What Opeth song gives you chills?

Damn, there are so many...notable ones I can think of right now:

- the beginning of the Moor, Mikael's first scream/growl does it every time
- last ~2 minutes or so of Karma, just excellent, brutal metal goodness.
- the instrumental section of A Fair Judgement, especially the solos...best solos in any Opeth song IMO
- last section of Deliverance...

I could go on and on, but I won't.

That part of Night and the Silent Water where the acoustics fade in and then the drumming fades in and then it starts that heavy riff along with the whispering vocals.....awesome

Serenity Painted Death!! Great drum fill to boot, and immediately the afflicted guitars come in ready to kick your ass with the climax of the Still Life story. Next comes a very rocking riff and it sounds like mikael says 'The Rimjob reflected in shafts' even though I know it's "Melinda reflected..." :p (1:22), Then comes my favorite riff with kickass use pinch harmonics and palm muting.. "WHITE FACED, HAGGARD GRIN, THIS SERENITY PAINTED DEATH..." done first with mikael's great growls and repeated with more of a rasp which is raw and highly enjoyable. This whole part gives me chills!!! (2:05) bouncy riff leading into solo-type thing(2:44), solo-type thing (3:10) and again at 4:00, very pleasing, jazzy, laidback interlude (4:18), "YAHHH" "DARKNESS" (5:24), "EACH AND EVERY ONE WOULD DIE AT MY HAND" (5:50), Solo (6:12) with the chill-inducing bit at 6:18-6:24, "From the bowels of Si-i-i-i-i-in" and back into the "WHITE FACED, HAGGARD GRIN..." chorus (7:38). Totally BADASS song. Serenity Painted Death is on the top of my Opeth list. \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

there there is The Amen Corner
after the first riff and leading into the second I get goosebumps. every time. its all about that dragging drum fill and the growl. mother fucker!!!! RAWWWWWWWWWWRRRRR. then "WHITE SUMMERRRR"(1:55), Same electric turn acoustic technique as on April Ethereal "Eerie circles upon the waters.." "YAHHH!!!" (6:30-7:00)

synergy said:
That part of Night and the Silent Water where the acoustics fade in and then the drumming fades in and then it starts that heavy riff along with the whispering vocals.....awesome

FUCK YEAH! that parts one of my favourites.

Blackwater Park, all of it, and especially the end (8:00-12:08)
The end of Moonlapse Vertigo from..."I turned away my eyes" to the end of the song.
The start of The Leper Affinity.

And its not an Opeth song, but it has Mikael on it...Brave by Katatonia.

end of april ethereal, intro and outro to demon of the fall, many parts in bleak, intro to moonlapse vertigo, etc, etc.......

Zephyrus said:

LMAO! Awesome Seinfeld reference. For me, it's the segue from fast to slow with the harmonized nonlyrical vocals 'round 0:56 of Karma. Martin Lopez's beat gives it a glove-like fit for the transition.

The Twilight is My Robe, when it breaks down into that acoustic passage at 3:35 gives me chills up the ying yang. And everytime i hear Windowpane off "Lamentations" it calms me down no matter what mood i'm in.

"White summaaaaarghghhhghghghghg!!!!!" in the Amen Corner. The wicked transition in BoTH. The drum beat under the monotonous riff building in The Night And The Silent Water. A ton more that I can't think off.