What other GMDers influenced your music taste the most?

Omni

User
Apr 1, 2008
For me, it was obviously Dodens Grav and @Slayed Necros who helped me find the most metal that I liked after I came here. When I started posting here, I had been listening to a lot of well-known traditional metal bands, a few doom metal bands, Slayer and a bunch of black metal, but I learned about a lot of great artists here.

What about you?

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Pretty much everyone, in varying degrees, influenced my taste in both negative and positive ways. Anyone who actually posts in the music section that is. (So not Dak?)

[EDIT] Oh you said most. Umm TechBarb probably initially. HBB. Also KafkaX helped with stoner doom. One older member Phlegethon Veins or something introduced me to Vektor.

These dudes helped a lot when I first joined, then I found a lot of stuff on my own.

Still here. ;)

Definitely Falconsbane and Demiurge for me. Both endless sources of ultra cult black and death metal back in the day. Talked about shit like Demilich and Massacra before they were household names. @Omni and Dodens gave me the push I needed to give classic trad metal a chance, and I always took heed of @no country for old wainds' recs.

this is going to get a little weird and sappy, but here it goes. I started posting here 10 years ago (I was 14) and my favorite bands at the time were probably something like Metallica and black sabbath or some shit. This forum immediately began to shape my entire taste in music, which gave way to the culture I chose to participate in as a youth, the attitudes and viewpoints I developed, and therefore my personality and life today. Looking back on it, i'm not even kidding. I discovered a seemingly endless amount of music, beginning here. I would have not been introduced to it otherwise, and I immersed myself in it. Music was my first introduction to "counter" culture at that age. The black metal, death metal, punk, grind, noise, drone, and doom I mostly discovered here not only taught me how to appreciate the artistry of music but also introduced me to a whole culture of people in my life, not necessarily metalheads but just different people doing different shit. I ran with that, and first developed into a superior asshole with an incredible drug problem, then eventually, after sobering up a couple years ago, into the person I am today (a decent one I think). My morals and values, the things I do, the music I enjoy today (not all metal) have all been shaped by a culture I grew up in, one that I discovered through music, and I discovered that music here.

Sorry for the essay, but yeah. Legit. So thanks guys, if any of you old school UM cats are around.

@Omni and Dodens gave me the push I needed to give classic trad metal a chance

I was super excited that you were listening to that stuff when I came back. I knew that you would come around eventually.

I'm also glad that you've started listening to a lot of music outside of metal.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Schmidty, Zeph, No Country have inadvertently introduced me to the most bands of anyone here, excepting myself. Most of what I listen to atm I discovered on my own.

Reactions: Master_Yoda77
No one here influenced my music taste. I still can't stand most of the b-grade cheese and black metal toilet recordings you guys circle jerk over. I have been recommended a bunch of good shit here though. Metal and non, music and not.

@Baroque I used to post a lot on the music side. Just don't have time to keep up with it anymore. I browse the "Metal 20xx" and thrash or death threads but that's it.

I can't say any one person influenced my music taste here. The kicking my ass thread probably did the most though thread wise.

Reactions: Baroque
Nobody unfortunately. I've discovered a few new bands but they were all within the realm of shit I already like anyways.

I sometimes lurk the "Metal (current year)" thread for interesting album covers/ vid stills and check them out.

@Omni, @Slayed Necros, @no country for old wainds, @CASSETTEISGOD are the ones probably impacting most on the new stuff I'm listening to. I generally make a point of checking out what they post (if I haven't heard it before) as we seem to like a lot of similar stuff.

Also the Themed Mixtape Game(s)! These are great at exposing you to new stuff and even listening to stuff you thought you might not like. @Carpe Mortem did a great job making that thread.

Last edited: