What happened to Johan and David?

ethereallights said:
Lopez is in fact a better drummer/percussionist then Nordin

Not a fact, thats called your opinion... even if i share the same opinion anyway. Oh and why don't you just google Isberg and DeFarfalla and report back to us if you are getting so anxious?

Hmmm, whether or not one's better than the other, I would like to know where DeFarfalla is.

Anyway, whether one's better than the other or not, I liked the lines DeFarfalla was playing. Forgetting about Damnation for a sec, I always feel like Mendez isn't doing anything. At all. All his stuff seems like he could be replaced with the bassist from Slipknot. He rarely deviates from the main riff. DeFarfalla never did that. Of course, being as Mikael writes the music, it's not a relfection of either. Mendez's technique is definetly better, whether or not DeFarfalla was running all over the fretboard or not his rhythm wasn't perfect. I like Martin's tone more too.

Oh yeah, the person who originally mentioned Reinert and Hoglan, I hope you merely forgot Richard Christy. :err:

coolsnow7 said:
Hmmm, whether or not one's better than the other, I would like to know where DeFarfalla is.

Anyway, whether one's better than the other or not, I liked the lines DeFarfalla was playing. Forgetting about Damnation for a sec, I always feel like Mendez isn't doing anything. At all. All his stuff seems like he could be replaced with the bassist from Slipknot. He rarely deviates from the main riff. DeFarfalla never did that. Of course, being as Mikael writes the music, it's not a relfection of either. Mendez's technique is definetly better, whether or not DeFarfalla was running all over the fretboard or not his rhythm wasn't perfect. I like Martin's tone more too.

I hated Defarfalla's tone. It was ALL mids...which made him cut through, sure, but his tone was ass.

Actually, I'd disagree with you about Martin's lines. He definitely doesn't step out as much as Defarfalla did, but if you listen, the Martins' pocket is insanely tight. Probably because they've been playing together for 20 years or whatever.

But I think even though Martin doesn't play as much, he's just a better fit. Sometimes Johan's lines were incredibly distracting...that arpegiated run in "Advent" comes to mind.

all IMHO, of course...besides, I don't really listen to Opeth for the bass playing...I'll put on some jaco for that. :headbang:

coolsnow7 said:
Oh yeah, the person who originally mentioned Reinert and Hoglan, I hope you merely forgot Richard Christy. :err:

Haha, how could I forget Christy? Actually he was on my mind as I was listing a few of those superior drummers, though I felt I had mentioned enough to get my point across.

Also I agree with most of what you had to say, Coolsnow. I believe Farfalla was a perfect fit for Opeth's earlier work and Mendez does a good job for them now. Regardless, I'll take Johan anyday. :D

That arpegiated run in advent is one of the things that makes mendez the inferior bassist.
Speaking as a musician i will say this, i could play any of mendez's parts, but there are more than a few of the bass parts on Morningrise i couldn't.

Thing about it is, people speak about the members of opeth as if they are these devine infallible beings which without the world would be nothing.

The fact of the matter is, there is only one person in opeth who could not be replaced and we all knwo who that is.

Peter is a highly overrated player, not in a technical sense (i'm not really into this high flying dream theatre stuff) but when you compare his playing to mikes there is a wrold of difference in everything from style to sheer tastefulness.

Lopez is only a good drummer in album situations, when he has days to play beats over and over again to a click track to get them sounding perfect, and with todays pro-tools software that isn't hard to do. In a live environment he is isn't great, if you can't recognise this from whatever shows you have been to and the dvd then you either don't have a clue or you are fooling yourself. and finally if a member of my band cancelled shows becuase of emotional problems, i would tell him to dry his fucking eyes or get out of the band.

KevyCanavan said:
That arpegiated run in advent is one of the things that makes mendez the inferior bassist.
Speaking as a musician i will say this, i could play any of mendez's parts, but there are more than a few of the bass parts on Morningrise i couldn't.
Pat yourself on the back, because you have made the dumbest post in the whole thread (at this point).

LIVE, MENDEZ PLAYS ALL BASSLINES FROM THE FIRST ALBUMS EXACTLY LIKE HOW THEY ARE RECORDED. THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM AND FELT THE NEED TO MENTION IT IS NOT ONLY ENTIRELY IRRELEVENT BUT ONLY POINTS OUT THAT OF THE THREE BASSISTS MENTIONED IN THIS EQUATION (DeFarfall, Mendez, You), YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS INFERIOR.

Talking to people about Opeth around here is like pulling teeth. I'll be hiding from yer shit under my bed...

Mr. Niel said:
Pat yourself on the back, because you have made the dumbest post in the whole thread (at this point).

LIVE, MENDEZ PLAYS ALL BASSLINES FROM THE FIRST ALBUMS EXACTLY LIKE HOW THEY ARE RECORDED. THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM AND FELT THE NEED TO MENTION IT IS NOT ONLY ENTIRELY IRRELEVENT BUT ONLY POINTS OUT THAT OF THE THREE BASSISTS MENTIONED IN THIS EQUATION (DeFarfall, Mendez, You), YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS INFERIOR.

Talking to people about Opeth around here is like pulling teeth. I'll be hiding from yer shit under my bed...

Heh, agreed.

My vote is for the Martins.

*sigh*

I wish Black_paragon was still posting on these boards. He made two threads and stated several times why Lopez (and Nordin) are not only more passionate players than Portnoy but also technically. He really knew his stuff and was much, much more an expert on drumming than any of you. Just look for his posts.