What made you sad today?

I've had one of those days where just everything goes wrong from the start. It seems like I'm actually getting things back on track, though. Still looking forward to going to bed tonight, though. :lol:

This is for both yesterday and today, the tragic news of the death of Gary Speed. For those who do not know him, he was an ex-Footballer (Soccer) and was the current Manager of the Wales National Team. A massive and tragic loss for the Sport and for the World.

I've been in a piano slump the last few weeks. I haven't had much desire to play or learn anything even though I'm about to begin lessons again with my old professor. Although I should be practicing a Chopin nocturne that he's suggested I start on, I just haven't found the motivation to play it. The piece itself isn't that entertaining or pleasing to my ears, except for this chorale in the middle section, but the rest of it is not that fun to me.

To make matters worse, due to the horrible US economy and how royally screwed up the school system is, I probably just won't be able to get the financial aid to go to school for what I really want to do - composing music. However, I'm more likely to be able to get the funds if I have the career goal of teaching, so maybe I will just be a music teacher. I've been forced to rethink my goals in life... Teaching may be the way to go, but if I can't even do that I may be forced to go a completely different route. I love music though, and don't want to abandon it, but having not been formally trained until I was 19 and not being fortunate enough to afford school... I don't know. I keep listening to Children of the Dream to keep me happy but I don't even know anymore :(

Not going to bore you with my details but totally know how it feels, I'm having thoughts quite similair myself. Hopefully someone else here can give you some inspiring/ uplifting words. The only thing I can say is if you abbandon your goals now you'll regret it in 10 years, so don't! And wish I could be more of help.

Also, on a not so serious note...you just made your 1928th post, well done.

I've been in a piano slump the last few weeks. I haven't had much desire to play or learn anything even though I'm about to begin lessons again with my old professor. Although I should be practicing a Chopin nocturne that he's suggested I start on, I just haven't found the motivation to play it. The piece itself isn't that entertaining or pleasing to my ears, except for this chorale in the middle section, but the rest of it is not that fun to me.

To make matters worse, due to the horrible US economy and how royally screwed up the school system is, I probably just won't be able to get the financial aid to go to school for what I really want to do - composing music. However, I'm more likely to be able to get the funds if I have the career goal of teaching, so maybe I will just be a music teacher. I've been forced to rethink my goals in life... Teaching may be the way to go, but if I can't even do that I may be forced to go a completely different route. I love music though, and don't want to abandon it, but having not been formally trained until I was 19 and not being fortunate enough to afford school... I don't know. I keep listening to Children of the Dream to keep me happy but I don't even know anymore :(

I've been there many times over the years dude when it comes to motivation to play and practice when the inspiration just isn't there. It's a tough place to be....but rest assured, it will pass and your mojo will be back mate.

As for the financials, yeah it's tough. Hence why I have stuck with my IT career in the background as a means to financing what I love and as a safety net as well.

Teaching could indeed be an option and could help to finance further studies in the long run.

Never give up on your dreams man.......I wanted to make records since the age of 13 or so......and didn't get to do it until I was 29 so there was a long wait for me but I'm a firm believer in the old adage "good things come to those who wait". I know it doesn't always feel that way.......but in my experience it is definitely true.

Hang in there dude. If you love something enough you'll find a way to make it work. I know there are obstacles in your way but nothing without challenge is worth doing anyway, right? At the end of the day you gotta do what you love, you only get about fourscore on this earth and you'd rather be an 80 year old proud of doing it his way than settling and bitterly resenting yourself.

As usual, Power Quest to the rescue:

(Find a way) you're not the only one, (Living a life) on a wing and prayer, (Turn around) face another day, You and I have nothing to lose

Also, a song that can often give me goosebumps or move me to tears when I think about my own life:

Every day, carry out the same routine
9 to 5, cogs in the human machine
40 years, doing what they tell you to
Now you're old, is this what you waited for?

Can't you see, not the way it has to be
Make a choice, beauty of humanity
No regrets, I did what I wanted to
Time to die: you did what they told you to

:'(

Thanks a lot everyone, it really means a lot to me. Big thanks to Steve too, I have to admit PQ and you yourself Steve are a big inspiration to me to keep pushing ahead. Better days await, eh? :)

Oh also :lol: @ that being my 1928th post, how... celebratory, haha!

This Cough and Sore Throat I got out of nowhere since Sunday morning just seems to be getting worse whenever I think it can't get any worse. I'm having to cough pretty much every few seconds and it hurts horribly every time. Not had a cough this bad in a long time.

That song rocks Powerray, thanks for sharing! Forgot about that one, it's a great tune.

Hope you feel better soon Kingface, I was sick not too long ago with a similar bug and I was so relieved when it finally passed.

This Cough and Sore Throat I got out of nowhere since Sunday morning just seems to be getting worse whenever I think it can't get any worse. I'm having to cough pretty much every few seconds and it hurts horribly every time. Not had a cough this bad in a long time.

Get well soon my man! Nothing like a bad cough/sore throat to drag you down....and it is tiring too eh? Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery