What Opeth Means by "Watershed"

OpethAllenPoe

Apr 27, 2008
Why do you think Opeth decided to name the album Watershed? I think I'm over analyzing this but I think it could be because literally in a Watershed all the water flows down from above and collects in a shitty pool below lol? o_O

in my opinion, "Watershed" describes the direction well..this direction is really different than the other albums..e.g, i see Per's genius on this album...he's an amazing musician as Mikael said on Ghost Reveries documentary..
besides this album is not like Ghost Reveries,more psychedelic less progressive..+axe's drumming and akesson stuff..
here we face a new direction and this is a watershed in Opeth's music..
by the way,the only similarity to the other records is being an amazing record again! :headbang:

:erk:

sounds way more metal.

Yeah, but Akerfeldt said on the band's site that they didn't want take the name because it was already a band's name. He wanted it to be original. And to whoever said Opeth isn't metal, they are, but they are also a mixture of different things. Can't put Opeth in one genre.

Mike has said he has chosen album names in the past that sound cool or are tributes to other bands (MAYH, SL, BWP). Probably not too much meaning behind it.

Stop whining. There's only so many aspects of one band you can talk about. Would it make you feel better if we had stickies of all the redundant questions?

sorry for not licking your ballsack and telling you that it's not a concept album, for the 365850th fucking time it's been asked. it's been asked NUMEROUS other times in other watershed threads, maybe you should try using the search function before you come on and open yet another thread about the same redundant topic.

I hate new albums, if only because of the massive influx of noobs who don't bother to use the fucking search function, which is there for a reason btw, and expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.

shit thread, I request closing mr. samsara.

IS GHST REVERES CONCPET ALBM?!?!?

It's a vague concept album.

Anyway i think Repulsive is a much better name for this albulm!
Describes it perfectly.

I honetly don't know why everyone's drooling over this new albulm, GR was about 100% better and more talentedly written than Watershed...the only 2 decent songs this new albulm has are ripped off versions of two songs on GR, the rest are just wacky and about the most simplest, uncatchy thing Opeth have done so far.

Personally, i think this albulm is going mainstream, not GR, cuz it sounds sucky like all other mainstream bands, at least GR was incredibly written well and complex and actually had more than 5 vocal lines per song. And actually some songs that mixed things up. This new albulm is basically either a song is all growlng or all singing. Rarely does it mix things up or even get catchy or addicting, cept on Lotus Eater, which is i think still a rip off of The Baying Of The Hounds....

It's a vague concept album.

Anyway i think Repulsive is a much better name for this albulm!
Describes it perfectly.

I honetly don't know why everyone's drooling over this new albulm, GR was about 100% better and more talentedly written than Watershed...the only 2 decent songs this new albulm has are ripped off versions of two songs on GR, the rest are just wacky and about the most simplest, uncatchy thing Opeth have done so far.

Personally, i think this albulm is going mainstream, not GR, cuz it sounds sucky like all other mainstream bands, at least GR was incredibly written well and complex and actually had more than 5 vocal lines per song. And actually some songs that mixed things up. This new albulm is basically either a song is all growlng or all singing. Rarely does it mix things up or even get catchy or addicting, cept on Lotus Eater, which is i think still a rip off of The Baying Of The Hounds....

I don't really see how the Lotus Eater sounds anything like BOTH at all. Maybe I'm deaf though.

This album going mainstream? How, because it has more clean vocals and less growls?

These songs are a lot more "talentedly" written than any of the songs on Ghost Reveries and I'm sure Mikael will confirm this as, well, he wrote it and he plays it. These songs are a lot more technical than pretty much anything on Ghost Reveries...maybe you don't play an instrument and thus don't have an ear for these things, but there's a lot of weird chords on here (from what I can tell at least...someone like Wankerness or antixpun13 will better be able to tell how the chord shapes are) and other such displays of technicality.

Heir Apparently single-handledly rapes anything on GR imoafaict

You know, as much as I love Opeth, I actually agree with Taotrac.

This album is quite underwhelming, but either way I'm getting it to my fucking awesome collection of cds.

Still, Heir Apparent and Hessian Peel fucking crap over a lot of things. Namely anything like this:

Last edited by a moderator: