What has happened to Bodom?

MasqueReaper

Paradise Lost...OH SHIT!!
Apr 25, 2004
Roslyn, NY
Bodom was my favorite band for a very long time, although HCDR and AYDY are not as technically and melodically astounding as FTR, I cannot fault Alexi for choosing to write his own brand of music. I do, however, feel that Alexi is purposely dumbing down his new material because he no longer wishes to perform songs such as Kissing the Shadow or Mask of Sanity, songs that are more difficult to pull off live (even though they are arguably better songs than the new stuff). I am upset with the obvious deterioration of Alexi's live performance (ONLY Alexi...Jaska and co. are the shit). As many people have already pointed out, Alexi no longer tries to prove himself every night the way he used to, he wammies through awesome riffs he used to shred, and he doesnt really seem to care about the musicallity the way he used to. Alexi still rights awesome songs, such as "If you want Peace..." but then he doesnt even bother attempting them live either for fear of messing up, or because he gotten too lazy to replace the HCDR songs he can probably play in his sleep at this point. A good example is the fact that Bodom has played TL&S and Bastards of Bodom live before, but then Alexi decided to "never" play the songs again for various reasons. Wtf? I have seen Alexi rip Warrior Princess and Beware the Heavens live online...I wonder if he is even capable of writing or playing Sinergy anymore...Does anyone else feel this way? What has happened?

This thread is meant for true (and concerned) Bodom fans

it's the success. he's already pretty damn successful, or i should say Bodom is already pretty damn successful and now Alexi just doesn't care anymore to show off. it's like he's proved himself and why bother anymore? as long as he has the fans to buy the albums and go to shows right? but we'll see what happens with their upcoming albums. we'll see if bodom can keep their fanbase, well....actually we can't even count on that anymore cuz there are more and more posers everyday who seem to like them. but yeah, i also think his drinking gets in the way of his ability. after all, alcoholism does effect you in the long term.

Ummmm Are You Dead Yet wasn't my least favorite album from them. It's actually my 3rd favorite. My favorite CoB song is off that album called Trashed, Lost, And Strungout. Now that song is amazing. Alexi posted on his site that his band is going to keep on releasing heavier albums after every release now. We'll see if he keeps his end of the bargain though.

COBHC Webmaster said:
I don't have high hopes that there will be many reasonable comments from the users here. Well, let's see.
why? he is perfectly right..

and hell yeah, ALCOHOL

MasqueReaper said:
Bodom was my favorite band for a very long time, although HCDR and AYDY are not as technically and melodically astounding as FTR, I cannot fault Alexi for choosing to write his own brand of music. I do, however, feel that Alexi is purposely dumbing down his new material because he no longer wishes to perform songs such as Kissing the Shadow or Mask of Sanity, songs that are more difficult to pull off live (even though they are arguably better songs than the new stuff). I am upset with the obvious deterioration of Alexi's live performance (ONLY Alexi...Jaska and co. are the shit). As many people have already pointed out, Alexi no longer tries to prove himself every night the way he used to, he wammies through awesome riffs he used to shred, and he doesnt really seem to care about the musicallity the way he used to. Alexi still rights awesome songs, such as "If you want Peace..." but then he doesnt even bother attempting them live either for fear of messing up, or because he gotten too lazy to replace the HCDR songs he can probably play in his sleep at this point. A good example is the fact that Bodom has played TL&S and Bastards of Bodom live before, but then Alexi decided to "never" play the songs again for various reasons. Wtf? I have seen Alexi rip Warrior Princess and Beware the Heavens live online...I wonder if he is even capable of writing or playing Sinergy anymore...Does anyone else feel this way? What has happened?

Thank you so much for giving me that idea to search youtube for Sinergy...hearing them live made my day and it's not even 10 AM. Do you know if they're going to make a new Sinergy album? Sinergy = t3h shit

I'm really happy that people seem to be taking this thread seriously (for once). Those old live Sinergy videos definitely showcase how amazing Alexi can be. I have always felt that Sinergy is\was one of the best bands out there. I truly wonder whether or not Alexi is capable of writing such amazing, driving metal anymore. Suicide By My Side is one of the most amazing guitar albums I've ever heard, with licks and solos that are all mind blowing. I guess that most of my dissapointment with AYDY is that I really thought Alexi would utilize Roope, who kicks total ass on the latter Sinergy albums. He plays a few leads and like 3 seconds of solo (in "If you want peace..."), but nothing compared to Sinergy, not even close. AYDY had the potential to blow every Bodom and Sinergy album away.

MasqueReaper said:

I'm actually concerned. You took the words right out of my mouth. I was watching that same Beware the Heavens live video and I posted a comment that "Will Alexi ever play this well again?" and someone responded "fuck you Alexi is god even the new stuff is good"......I used to think Bodom was about virtuosity and professional showmanship in music, but you're right, when I saw Bodom on the Unholy Alliance tour in Long Beach, they sucked hard. It seemed like they didn't want to be there and the solos were sloppy and replaced by some weak wammy bar noises. I don't even get why they would half-ass the songs that they've played a billion times within the last 5 times they've been here...They play the same songs every time with maybe the exception of one song like Towards Dead End. I've pretty much given up on COB. I think that Alexi is too complacent of where he is right now and doesn't care about what he does anymore.

Noble Viking said:
I'm actually concerned. You took the words right out of my mouth. I was watching that same Beware the Heavens live video and I posted a comment that "Will Alexi ever play this well again?" and someone responded "fuck you Alexi is god even the new stuff is good"......I used to think Bodom was about virtuosity and professional showmanship in music, but you're right, when I saw Bodom on the Unholy Alliance tour in Long Beach, they sucked hard. It seemed like they didn't want to be there and the solos were sloppy and replaced by some weak wammy bar noises. I don't even get why they would half-ass the songs that they've played a billion times within the last 5 times they've been here...They play the same songs every time with maybe the exception of one song like Towards Dead End. I've pretty much given up on COB. I think that Alexi is too complacent of where he is right now and doesn't care about what he does anymore.

I agree! "I used to think Bodom was about virtuosity and professional showmanship in music"
My words exactly, more like.. like wintersun! Jari is doing what i want COB to do, unfortunatly today i don't believe Alexi is able to pull of even one song by wintersun.. Maybe sleeping stars or Sadness and hate. But i won't believe it untill i see it. Atleast not Winter madness, the solo would be replaced by alexi sqealing 1 time for every bar.. I mean, do he think that it works like Dimebag? He could do squels from fucking hell, but alexi's squels are flat and dead imo.. So generic..

First time i saw a live vid of Bodom i was very disappointed about how he didnt play the solo like on the record, and that was the Hate me live in korea i think. And he played it closer then opposed to nowadays. and everytime i die.. well just look three years ago, on the tuska live, almost can't recognise it anymore.. Sad development..

COB was my favorite band.. Was.

hurray...this thing starting once again.... and once again I say that when I saw them live in january here in italy alexi was nearly perfect... mayube it was just a case, but anyway.... I don't think there is much to be concerned, as someone already said let his mum be...

let's wait for the new stuff and where it leads, not everyone thinks that aydy is crap, it's just a matter of taste... and I repeat about live I talk about what I saw from the first row at the concert!

§killer_angel§ said:
hurray...this thing starting once again.... and once again I say that when I saw them live in january here in italy alexi was nearly perfect... mayube it was just a case, but anyway.... I don't think there is much to be concerned, as someone already said let his mum be...

let's wait for the new stuff and where it leads, not everyone thinks that aydy is crap, it's just a matter of taste... and I repeat about live I talk about what I saw from the first row at the concert!

Vai Martaaaa!!
E così, quando li hai visti dal vivo, i Children of Bodom e Alexi hanno rasentato la perfezione... dicevi sul serio? Che bello, avrei voluto essere con te in prima fila.... :)

when i saw 'em in London earlier this year they were pretty much perfect (and so they should have been, i had to head out on my own being the only defender of true metal where i live) but i've seen less than satisfying live videos, so im guessing its give or take. i just wish alexi would practice his solos a little more, its fucking annoying when he starts a great solo like angels don't kill then just throws in a load of whammy