What music closest to the style of Emperor's Prometheus album can you think of?

I'd say Emperor are at least one of the most technical BM-bands (without losing their accessibility), nevertheless you'll find more technical stuff in the DM-corner. The sound of Emperor is just more complex and weird than other BM-stuff and therefore confuses. However, writing an album like "Prometheus" alone demands a lot from the musician though.

Theory in Practice are a good example for technical DM, unfortunatley their vox suck. Myrksog are good too, but it's not technical at all, sounds fast but is quite easily played stuff. Cryptopsy are my favourite regarding weird and technical DM. Unfortunately I never heard anything of Cynic or Atheist...:confused:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom

I'll have to give it another go in a few months, maybe my mindset will have changed. :err:

So you'll have to dust of 'A Fine Day to Exit' and 'Prometheus'!! ;)

Save yourself a few months and do it now. They're great albums and I know a music guru like yourself will come to appreciate that. Besides, your avatar is from one of my all time favourite albums!:headbang:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I dunno. I listened to it for a month, and I could, at no time, sing you a single riff off it. And I could probably sing every riff from every part of Anthems (well, that would be if I could sing....)

That doesn't make it crap :rolleyes: :p I can sing many riffs off it actually! :D Whereas anthems I hardly know.. I've only had it a few weeks, but don't listen to it that much anyway... don't know why...

Fucktards.

Those of you who ditch Prometheus and emperor without proper reason have forfeited any chance of me taking anything you say about music seriously, because you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about, and therefor you points are invalid.

Those of you who really gave prometheus a good listen, and didn't like it, fair enough.

Anyway retards, was this thread entitled COME FLAME EMPEROR HERE? I don't think so.

I don't actually care if you like emperor or not, but if your gonna be a dickhead about it, my advice is to not be a dickhead.

i was in a foul mood to start with.

meh.

Although I'm an Emperor fan, if I see you in Ballarat, you're getting a bitchslapping...

So what if people don't like Emperor? Who gives a fuck? They're an extraordinary band, I know that, you know that, but some people just don't understand.

Those of you who really gave prometheus a good listen, and didn't like it, fair enough.

I actually bought the album... on reccomendation of one of these fools on this forum.

I kept it for a month... just in case it grew on me... But basically, the guitaring is primitive. Fast, but primitive.... And i don't even need to mention the vocals, if 'vocals' is what you can call them. I listen to stuff like Atheist and Cynic, and i appreciate what is done with the vocals largely, but emperor: *shakes head*. It is screaming for the sake of screaming.

There is no memorable riffs, there is no outstanding musicianship, there is no 'depth'.

It is just generic Black-Metal. *shrug*

Originally posted by Trapped
There is no memorable riffs, there is no outstanding musicianship, there is no 'depth'.

It is just generic Black-Metal. *shrug*

Insert 'complete amazement'.:OMG:

Now my amazement is moving into humour :lol: :lol:

Now anger :(

Now indifference... :rolleyes:

I know musical taste is entirely subjective, but what you've just said there is just plain wrong...

:lol:

Okay, even though i have heard the album MANY times over and over again... Give me one song to download that will blow my mind...?? I am willing to try them again if you think that what i said is 'wrong'.

Originally posted by godisanathiest
That doesn't make it crap :rolleyes: :p I can sing many riffs off it actually! :D Whereas anthems I hardly know.. I've only had it a few weeks, but don't listen to it that much anyway... don't know why...

Ahhh yes, but I was somewhat kidding when I used the term 'crap' :D. I'm just having a gentle tug on the legs of everyone who likes that album. I was dissapointed in it, that's all :(

Originally posted by requiem

So you'll have to dust of 'A Fine Day to Exit' and 'Prometheus'!! ;)

Save yourself a few months and do it now.

I think I need to wait for a quiet period in my listening. The Anathema album suffered, because I got the new Bolt Thrower and My Dying Bride albums at the same time, and they grabbed my attention straight off, so Anathema got a few occassional plays and I decided I didn't like it. Those 3 bands are in my top-5-of-all-time, so someone had to lose. Right now, I'm in my 3rd week of worship of the new Borknager, so I really need to wait until I'm done with that one :D

It's not all bad with Emperor though, I do really like the first track off Prometheus :cool:

Don't fuck with Emperor it makes requiem mad! :lol:
He may track you down and kill you!

Prometheus is a great work. The keyboards are eerie. The drums are primal. The guitars inflame the temperament. The vocals fit the image. I guess that means that I think it is good. Ihashn's play with words is well worth the trouble it took to print it out in a fancy little booklet too.

Sorry to hijack your thread Kush---, I am actually interested to see what comes up too.
How are things in sunny Ballarat these days? I haven't been back there for a while...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
My favourite two albums have to be prometheus and ITNE... I think they're both great :p

But Prometheus isn't very accesible, for whatever reason, it takes effort to get to like...

I noticed NO ONE mentioned IX EQUILIBRIUM. At the risk of incurring everyone's wrath {minus the tyrant}, I find it quite enjoyable and the most accessable.

The guy who said that "PROMETHEUS" sounded like 2 albums being played at once must be the same guy who reviewed an OPETH album the same way on amazon.com.

I like everything I've heard from EMPEROR even tho every album sounds different from the others. But then I'm not a "TRUE BLACK METAL" guy I guess. I just like to listen to more than one kind of music.

I was just going to mention IX Equilibrium until I got to the bottom and saw that. Anyways, I am new to Emperor, started off with Prometheus about a month ago. It did not take long for me to get hooked on this one. I think the best song is The Tongue of Fire, especially the first part where Ihsahn starts his clean vocals. While it is fairly complex, I do have to agree that it is not that technical. But that does not really matter to me. I just got IX Equilibrium the other day and it does not really compare with Prometheus, except for An Elegy of Icarus. Now I am wondering if Anthems and Nightside are much like the last 2.

Originally posted by DrX
Now I am wondering if Anthems and Nightside are much like the last 2.

They are noting alike. Anthems & Nightside are kinda like Prometheus, in terms of complexity, but compare those first 2 with the last one, they are basically a different band (which I think explains why Prom.. doesn't do it for me. It's just not Emperor, to my ears). The first 2 are ALOT more 'True Norwegian Black Metal tm', but both are masterpieces and some of the most important BM albums ever. Buy them now! :D

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I hate this town with a passion. I try to get out as much as I can, and I goto melbourne lots. More chicks, anime and metal there.

Trust me Kush, Melbourne isn't much better. Sure the chicks are great and all, but the traffic is hell. ;) My housemate, brightoffski is from Ballarat, so forgive him if he has romantic memories of the hole.

Originally posted by requiem

Trust me Kush, Melbourne isn't much better. Sure the chicks are great and all, but the traffic is hell. ;) My housemate, brightoffski is from Ballarat, so forgive him if he has romantic memories of the hole.

Melbourne is better. The traffic here is JUST AS ANNOYING. It's not busy, people just don't know how to drive, farmers in utes that don't use their blinkers, and %40 of this town is commission housing, with ultra poor class people who half of are actually mentally fucked up from being so shit.

It's either farmer rednecks who go around shooting my pets, or rednecks with their stupid modified cars, or COOL people with their oakly sunglasses and Power FM radio, or the stupid shit, retarded smelling poor comissioned pathetic asswiping poor people.

i worked in a supermarket, dealing with everyday people, and I found that about %30 of the population couldn't talk properly, like you know how they are, they are so screwed up from whatever they do, that they can't talk properly.

I'm sure melbourne has it's holes. But I haven't actually seen the poor areas, i've seen footscray and western suberbs, but they are no worse than wendouree west, or the delecomb ghettos here. And everybody here are white WASPs, no asians, no nothin.. just pure white trash.