What Opeth Means by "Watershed"

I've always thought "Deliverance" was rushed as well ,but for some odd reason I always go back to it. It's kind of the odd ball cd of Opeth. "Wreath" and "A Fair Judgement" are defintly over looked alot. I would have liked to see how the cd would have turned out if they had more time to work on it. (Considering they was doing Damnation at the same time). I used to consider it my least favorite ,but I think it might have went up a few spots since then.

yeah, understandable, to me, its just as hard to choose a favorite, as it is too choose a least favorite

I remember reading somehwhere that Mikael said the one thing he hates about "music downloading" is when fans download leaked albums. Shame on you people!!

I think Watershed refers to the water being shed as in "tears", "crying"... the emotion of the ballads coil and burden reflect that, but not so much in the other songs, except in glimpses...

I have to say, after the first listen I hated it, was pissed at Opeth for the worst album they ever released. Now, I can't get enough, there are are plenty of brilliant riffs and harmonies that I can see this album being one of their best ever. I won't really know until I get past 100 play counts (where GR lost its appeal) but so far it gets better with every listen.

Mikael is fucking brilliant. I have to say that this album wasn't what I was expecting, but after a couple plays through it there is some definite depth and progressiveness that I am really starting to like...

Yeah same here. I remember the first time listening to Heir Apparent I was like what the fuck? About an hour later i went to bed and I some of the riffs were going through my head so I listened to it again and I liked it better the second time around. Next day listening to it in the shower solidified its excellence.

I think that it's a good thing that listening to a new Opeth cd for the first time isn't as good as you were expecting. But after a few listens you love it...which for me was always the case, each cd is the same in that respect I think. Opeth has done it again! :headbang:

Yeah same here. I remember the first time listening to Heir Apparent I was like what the fuck? About an hour later i went to bed and I some of the riffs were going through my head so I listened to it again and I liked it better the second time around. Next day listening to it in the shower solidified its excellence.

I think that it's a good thing that listening to a new Opeth cd for the first time isn't as good as you were expecting. But after a few listens you love it...which for me was always the case, each cd is the same in that respect I think. Opeth has done it again! :headbang:
Shame on you!!!!!!

Yeah I remember when I first heard The Lotus Eater. When the humming started I knew I was in for something different. By the time the song ended I was like "wtf..." More listens later and the next day I was constantly humming the song. Excellent track.

HAHAHA are you fucking serious? Yeah lets see The Lotus Eater start being played next to Pearl Jam you moron.

No, I'm not being serious. Funny you should call me a moron though. Even though I did not say "I am being sarcastic" in my post, I thought that sentiment would be evident by saying it will drown with all the other 7-13 minute songs on FM radio.

In case you missed the memo, there aren't any songs that long in mainstream music. Funny you caught half judging from your Pearl Jam quip but then totally missed the point. You might gather from reading the quote to which I was responding that I found the idea that this album was "moving toward the mainstream" to be ridiculous, hence the sarcastic remark I left.

Oh well. Way to wield the ad hominem attacks. There is no small bit of irony between your screen name and the grasp of writing you have thus far exhibited, by the way.

In case you missed the memo, there aren't any songs that long in mainstream music.

Not exactly true. My local rock station 105.7 The X will occasionally play Stairway to Heaven 8:01, Fade To Black 6:59, and some others that escape me at the moment.

Every Opeth album has been different from the last, to the point where I can tell what album a song is from, just from listening to a few bars. I never expected this to be another Still Life (probably my favourite album, but my favourite switches between SL, BWP, Deliverance and MAYH all the time), it's Opeth for fuck's sake, they're constantly changing. Someone mentioned Lopez being brought in, that would have had an impact on their sound. Having Steven Wilson as producer would have certainly influenced them as well, and now we have a new drummer, a new guitarist, and a keyboardist who's still adjusting to the band, how could this album NOT be completely different to the rest of their discography?