What happened to Farfalla and Nordin? Opeth's original rhythm section!

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I've done a lot of searching on the net about these guys to no avail. Recently I posted a thread about them here but I didn't get much of a reply, except a bunch of people commenting I should ask you guys. So, can anyone fill me in on their post-Opeth career or what they're up to?

Anders is a cyclist now, living in Brazil. A bit of a change from being a drummer in a metal band. As to DeFarfalla, who knows? His heart was probably not in this kind of music... went back to what he was doing before, maybe?

From what I've heard, Nordin left (still as a friend) to live in Brazil. He met the other guys in Opeth for the first time since then (I think) in Bengtsfors two years ago (if my mind isn't failing me... anyway, I was there).

DeFarfalla left after a clash with Mikael, I think.. I've heard that he wanted credit as co-writer or something.. not sure though.

Funny - not even the posters on the official forum know much. It's sort of strange how no one has seriously bothered to find out any details about these guys, or asked Mikael about them in an interview or something.

Well, since it hasn't been officially talked about by the members, Im guessing it wasn't pretty, and we may never find out, which is fine with me, because this line up owns anything the older one could do. (Orchid and Morningrise would still have been the same, if not better, since Mike wrote most of Farfalla's bass lines anyway).

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, since it hasn't been officially talked about by the members, Im guessing it wasn't pretty, and we may never find out, which is fine with me, because this line up owns anything the older one could do. (Orchid and Morningrise would still have been the same, if not better, since Mike wrote most of Farfalla's bass lines anyway).[/QUOTE]

damn straight :headbang:

Did he really? I thought one of the initial problems was that DeFarlla wrote basslines that Mikael wasn't happy with. On top of that of course also wanting credit and royalties from album sales (not as if he would've made much, as Orchid coined each member about $300).

I remember reading years ago that Mikael kicked DeFarlla out because Opeth is about the guitar work and he was trying to stick out in the music from everyone else. You can tell on Morning rise that he is showing off, although I actually enjoyed his bass playing. As to Nordin, I think he went to Brazil on vacation met a girl there, and gave Mike a call to tell him he isn't coming back. Mike was so devestated at first that he wasn't sure Opeth could continue. Thank god that wasn't so!

I also enjoyed his bass "showoffs". I miss them in the new albums. Martin Mendez, talk to Mike, tell him that you want to have parts where the bass stands out. The only place I can remember really cleary, is in the drapery falls.

yo estimate, thats a good idea. the end of nectar is ridiculously badass and bass should be more important in some songs. there are kinda some slaps and pops at the end of blackwater park, which is cool, but he should definitely do more. by the way, lopez is 9289 times the drummer nordin could ever be, but they should bring him back for keyboard, silhouette is sweet.