What is Borknagar?

How about a complete reversion to the first album. Raw, with all growls and screams and clean vocals only for background chants.

Rivfadír;7154701 said:
How about listening to the thousands of other bands who do exactly that, then?

Borknagar sounds very unique, despite its more traditional leanings. The guitar-work sets it apart from most BM bands.

Yes, Borknagar should go forward, but not as a Vintersorg side-project.

I'm sorry but, statements like that just pisses me off...
You and others have said this on occasion, and I just wonder why you say it. Saying that Borknagar is a Vintersorg side-project is just plain wrong (Øystein is the main songwriter), and you should know better. Mr.V writes very little of the Borknagar music, sure, he's in charge of the songlines, but that's about it.
Vintersorg and Borknagar has evolved over the years, both touching progressive territories, and we have the same singer, so yes, to an untrained ear this will sound the same.

No ofference but you're always bitching like that, the bands are totally different. The only song I've ever thought to be in any way a "Vintersorg" song is Soul Sphere.

I can't hear and see how is it, I don't hear any similarity with Vintersorg - the band. Vintersorg is more avantgarde now and less agressive, more progressive, etx; even Andreas sings is a different way on it so I can't get what are u talking about.

Yeah I mean who could think that the Focusing Blur and Empiricism were from the same band? Haha. Borknagar is way different to Vintersorg's solo material. Like Allfader said, Vintersorg is more avant-garde, maybe a bit weirder in a sense as well? And I still can't get over that chorus in the Black Canvas, soooo good.

Yeah I mean who could think that the Focusing Blur and Empiricism were from the same band? Haha. Borknagar is way different to Vintersorg's solo material. Like Allfader said, Vintersorg is more avant-garde, maybe a bit weirder in a sense as well? And I still can't get over that chorus in the Black Canvas, soooo good.

If Borknagar is a cup of tall drip coffee, Vintersorg is a venti soy triple split shot hazelnut mocha extra hot no foam extra whip and sprinkles on top.

I think Seattle is finally getting to me.

I guess none of you thought I was joking. I'll put a j/k at the bottom of the post next time. I've just been raised as a pessimist, and when I see a declining trend, I've learned to expect that trend to continue. I know Borknagar is capable of defying that trend. I think the problem is that Vintersorg's vocals tend to overpower the rest of the music, as if he was trying to get the most attention, and as a result I much more easily remember his vocal melodies, and often forget the good guitar and drum work that I struggle to hear behind those vocals. This is why I hope that there are maximum growled vocals on the new album, because they allow the instrumental music to carry the melody, and no singing to overpower it. Andreas is a very talented vocalist, but Borknagar is a band I love because of its powerful music, and if that music is playing second fiddle to vocals, I cannot appreciate it as much as I'd like.

That he's only here to complain?
No, as the Borknagar Forum, all posters here have an opinion and it just so happens some posters' opinions on the music is more controversial than the others. He's not trolling and expressing his views on the subject, and did nothing wrong.

I guess none of you thought I was joking. I'll put a j/k at the bottom of the post next time. I've just been raised as a pessimist, and when I see a declining trend, I've learned to expect that trend to continue. I know Borknagar is capable of defying that trend. I think the problem is that Vintersorg's vocals tend to overpower the rest of the music, as if he was trying to get the most attention, and as a result I much more easily remember his vocal melodies, and often forget the good guitar and drum work that I struggle to hear behind those vocals. This is why I hope that there are maximum growled vocals on the new album, because they allow the instrumental music to carry the melody, and no singing to overpower it. Andreas is a very talented vocalist, but Borknagar is a band I love because of its powerful music, and if that music is playing second fiddle to vocals, I cannot appreciate it as much as I'd like.

:)

It's much better when people back their opinions up like this, this is food for thought. Not sure if I agree, but I do see your point.

No, as the Borknagar Forum, all posters here have an opinion and it just so happens some posters' opinions on the music is more controversial than the others. He's not trolling and expressing his views on the subject, and did nothing wrong.
There's a difference between giving an opinion and making a statement. Most people try to back up their opinion with examples, rather than ranting on an on about it like a little baby because no one is listening.

:)

It's much better when people back their opinions up like this, this is food for thought. Not sure if I agree, but I do see your point.

I'm glad you understand, and I apologize if I seemed callous. What I need to realize is that I'm entrenched in a more traditional Black Metal aesthetic in terms of aggression and overall style. All my favorite bands fall within this genre and it becomes almost a competition between them all vying to be crowned as my favorite band. Thus I compare Borknagar with bands like Aborym and Limbonic Art, who in regard to Borknagar are staying fast, aggressive, and "evil".

And here arises a personal paradox in that Borknagar is such a unique band that I classify as Black Metal, but with a prevalence of clean vocals and unconventional elements. If I view the band's evolution from a genre-ist perspective, it's easy to complain about the band's departure from the Black Metal aesthetic. I need to adopt the view that Borknagar is its own genre, an individual entity that while rooted in Black Metal, should by no means be dictated by that genre. Why criticize a band for not being "kvlt" enough when the band isn't trying to be that way?

That said, by no way do I invalidate my opinion that this band's best material was recorded before Andreas joined the band. That is my opinion, and I have a right to it. However, I will respect the band's path of evolution regardless of how it results. If I see you all returning to your roots, as I have honestly hoped, the motive should be from the heart of the band and not the wishes of the stalwart fans.

Good luck in writing the new album. And I hope you enjoy writing it as much as we'll enjoy listening to it.