What happened to Johan and David?

I didn't like Anders as much either. He was a competent drummer... just nothing unique. He was probably more of a keyboardist anyway, I think he even admitted that.

My feelings are pretty much the same as Rose Immortal's, as she put it... there's something Nordin does with the cymbals that sounds a bit too much like a train running than actual work, perhaps a bit too drum-machine like.

mr niel, i love your attitued

calling drummers crappy, sitting behind your pc and stroking off
I love it when people who really have no skill nor patience nor discipline nor talent talk shit about "crappy drummers" among others.

Longinus said:
Lopez is one of the best drummers ever. Nordin is a bit behind but still awesome.

It seems that people judge one's drumming skills by showing off, that would explain the love for Portnoy, who IS worse than either.

Opeth fans' tastes in musicians are worse than an angsty teen's in music.

Actually, as far as the better technical drummer goes ... it is Portnoy. And I can't stand the guy myself. Lopez is highly overrated by Opeth fanatics. I do enjoy his work on both Deliverance and Damnation, particularly the latter, though at best he is an average drummer.
One of the "best ever? Hardly. "Master's Apprentice" is nothing more than a homage to their idols, Morbid Angel, with the constant double bass and assault on the kit, even then Martin comes no where near touching Sandoval's abilities. Listen to "Drum Check" on Heretic.
Terry Bozzio is far better ... oh so is Gene Hoglan ... oh and what was that other guy that played with Chuck Schuldiner on "Human"? Sean Reinert? That's right.

Get your head out of Martin's ass and realize that there are better drummers than him.

Sfarog said:
mr niel, i love your attitued

calling drummers crappy, sitting behind your pc and stroking off
I love it when people who really have no skill nor patience nor discipline nor talent talk shit about "crappy drummers" among others.
No talent? What about stroking off? That's a talent.

Spelling. That's also a talent. Making competent insults is one as well. Try again.

Look, old school Opeth fans... The guy wasn't that great of a drummer. Not just compared to Lopez, but compared to anybody. He played entirely straightforward...way too much 1, 2, 3, 4 with the right hand. It was either that or straight 6/8 or 6/8 over 4/4 (he liked that alot). It gets pretty old.

The album is still pretty cool, even with that big glaring flaw.

So, in summary:

Believe it or not, I don't like some things about Orchid or Morningrise. This is irrelevant in the big picture, but expressing a different opinion around here apparently carries this huge stigma involving masturbation and bad spelling.

In conclusion:

WHATEVER.

Lopez is in fact a better drummer/percussionist then Nordin but I wouldn't call Nordin shitty. He's an ok drummer. He has moments that are like thats cool, but I bet he was a better pianist then he was a drummer, and he wrote "Sillhouette" which was a really cool piece and I think maybe he should of sat in sessions with Opeth and helped write music, and left the drumming to Lopez.

Guitarmaster said:
Actually, as far as the better technical drummer goes ... it is Portnoy. And I can't stand the guy myself. Lopez is highly overrated by Opeth fanatics. I do enjoy his work on both Deliverance and Damnation, particularly the latter, though at best he is an average drummer.

Honestly, it does not matter if López is the "best" or not. The most important question is, does his style fit Opeth, and does he do that well (I think he does)? I definitely value that over technical talent--you can have a lot of that and still manage to sound completely out of step with the band you're in.

Huh... Mike(the drummer of my band) and I were listening to orchid a long while ago and he seemed rather impressed by Nordin opposed to Lopez. I'm not really a drum fanatic so I don't have much to say on the matter, just an observation. Oh, and so you know- Mike is a quite capable drummer so I pretty much trusted his opinion up until this thread.

Mr. Niel said:
No talent? What about stroking off? That's a talent.

Spelling. That's also a talent. Making competent insults is one as well. Try again.

Look, old school Opeth fans... The guy wasn't that great of a drummer. Not just compared to Lopez, but compared to anybody. He played entirely straightforward...way too much 1, 2, 3, 4 with the right hand. It was either that or straight 6/8 or 6/8 over 4/4 (he liked that alot). It gets pretty old.

Mr Niel has a lot of talent, so that insult is a complete waste of typing.

I like Anders cos his playing feels very organic and natural, and he has a lot of interesting fills. Like I said before he wasn't technically amazing, and was pretty straightforward, but I feel he had a lot of style and panache. That's why I like him, also he has some great moments. He's the kind of drummer that isn't afraid to just be himself, doesn't feel the need to try and be a technical god and yet isn't too simple. I don't find his style to get old at all...I don't care about the 'stats' you've brought up, I care about how it sounds. To me, it sounds good. Maybe he isn't great on a technical level, but he's great on others.

Believe it or not, I don't like some things about Orchid or Morningrise. This is irrelevant in the big picture, but expressing a different opinion around here apparently carries this huge stigma involving masturbation and bad spelling.

In conclusion:

WHATEVER.

I don't like stuff about them either...but I do like the drumming and bass playing.

Rose Immortal said:
Honestly, it does not matter if López is the "best" or not. The most important question is, does his style fit Opeth, and does he do that well (I think he does)? I definitely value that over technical talent--you can have a lot of that and still manage to sound completely out of step with the band you're in.

Oh I do agree that Martin Lopez fits perfectly with Opeth's music. In fact, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the job. I don't usually care just how technically outstanding one is on their instrument as long as they have "feel". Though I'll admit this ... a drum wizard will catch my attention before anything else will, and I'm not a drummer.
What provoked my response was the fellow claiming Lopez was one of the "best" drummers ever. First of all there is no such thing though we all have our own opinions on this matter. Yet when one is obviously the better drummer technically there is no disputing that, I could give a fuck if it's your opinion that it's bullshit. I like Lopez more than I do Portnoy ... fact is, Portnoy is better on a technical level. As are all the others I listed.

I'll go on and say this ... Sean Reinert owns the arrogant bitchass we all know as Mike Portnoy.

But Lopez does indeed fit Opeth like a glove.

Guitarmaster said:
What provoked my response was the fellow claiming Lopez was one of the "best" drummers ever. First of all there is no such thing though we all have our own opinions on this matter. Yet when one is obviously the better drummer technically there is no disputing that, I could give a fuck if it's your opinion that it's bullshit. I like Lopez more than I do Portnoy ... fact is, Portnoy is better on a technical level. As are all the others I listed.

I'll go on and say this ... Sean Reinert owns the arrogant bitchass we all know as Mike Portnoy.

I agree 100 percent. One thing i've never understood is how people will steadfastly refuse to admit that another musician is TECHNICALLY better than the one they're supporting. If you say that you like Kurt Cobain's guitar playing more than Kirk Hammet's guitar playing, that's cool. But if you say that Kurt Cobain is technically better than Kirk Hammet, you're a stupid cunt.

On another note, if you say that Kirk Hammet looks really gay, I'd agree with you.
kirk.gif

Come on dude. eyeliner?

I didn't really ask anything about Martin Lopez or Anders Nordin, and we've all found that Lopez is a better percussionist then Nordin, but some people favor Anders style, so why not help me with the original question. Does anyone know where Isberg and DeFarfalla went?