen to music? Like... not being diverted in any other way (video games, the net, etc.), just allowing yourself to be engrossed in the music? I need to start doing that more often; I've been trying it lately and have gotten much more satisfaction from what I'm listening to. That said, the most enriching musical experiences I've had were while driving alone.

I think I should start meditating to music. :loco:

Dick Sirloin said:
Do any of you just sit and listen to music? Like... not being diverted in any other way (video games, the net, etc.), just allowing yourself to be engrossed in the music?
yes. not as often as i should, or as often as i used to, but it's the only real way to listen to music. most nights i pass out with the headphones on, and oftentimes i force myself to stay away and pay attention for a bit (i generally fall asleep very quickly).

it depends though. i can listen to Clutch and Unida whenever i'm driving and enjoy it just as much as when i'm sitting there fully focused, but say something like Neurosis or Kayo Dot only works as background music when you are already really familiar with the work. otherwise it just gets lost in whatever else is happening around you.

Usually, like I said, I'm doing something else (usually reading); this forces music to have to JUMP OUT and GRAB me so that I stop whatever I'm doing and start paying attention. A lot of albums aren't this immediate and/or catchy and sometimes are relegated to background music. Kayo Dot, for instance, is a band one has to be immersed in; otherwise it goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm never deep in though, therefore that possiblity is ruled out... :loco:

once I was NAD said:
something like Neurosis or Kayo Dot only works as background music when you are already really familiar with the work. otherwise it just gets lost in whatever else is happening around you.

Boom. And I totally was writing my response when you said that. :cool:

ugh, i simply CANNOT read while listening to music, unless the music can fall under the whole white noise category.

Dick Sirloin said:
Boom. And I totally was writing my response when you said that. :cool:
yes, this is us:

homeimage2.jpg

I try to rid myself of all distractions when listening to albums for the first time, and I've been lying down and focusing on music a lot lately, it's the ideal setting for immersion in music for me...I can listen to just about anything as background music for reading, I've trained myself to divide my concentration as equally as possible.

It's definitely an acquired thing (reading while listening)... Reading requires more involvement, though, and the music is usually swept under.

That said, my reading is generally "lighter" when I'm listening to music. Like... Spinoza or something. :p

When i listen to music, i (usually) just listen to music and dont do anything else at the same time. This is the ONLY way you can appreciate music. But of course most of you didnt really listen to music before the InTeRnEt soo...

IOfTheStorm said:
When i listen to music, i (usually) just listen to music and dont do anything else at the same time. This is the ONLY way you can appreciate music. But of course most of you didnt really listen to music before the InTeRnEt soo...

How can you say "most of us didn't really listen to music before the internet?" Maybe on other forums, but that bullshit doesn't apply to most of RC.

My greatest musical enjoyment was probably as a kid when I had a crappy walkman tape player and about 20 cassettes I borrowed from my uncle. I remember just laying around my grandmother's house, about 9 years old, and listening to "Selling England By the Pound." I now have hundreds of CDs, a huge stereo system, an ipod, an inexhaustible gateway to new music (the net) and look at me: wondering how I can start paying attention to what I'm listening to!