What is it about some bands being on so many tours?

but it is the life and path they picked. Everyone knows that touring isnt easy. The living on 4 dollars a day.....that is your own fault. You need to save for that. My brothers band toured Europe and the US a few times....he always saved money up so he could actually eat and do stuff on the road. It is the non thinkers who go out with no money thinking they will earn money on the road to get by.

I dont blame the bands that are touring I blame the guy who is putting these things together......non one is begging for Swashbuckle to come to thier town 4 to 6 times a year.

but the issue with this statement is "he always saved up money." so that would mean he had a job, correct? but when you tour for 10 months out of the year that IS your job so there is no saving money when you don't have it.

my band lives on $4 a day so when the tour is over we can get paid a lot more. if we are going to eat at expensive places then we are blowing our earnings. not everyone has a bus, stays in a hotel and gets food at shows besides pizza and firehouse sub plates. if they do they are Kamelot and Primal Fear, but surely not the opening acts.

the "people" putting these things together are the record labels and booking agents who work almost hand in hand together. so the reason the same bands are on the same tours all the time is because the record labels want to sell CDs and merch and get their bands exposure. again, it's all economics. when the bands get bigger then they MIGHT have more input who they tour with, but not usually because at that point the band is a paycheck and they don't care who comes along on tour.

again, just my opinions.

But when a band like Swashbuckle plays every tour.....it is a huge detourance.

I am sure Nuclear Blast is wanting these guys to get out there as much as possible to make a quick buck off of them since they are a complete gimmick band (this I agree on Jason). But when a band tours so much it almost becomes annoying. Nothing is worse than a great band headlining with a terrible opening line up. I understand not every show can be amazing but I see this trend growing and growing.

IMO, (everyone please understand IMO so I dont get flamed :D ) Swashbuckle won that contest SOLEY because they had such a gimmick with the pirate cosutmes and decent music. There are several bands out there that are just as good if not way better, but for some reason the pirate cover got the attention of Nuclear Blast, but hey, more power to them. I fear that Swashbuckle will not have longevity in their success because eventually the pirate gimmick will be played out, along with the inflatable palmtrees and the "I'm on a Boat" intro to their set.

Now why is bands like Swashbuckle and Blackguard on so many tours? HMMM from what I can see and can verify with a decent ammount of certainty is:

A) They have connections because of Nuclear Blast to booking agents and managements that run these tours. Because that new "folk" style metal and the pirate shit is catching on in the US, naturally NB thinks they could make some money selling cds and shirts from the bands on these tours. so KA-CHING for the label.

B) I would bet a prog power ticket that these bands had to buy on to these tours, OR at very least pay a pretty heafty percentage to the headliner out of their guarantee just to get a slot on the tour. So once again it becomes a matter of who wants to pay the bill for good exposure. Miles saw Swashbuckle even be the STAGE HANDS FOR THE SHOW in Tampa at the Korpiklaani tour AND I saw BLACKGUARD on the Ensiferum tour do the same.... Do what it takes to play infront of hundreds of new faces.

Buy-ins aren't automatic, and the label might cover that. It depends what deals the band has with the label. Did the band or label purchase the merch? Are the bands selling it for each other, or are they paying some merch dude?

I think what we saw with Swashbuckle will become more popular, that is, an 'opening act' doing tech.

But say you sell 20 t-shirts, and 10 CDs (which you bought from the label). You just made $500. And that's reasonable if you put on a great set. Sure you aren't going to get rick on the 20 stop tour, but after expenses you might come away with a couple grand. For that time, if you are lucky, you weren't paying any expenses back home such as rent, other than storage space. You aren't going to get rich, but you can live on it for a while.

If these bands dont end up losing money on their first tours in a new market then they are VERY lucky. As I stated in the previous, dont be supprised if they had to dish out that cash to get on. Any new band that comes back from a new-market-tour with money in had is a success in my opinion, even if its a buck. Alot of these tours also only hit certain markets in the US, some of them being a repeat city. The bands have to weigh the pros and cons of the dates as well, Even if they over play one city maybe the other tour goes to the west coast of the US and not just the East, so then it would be worth it.

It also has a lot to do with booking agent preference. I know for a fact that Finberg really likes Warbringer, so he tries to put them on a lot of tours to get them more and more exposure.

This is true, Depends on who knows who and who like the band. If Finburg likes them then by all means they will get the slot. I know Finberg is a tough cookie to even speak to so if you make it into his circle of bands he talks to then your doing something right.

the ONLY way a band makes it today is by making new fans and developing a fan base and they do so by TOURING and meeting people. sure you might see the same bands all the time, but that is because you live in a BIG MARKET where the tours always happen, but a majority of the dates could be in smaller towns they have never been too. plus, it also could mean you are a diehard and go to a ton of shows. not EVERYONE goes to a ton of shows. so most bands have to factor in that more touring means more opportunity to meet and make new fans thanks to exposure of playing with bigger bands.

however you want to slice it, if you can really sit here on this message board and somehow "slight" bands getting out there and touring and playing their music and attempting to make a living then YOU are the one with the problem not the bands slugging it out there on the road. try living in van on $4 a day for 10 months out of the year. you wouldn't make it very far, trust me.

from personal experience i will say this. my band started as side project and did three albums as a studio project. we have toured the US the last 4 years part time (2 months every summer) and i now own a house thanks to our fans. touring most DEFINITELY helps bands achieve more success, but it is no easy road getting there.

so if you don't like certain opening bands don't watch them, but sure as don't talk poorly about them being on the road all the time because it is surely a life YOU would never want to live.
Good post. I couldn't live that life. Much respect to anybody who does, even if they suck. I like that Ohio has banned smoking at all the indoor venues, because most of them now have a smoking area outside, so if somebody sucks, I just go out and smoke.

"Bands never tour around me"
"Bands who tour here aren't good"
"I can't afford to go see the bands I want"
"Certain bands tour too much"

I see a common trend here...

I'm generally getting tired of people complaining about certain things "ruining" a show for them.

1. Shitty opening bands

So what? Watch them, walk around, sit down and rest, or go outside during their set. Sure...it's cool to have some good openers and it definitely makes the show better. But just because an opening band is bad doesn't mean you are FORCED to watch it.

2. The crowd

Oh no the crowd sucked...the show was great but there were too many hardcore dancers/assholes/crowd surfers/scene kids/etc. If you don't want to get involved, stay in the very front (you can push your way up there...I can easily get 2nd row from all the way in the back of the venue) or stand in the back/on the sides. Sure hardcore dancers/some moshers piss me off but people exaggerate way too much.

Just enjoy the show. People complain way too much. Wait outside until the band you wanna see, come in, run to the front, and enjoy yourself. It's not that hard. It's supposed to be FUN.

I'm generally getting tired of people complaining about certain things "ruining" a show for them.

1. Shitty opening bands

So what? Watch them, walk around, sit down and rest, or go outside during their set. Sure...it's cool to have some good openers and it definitely makes the show better. But just because an opening band is bad doesn't mean you are FORCED to watch it.

2. The crowd

Oh no the crowd sucked...the show was great but there were too many hardcore dancers/assholes/crowd surfers/scene kids/etc. If you don't want to get involved, stay in the very front (you can push your way up there...I can easily get 2nd row from all the way in the back of the venue) or stand in the back/on the sides. Sure hardcore dancers/some moshers piss me off but people exaggerate way too much.

Just enjoy the show. People complain way too much. Wait outside until the band you wanna see, come in, run to the front, and enjoy yourself. It's not that hard. It's supposed to be FUN.

Yeah, I don't see a problem in people complaining... It doesn't RUIN things for me, but it is annoying.
I don't want to see a shitload of openers... It does affect the overall experience.. So does a crappy crowd... And I am not necessarily talking about moshers (It does not bother me that much), but I find the audience to be a fundamental part in making the concert memorable and setting up the atmosphere for the gig.

:lol:

Unfortunately, security and local law enforcement would likely frown upon me engaging in the striking down of hardcore dancers. However, I suspect they lack the training and the resources to deal with biblical plagues. :loco:

Zod

Funny story about ONE single hardcore dancer at Katatonia/Moonspell concert in a shithole in Poughkeepsie and a few people pissed off at him (including the security guys)... Remind me of telling you next time I see you.

I can tell you that he definitely lacked the training and resources to deal with it. :lol:

Hardcore dancing is fun...at hardcore shows.

1. Shitty opening bands

I generally agree with you, but that might because I get into most shows for free. If I paid for a ticket, I think I would have the right to whine about opening bands. Many times, when I'm on the fence about going to see a headliner, the opening bands make or break the deal. Having a constant flow of shitty opening bands doesn't really make any shows look appealing.

Funny story about ONE single hardcore dancer at Katatonia/Moonspell concert in a shithole in Poughkeepsie and a few people pissed off at him (including the security guys)... Remind me of telling you next time I see you.
Ah, Poughkeepsie. Was that The Chance, by chance? I'd love to hear that story too.

Got not much to add on topic except that I'm small, and older and there's no way I can just wiggle or shove my way up to the front without a pass and no way I can see from the back. All the bullshit "dancing" or posturing or whatever is a total show stopper for people like me, but we're used to it.

All those warm-up bands are a drag to wait through, which is why I always find a good pub near every venue, but they are used to fill in when a headliner can't draw capacity. You can always count on all these little local bands to bring their friends and family at least.

Have at it boys, I'm in the bar. :kickass: