What happened to Johan and David?

Mr. Niel said:
Pat yourself on the back, because you have made the dumbest post in the whole thread (at this point).

LIVE, MENDEZ PLAYS ALL BASSLINES FROM THE FIRST ALBUMS EXACTLY LIKE HOW THEY ARE RECORDED. THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY THEM AND FELT THE NEED TO MENTION IT IS NOT ONLY ENTIRELY IRRELEVENT BUT ONLY POINTS OUT THAT OF THE THREE BASSISTS MENTIONED IN THIS EQUATION (DeFarfall, Mendez, You), YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS INFERIOR.

Talking to people about Opeth around here is like pulling teeth. I'll be hiding from yer shit under my bed...

Mendez and Lopez can play all the stuff yes I agree.

But I still like Anders and Defarfella, NO MATTER whether they are inferior musicians or not. To me, not liking them because they aren't as technically proficient is irrelevant, as they have s.t.y.l.e!

Werd! Irregardless of how they compare to the current rhythm section there is plenty about those two to appreciate.

how can u call anders shitty u rnt as gud as he iz hpow can u comment on sum1 elses talent when you have non urself sittin at home strokin urself off LOL

Oooh, didn't realize this had turned into an ownage thread. GG Niel, you win. Don't use the AWP next time you aimbotting fucker.

In a nutshell, I don't really know how we can compare abilities at all when its Mike that writes most of the stuff. He has pretty much written the bass for every album, and even played some of it at times. I doubt we've ever seen the limits of Johan or Mendez' abilities hit, and same deal with Nordin and Lopez. Although one given here is that Nordin's fills are extremely generic and that somewhat reflects on his credibility. On the other hand, Lopez is the rhythm-master. His drumming keeps even the simplest of riffs interesting. He's a cool dude and does what he does well.

haggard said:
I hated Defarfalla's tone. It was ALL mids...which made him cut through, sure, but his tone was ass.
I really like his metallic sound! i am not so much into soft bass-sound...

haggard said:
I don't really listen to Opeth for the bass playing...I'll put on some jaco for that. :headbang:
Yay! Jaco kills but i never liked weather report because of the rest of that band!

Compared to Mendez,Johan is definitely better.What I hear from Mendez is him just following the guitar riffs.Johan,on the other hand, was brilliant on Orchid and Morningrise and produced very catchy and out of the box riffs.

Hi to everyone!

Personally I enjoy the bass on "Orchid" and "Morningrise" more then I would on "Deliverence" but Mendez and DeFarfalla are two totally different players and I think the only way to judge who's better then who is to hear them play in bands outside of Opeth.
So back to my original question.... What happened to DeFarfalla and Isberg? (By that I mean where are they now?)

i bet seeing somebody actually listen to someone else's opinion and then perhaps change their opinion is about as rare as a unicorn shitting liquid hot magma.

i bet seeing somebody actually listen to someone else's opinion and then perhaps change their opinion is about as rare as a unicorn shitting liquid hot magma.

I do occassionally. However, that won't happen on this board sicne it's filled with stupidity :)

mot: Yes, Pain of Salvation rule. BE > Orchid, Morningrise, Deliverance, Damnation and a lot of other Opeth tracks

Moonlapse said:
Oooh, didn't realize this had turned into an ownage thread. GG Niel, you win. Don't use the AWP next time you aimbotting fucker.

In a nutshell, I don't really know how we can compare abilities at all when its Mike that writes most of the stuff. He has pretty much written the bass for every album, and even played some of it at times. I doubt we've ever seen the limits of Johan or Mendez' abilities hit, and same deal with Nordin and Lopez. Although one given here is that Nordin's fills are extremely generic and that somewhat reflects on his credibility. On the other hand, Lopez is the rhythm-master. His drumming keeps even the simplest of riffs interesting. He's a cool dude and does what he does well.

Speedhax :confused:

dereliction said:
Compared to Mendez,Johan is definitely better.What I hear from Mendez is him just following the guitar riffs.Johan,on the other hand, was brilliant on Orchid and Morningrise and produced very catchy and out of the box riffs.

Hi to everyone!

Oh boy.

dereliction said:

Hi to everyone!
I don't think you understand. Mikael wrote all of that material - it has no bearing whatsoever on the bass players.

Look guys, Anders was a very basic drummer and had a basic feel. I think his drumwork could have been replaced to liven things up, and well, it was. Johan's bass skills were no less than excellent, but Mendez is just that much better. If you go to an Opeth concert and see Mendez play live, you'll see why.

Ummm, yeah, how would I see why exactly? Does he solo when plays live? Does he improvise or something? Cuz it's not like his lines are impossible, as has been said before he mostly follows the guitars. And if you honestly think that Johan was "no less than excellent" I beg you at least to listen to Steve DiGiorgio, who is a metal bassist. Forget about the jazz bassists like Wooten and Miller and Jaco and such who make Johan's technique look like a 2 year old banging his head on a piano, because if you think Johan was excellent I doubt you've listen to much other than metal. And not too much of that either.