What makes nu-metal so new?

Southy

Proud Brisbane Metaller
Jul 28, 2001
Brisbane,Australia
Visit site
com'n then ya smarty bums what makes all this nu-metal so new?? it has been nu-metal fo ryears now..aint it about time it is just called metal??...who needs all this seperation stuff it just gets confusing.....specially if ya were to get a traditionaly sounding nu0metal rap/rock funky sorta band..see what i mean confusing..anyhow more rambling from me...but still the question beckons what makes it so new..i thought it was industrial a few years ago??

:loco:

Just has a different name because if you called both Iron Maiden and Slipknot metal, it doesnt seem to sound right, its just categorisation, besides, if it was all called metal, people couldnt have pointless arguments about what metal band "rulez" and what "sux"
:D

P.S. Shouldnt it be Ye Olde Metal? :)

I agree it shouldn't be called nu-mteal, for 2 reasons:

1. It ain't new anymore.
2. It ain't metal!

How about something which sums up how it is a blend of rock, hardcore, rap/hip-hop and metal influences?

Like... Rap Core? or something. Heavy Core lol... I dunno, but nu-metal is a dumb name, and "metal" isn't appropriate either.

Nu-Metals just crap and thats all there is to it say about it.

I don't give a F***K if music is stuck in the past or not, I don't follow trends and to me just because theres a new style of Music around dosen't mean that it's better, My view is that it's worse.:D

Yeah I much prefer to call it mallcore than nu-metal, but even mallcore seems like an odd term, because of the "mall" part lol... I don't think a shopping centre is really a good point of definition.

How about Moshcore? Because most of the music is written to be moshed to hehe.

Hahaha "bag-o-shite" is brilliant! Just picture it... a review in Beat Magazine or something...

"The new album by the worlds biggest bag-o-shite band Korn hits stores today..."

"Bag-o-shite band Slipknot will be hitting Australian shores in support of their new album..."

Hahahaha! I LIKE IT!

Ahhh its just not rock n roll anymore... where has all the fun gone? Who needs slow boring depressing songs with whiney vocals about their dad fucking them when they were a child, or about their bad school memories being called a faggot (Korn anyone? hehe).

Hahaha I remember when Megadeth were on the Heavy Shift, Jess asked Dave if he has ever regretted taking a support band out with them, and he said the first night they took Korn out on the road in the mid 90s, he went to the side of the stage to have a listen, and the singer was singing "I'm a faggot" hahaha... and he thought "Oh shit what have I done!" I can imagine how well that would go down at a Megadeth show... haha!

How about "hard-bore"? Most of this stuff makes such an effort to be hardcore, but is actually generic, uninspired and pretty damn tedious to listen to as far as my clapped out, old-school ears are concerned.

For example, much as I agree with the concept that people equal shit, I find said Slipknot song impossible to enjoy on any level. I've always preferred melodic riffs and solos to the ear splitting wall of noise approach. Likewise, actual *singing* requires far more talent and inspiration than just yelling into a microphone about how messed up your life is.

I sense a great disturbance in the Force. Think I'll move into a cave until the next round of this inevitable argument blows over...

W

PS: For what it's worth, I don't mind the odd Fear Factory song every now and then. Doubt I could sit through a whole album though.

I love Fear Factory, I love Slipknot (People = Shit rules! But then my brother says I like all that kind of aggressive stuff because i have issues with mankind that need to be dealt with.......what does he know??)
I agree about the singing part, especially on the new album, they go overboard with trying to prove how hardcore they are.....but I still dont mind it :)

Anyways, numetal in 5 years will be the same as grunge is now i.e. A trend that didnt last, but did have a few good to great bands in among the shite :)

Nu-metal is basically punk with harsher guitar and growly/yelling or rappish lyrics. In other words, it has no complex riffs, (save a few bands, but they suck anyway) and virtually takes no talent to pull off. I could grab a couple of you right now and make a SlipKnot clone... true metal takes talent. You can't just form a band from nowhere, slap a few notes on your Ibanez and say, "Yeah, we're metal." Bands like that gets trashed after one recording. Basically anything on the radio (save old-world Metallica) is NOT metal.

Originally posted by NoLordy Capone
I could grab a couple of you right now and make a SlipKnot clone... true metal takes talent.

Hey!! If you took a bunch of people from this board you would have a kick arse metal band because we all know what good metal is! :D

Originally posted by spawn

Hey!! If you took a bunch of people from this board you would have a kick arse metal band because we all know what good metal is! :D

Depends on who he picks Spawny. Remember he said true metal takes talent. I may know what it is, but I don't know how to do it :(

Southy, depsite that fact that "nu-metal" is neither new nor metal, it was a term coined by the music industry to differentiate it from other forms of "metal", and music in general. By calling it metal, it was hoped that the style would attract those who liked metal and by referring to it as "new" it would let people know that it was new school, rather than the more familiar styles that we are more comfortable with. :)

As for industrial, that's a completely different thing altogether, a completely different genre of music allied to metal through the work of bands like Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad, but more directly the realm of acts like KMFDM, Einsturzende Neubauten, Bauhaus, Godflesh and the like. Note that industrial music is often also confused with Goth, thanks to people like Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor, who are actually neither, but whose music appeals to a wide spectrum of listeners!

Originally posted by phlogiston

Depends on who he picks Spawny. Remember he said true metal takes talent. I may know what it is, but I don't know how to do it :(

Like hell, we would kick arse phloggy, we are angry young men (when we can be bothered :) )
If you know what good metal is, then we can just sit there doing it until we stumble across it. Just because it takes time doesnt make us any less good :D
So, I reiterate, any metal band with us in it kicks arse :D
Dont argue with me Phloggy, you wouldnt like me when im angry :D