What is Discouraged Ones like?

Greentea

Dec 13, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
My first album by Katatonia I bought was Brave Murder Day a couple of years ago and has remained one of the best albums I've ever heard. How does it compare to that and in between Tonights Decision?

Greentea said:
My first album by Katatonia I bought was Brave Murder Day a couple of years ago and has remained one of the best albums I've ever heard. How does it compare to that and in between Tonights Decision?
well, I would say that "Brave Murder Day" is a unique Gothic/Doom/Death masterpiece... If you'd like to compare, then maybe with the October Tide releases.
"Discouraged Ones" even goes some steps further and is a milestone in the history of Katatonia as Jonas appears first time as the lead singer with his fragile vocals. The record also is a lesson of melancholic monotony, somehow hypnotic, mainly as the record sounds like one long song (IMO)...
"Tonight's decision" actually continues logically where "Discouraged ones" ended... Technically better (especially the vocals) and the songs are even more professional and mature than the previous releases...

Discouraged Ones is one of the most beautiful and melencholic albums ever - Very simple riffs, clean and desperate vocals - nowhere near as accessible as Tonight's Decision - this one is for rainy, cloudy days - brilliant!

Brave Murder Day is one of the most melencholic doom masterpeices I've ever heard. It was the first album I got from them last year and still is my favorite. I love their doom in the past ( and doom metal in general ) and recently ordered Dance of December Souls after hearing two of the songs off the Brave Yesterdays collection. When I went from BMD to Viva Emptiness I didn't know what to think after such a radical change. But I really loved that album ( nearly as good as BMD ) and Tonight's Decision. Wasn't too fond of Last Fair Deal Gone Done but finnaly starting to get into it. I can't think of another band that's made such a dramatic change musically where I like both old and new. I can't wait to get Dance of December Souls in the mail and will most definitly get Discouraged Ones after that.

LoboUivante said:
and for funerals to come is performed by him on vocals too... someone is not giving proper info. :p
yes, you are right... Sorry about this!
To me Katatonia hasn't been interesting before Brave Murder Day, so I actually don't care for the previous releases... Next time, I'll inform myself more detailed... ;)

Discouraged Ones - is freakenly good album! I heard it first in 1998 and bought. After LFDGD release I have not been listening to DO very long time. Yesterday I inserted the cd in a player and understood, that "GONE" track is right about things happened 2 me right a month ago! I bought the album, met a girl with whom i lived during last 3 years, thought it will be forever, but she dumped me out, and i hear about it from 1998-year Jonas!!! Premonition?

Happy end: i come to my girlfriend's home very often, we drink beer and i fuck her;), but..."now as you're gone i'm on my own...WHEN I WAS THINKIN THIS WAS SOMETHIN PERMANENT, YOU WERE ALREADY THINKIN OF GOIN AWAY"

There are two kind of people i think.
one ADORES discouraged ones.
other HATES discoruaged ones.

there's no middle..if you know what i mean.
some idiots think that it's a dull album with repeated riffs and boring vocals.
others (including myself of course) think
Wanderer said:
No words or no motions can describe discouraged ones.It can be discribed by itself that is why it really exists.

at least that's what happened to me when i let my friends listen to DO. :dopey:

uhmm… it has ‘Deadhouse’. Together with ‘Brave’ the best ‘Katatonic’ vibes ever produced.

my god ... it's for me one of the three most listened Katatonia albums. I love... really ... I love the song Stalemate. When I first check this ou, I think - " Hmm, nothing special", but when I listened to it many times I just changed this words to "Hmm, it's something special".

And these words : i shut the door and close my sight ... at the end of the day ...

Exquisite.