What has happened to Bodom?

Nikotiini said:
^ Norther sounds like COB... Alexi and Roope are awesome guitarists...but they aren't the only ones in this world...

Ensiferum and Wintersun are pretty DaMN good!

ensiferum is fucking gay, wintersun is awesome but not the same type of music as bodom, no one has really written anything like hatebreeder, i would say imperanon's stained is the closest

Nikotiini said:
Yeah I agree that he's a great composer as well. I just get sick of thread after thread "amg bodom is changing, bodom sux now"
No one can do anything about it, and I've heard Alexi say before "We do what comes naturally, we play different now because thats just how we play, we don't purposely sit around and think - ok i'm going to play this style for this album - it wouldn't be real if we did it that way"

Again, if you were to actually read what this thread is really about, you would realize that nobody is bitching about AYDY. Of course most Bodom fans want another FTR or Hatebreeder, but as I have already said, Alexi has the right to write anything he wants. The point that I did make was that Alexi still writes awesome songs, such as "If you want Peace..." but then he doesnt even bother attempting them live either for fear of messing up, or because he gotten too lazy to replace the HCDR songs he can probably play in his sleep at this point. A good example is the fact that Bodom has played TL&S and Bastards of Bodom live before, but then Alexi decided to "never" play the songs again for various reasons.

i can understand that people are concerned with COB but at the same time if you dont feel that the music is not up to your expectations then perhaps they hsould just stop listening to them. Afterall we dont have any say oncesoever with what Alexi or anyone else in the band chooses to carry on and preform onstage. I do believe that they do their best but sometimes i think it can get tiring. I dont think its that they dont care though. But we all have to remember the way that something sounds on a CD is always different that what its going to be like live. Of course some of them are oging to be complicated and they are going to fuck up, but at least they try and play it anyways. Its not the same as in the studio when they make the music where they can have time after time to get it perfect.

Kamaria said:
i can understand that people are concerned with COB but at the same time if you dont feel that the music is not up to your expectations then perhaps they hsould just stop listening to them. Afterall we dont have any say oncesoever with what Alexi or anyone else in the band chooses to carry on and preform onstage. I do believe that they do their best but sometimes i think it can get tiring. I dont think its that they dont care though. But we all have to remember the way that something sounds on a CD is always different that what its going to be like live. Of course some of them are oging to be complicated and they are going to fuck up, but at least they try and play it anyways. Its not the same as in the studio when they make the music where they can have time after time to get it perfect.
Listen to Tokyo Warheats asshole, that shit is near perfect. Watch mystic festival DVD, that shit is amazing! Alexi used to be the man. He just needs to go in the right direction! These new songs are awesome, but very predictable and easy to play, not cool man. And you also said, if you don't like new Bodom just stop listening to them.........listen man, Children Of Bodom is one of a kind music, if I just stop listening to them, what am I left with? They are the best band in the world, but I am not proud to show my friends AYDY, that album does not match what the best music in the world should sound like. nice thread Rudy

Seriously, this topic has been done to death.

If his skill is decreasing just stop going to the shows and whatnot. Like Herman Li (Nobel Viking) said, its just not as good so no point in going.

I saw them play in November and March and loved it personnaly, but seriously its as simple as that. No one buys anymore CoB stuff, maybe they'll take some time off to work on their skills and you'll get the older CoB back, or maybe not. People seem to forget that a band is just some dudes getign together and rockin' out, and they will do waht they want how they want it.

The band is amking cash and having a blast with there career, which is the most important part, they dont have a reason to change what they are doing and probably wont.

And blaming it on Alcohol is dumb.

HateCrewDeathroll said:
Listen to Tokyo Warheats asshole, that shit is near perfect. Watch mystic festival DVD, that shit is amazing! Alexi used to be the man. He just needs to go in the right direction! These new songs are awesome, but very predictable and easy to play, not cool man. And you also said, if you don't like new Bodom just stop listening to them.........listen man, Children Of Bodom is one of a kind music, if I just stop listening to them, what am I left with? They are the best band in the world, but I am not proud to show my friends AYDY, that album does not match what the best music in the world should sound like. nice thread Rudy

I strongly agree! Children of Bodom IS ONE OF A KIND. and you're very right, we can't just stop listening to them because their new albums have dropped below their previous album standards. at least with their new ablums you can still tell that you are listening to COB. they still have "their sound" but it's just not as good as their old shit. maybe if alexi tries to kill himself again, he'll go back to writing his old ways...cuz he did attempt suicide after the release of Something Wild and so maybe that's what helped him write music for Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper. like inspiration ya know? all those emotions of hate and depression boiling inside of him. haha, poor alexi. but that's why he drinks so much :kickass:

Kamaria said:

true..... good words, Kamaria.... well said! :)

Ok, read this: You say Bodom used to be perfect live players until 2001 or so. Didn't Alexi say he became punk fan in 2002? Fan of Sex Pistols, recording Ramones cover, Billy Idol (some call post-punk) cover, Finnish punk band cover. I heard Alexi formed a punk band with Finnish name. Here you have your explanation.

Punk=sloppy, not perfect. Nothing neoclassical anymore. Songwriting changed, not many different parts in songs anymore, now always the same parts repeated in patterns. I dont think it will change. Accept that you lost a good band and let other people (new fans) enjoy Bodom!

Nikotiini said:
YES! And I say if anymore fucking idiots post this topic again NO ONE REPLY! Whats the point in making 16 threads about the SAME OLD SHIT??????

I think that you are the only "fucking idiot" here for spending so much time berating us for showing concern about a band that we love. Go start a thread about something meaningful to you, but don't come in here slinging shit...totally uncalled for.

Yeah, Bodom is one of a kind. No one can sound like them. Sure, there's alwayz gonna sound someone kind of like them, but it's not like they'll be copying the same material and they'll have their own style. The next album is either gonna go uphill or downhill for them. Most likely it's gonna rock, but if it sux then they should maybe stop making music....like maybe they've just totally run out of ideas and there is nothing more to make. Then again, like Cliff Burton said, they just wanna rock and they'll never stop cuz they're just doing what they do best.

MasqueReaper said:
Bodom was my favorite band for a very long time, although HCDR and AYDY are not as technically and melodically astounding as FTR, I cannot fault Alexi for choosing to write his own brand of music. I do, however, feel that Alexi is purposely dumbing down his new material because he no longer wishes to perform songs such as Kissing the Shadow or Mask of Sanity, songs that are more difficult to pull off live (even though they are arguably better songs than the new stuff). I am upset with the obvious deterioration of Alexi's live performance (ONLY Alexi...Jaska and co. are the shit). As many people have already pointed out, Alexi no longer tries to prove himself every night the way he used to, he wammies through awesome riffs he used to shred, and he doesnt really seem to care about the musicallity the way he used to. Alexi still rights awesome songs, such as "If you want Peace..." but then he doesnt even bother attempting them live either for fear of messing up, or because he gotten too lazy to replace the HCDR songs he can probably play in his sleep at this point. A good example is the fact that Bodom has played TL&S and Bastards of Bodom live before, but then Alexi decided to "never" play the songs again for various reasons. Wtf? I have seen Alexi rip Warrior Princess and Beware the Heavens live online...I wonder if he is even capable of writing or playing Sinergy anymore...Does anyone else feel this way? What has happened?

This thread is meant for true (and concerned) Bodom fans

Solid post, I pretty much agree with all of that!

I think, bodom still rocks on aydy, and i also think that somebody who hangs on to the history will never get further(or something like that)
and, most important, i'll get some jd right now...

thanks everyone :)
and calling ppl assholes is totally unnessesary
just because i dont share the same view as you it does not give you any right to talk down to me.

but i still stick by my statement. i still love bodom no matter what and i will always love their music. The fact that they are not perfect live does not phase me. If you dont like the way they've changed then it sounds like you dont respect their want for different musical direction and a different style. They have every right to try different things and become tired with the old as well as get tired and sometimes lazy. It happens at one time or another in every band. It doesnt mean they are going to stay that way forever its just sometimes the fame takes a toll on their mental and physical abilities.