What if...

Anarkissed

BOK CHOY!!!
May 3, 2003
Uranus
anarkissed.deviantart.com
...Opeth re-recorded their first three albums? It'd be refreshing to hear them produced in the quality of Blackwater Park and onwards.

Or, do you believe that this would ruin the atmosphere of the albums? They all have unique sounds, and if they were to be re-recorded then there's the possiblity that they would all sound the same.

nice icon doremi. i just picked up the bloodbath cd two days ago. it's pretty brutal. death metal isn't my thing, but fuckin akerfeldt was on it, so, haha. regarding opeth re-recording the first three albums, i say no. the sound of them is unique to the time, and it would just make it sound like the newer production, which, does sound great, however, i like the fact that the first two records have that different sound.

If they rerecorded them they'd lose the magic - look at Iron Maiden rerecording Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot in 1988. Good versions but without the magic of the originals.
Morningrise and MAYH are great the way they are (still not got Orchid though :( )

chaveta said:
nah... they'd butcher Orchid, what with them sucking lately and all.
LOL couldn't have said it better myself... well minus a bit of spite.

Honestly, I dont think they would.. Opeth are ever looking forward and to go back and have to relearn the old material, have to master it all again, I think it would take them too much time... much less all the reissues that would have to be printed.

i think what would be more likely and interesting is if they re-recorded a track or two as bonus tracks on a EP or as something on the next album. Nice for the fans, not too much work and an interesting experiment.
I am all for that.

Yeah, I suppose that would be pretty cool...but I don't think it would live up to the originals. I mean, listen to Cradle's re-take on their Principle of Evil Made Flesh material...it's pretty good production-wise, etc, but the originals are simply better - better atmosphere, all of it. Not to say I wouldn't like to listen to an Opeth take on one of their old songs...I'd like to hear how To Bid You Farewell comes across live...can't wait until they come back to Australia, only a couple of months now...

I think the production on MAYH onwards is great, but Orchid and Morningrise sound a little dated, it adds to the atmosphere though. I still love them :D

Morningrise is my favourite sounding Opeth album of the lot. Very primitive, but it has a completely different and superior (imo) atmosphere to the recent albums

they should re-record 'To bid you farewell' (I heard somewhere that they're going to) vocals are horrible most of the time, some parts require re-composition and the guitar playing could be much better. it's a great song that deserves better recording.

Anarkissed said:
...Opeth re-recorded their first three albums? It'd be refreshing to hear them produced in the quality of Blackwater Park and onwards.

Or, do you believe that this would ruin the atmosphere of the albums? They all have unique sounds, and if they were to be re-recorded then there's the possiblity that they would all sound the same.
mm, what a uhh, shit idea.
nice one!