What other music do you like?

smågoth

Mar 23, 2003
Oslo
This one goes out to both ND fans and band members. What other music than Novembers Doom do you like. (and for the band, what were your inspirations etc.?)

Alongside ND, I like:

Septic Flesh(great hellenic/atmospheric metal), Atrox(peculiar norwegian gothmetal band(stay away from Terrestrials(that one where over the top)), Sculptured (particulary the first album), Rotting C, Opeth, Moonspell, Arcturus, Lux Occulta(perticulary the two latest albums) Jimi Hendrix, My dying bride, Hollenthon. Thats about it.

Nile, behemoth, Vehemence, vital remains, lamb of god, emperor, testament, destruction, suffocation, immolation, ram-zet, old in flames, my dying bride, opeth, agalloch, orphaned land, symphony x, disillusion, edge of sanity, bloodbath, anything involving Dan Swano, into eternity, novembers doom, candlemass, nightwish, mastodon, my dying bride, solitude aeturnus, amon amarth, theory in practice, immortal, susperia, dark tranquillity, ensiferum, diabolical masquerade, misery index, and probably a lot more that i am forgetting

Stuff I like? not in any order: Power/Prog/Thrash/Doom/Traditional/Classic Rock/Hard Rock, and a few choice Black and Death Metal tracks. Fav bands include Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Anthrax, Overkill, Pink Floyd, Usurper, Dream Theater, Into Eternity, Amorphis, Nightwish, theGathering, and a whole hell of a lot more

The actual list of bands and artists that I like would be much too extensive to list fully, to be honest. I like just about every kind of music there is out there, to some extent.
As for bands or musicians that have had a direct influence on what we play, speaking for myself, I find alot of influence and inspiration coming from stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin (especially albums like "Led Zeppelin III", I feel they always shined when focusing on more acoustic material), Pyogenesis (albums like "Twinaleblood" really showed me that you could meld doom-death metal heaviness with pop and straightforward rock sensibilities and melodies), Amorphis (especially Tuonela and Am Universum), Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Winter, Celtic Frost (Into the Pandemonium especially....in fact, if you listen to a song like "Last God", that song is basically Celtic Frost and Winter meshed together, with the ND touch added!), Voivod, Entombed, and even local bands that I grew up with like Contagion and Maimed had a great affect on my playing and the style I developed.

As for the stuff I just like and enjoy in general, I really like: KISS, Cheap Trick, Carcass, H.I.M, The 69 Eyes, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Katatonia, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, T. Rex, Captain Beyond, Norah Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Roy Orbison, Radiohead, Coldplay, Death, The Doors, Gorefest, Atrocity, Secret Discovery, In Flames, Darkseed, Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Motorhead, Backyard Babies, Hanoi Rocks, Motley Crue, Ratt, Megadeth, Anathema (Alternative 4 and newer), Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Journey, King Crimson, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Raven, Exciter, Possessed, Sodom, Mekong Delta, Holy Terror, Fastway, W.A.S.P (first album particularly), A Perfect Circle, Shadows Fall, Soil, Sindrome, USURPER (new album is fucking great), Pantera, Damage Plan, Wickerman, Sleep, Crowbar, America, Guess Who, Mary My Hope, Acid Bath, Agents Of Oblivion (incredible!!), Edge Of Sanity, Sentenced, Journey, Boston, Duran Duran, Abba, Adam Ant, Disharmonic Orchestra, Watchtower...........man this could go on forever, but I really do love all of the aforementioned artists, and there's many more.

I think you're going to find that the other guys in the band also have a pretty eclectic mix of tastes as well, which explains alot about us, I believe!

Type O Negative, Moonspell, Paradise Lost, Sentenced (I will miss them dearly :cry:...), HIM, My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth, Amon Amarth, Immortal, Bathory, Novembers Doom, Finntroll, Carnivore, Death, old Dimmu Borgir, old Cradle of Filth, Diabolic, Krisiun, Life of Agony, Emporer, Mayhem, Burzum, Fear Factory, Crematory, Isengard, Finntroll, Tiamat, Cemetary, Graveworm, Akercocke, Opeth, Gorgoroth, Children of Bodom, Marduk, Virgin Black, Katatonia, 1349, the Independents, Shape of Despair, Samuel, Edge of Sanity, Old Man's Child, Abruptum, old Dying Fetus, Carcass, At the Gates, Celtic Frost, Obituary, Storm, Darkthrone, Rammstein, Korpiklaani, Morgion, Vader, Agathodaimon, Einherjer, Children of Bodom, Unleashed, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Magog, Ragnarok, Ancient, Draconian, Fireball Ministry, Enslaved, Anathema, X-Japan, Malice Mizer, Endorphine, Alice in Chains, etc.

Yes, I heard too about Sentenced's plans to split up!! I'm very bummed out about that, they are one of the few bands who I regularly will run out and purchase their new cds when they first come out. I'm glad I got to see them live at least.

I like so many bands...I'm just going to mention 13.

Radiohead.
Opeth.
Agalloch.
Katatonia.
In The Woods
Green Carnation.
Novembre.
Mercenary.
Evergrey.
Anathema.
Woods of Ypres.
Mar De Grises.
Swallow The Sun.

I also like Muse, David Bowie, Jeff Buckley.

Loads more

I'm real into progressive power metal bands like Symphony X, Shadowkeep, Kenziner, Evergrey. I'm into industrial/industrial metal bands as well, Rammstein, Hanzel Und Gretyl, NIN, Stabbing Westward, Fear Factory, Skinny Puppy, Assmblage 23. Into Eternity fucking owns, Dream Theater, Andromeda, Eidolon, Pyramaze. I also like jazz, a new school jazz artist I like is Joyce Cooling, old school jazz would have to be Billy Holiday, Frank Sinatra is incredible too. I like some techno, but its gotta be the dark heavy shit, not that happy "look im doing the rave ball throw, catch it!" I also like some of the newer hard rock/metal bands like Godsmack, Chevelle, Creed. Immortal, Dissection, Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borgir are my fave black metal bands.

I'm all over the place with my tastes in music. My favorites are Opeth, Metallica, The Tea Party, Orphaned Land, and David Bowie. I also like Bloodbath, Amon Amarth, Mayhem, Finntroll, Bathory, Burzum, Katatonia, The Doors, Moonspell, Nevermore, Type O Negative, Cradle of Filth, Immortal, Death, Gorgoroth, KISS, Darkthrone, Rotting Christ, No Doubt, Fantomas, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Bush, The Real MacKenzies, Flogging Molly, The Rogues, The Corsairs (local), Steve McDonald, Shakira, Barry Manilow, Black Sabbath, The Grass Roots, T Rex, Alice Cooper, Danzig, Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Rob/White Zombie, Satyricon, VnV Nation, and Solitude Aeturnus.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
You and I have alot of similar tastes actually, Samantha. That's pretty cool! Velvet Goldmine fans unite haha

hahaha funny you mention that, I was just listening to some Shudder To Think from the soundtrack. Best soundtrack ever. I was watching Vanity Fair yesterday and kept thinking "brian slade brian slade brian slade", I can't see that guy in anything else.

Good taste, us.

"Dark Metal": ;)
Anathema (old and new,tho i dont like the albums released after Judgement as much)
Saturnus
Opeth
Swallow The Sun
Draconian
Necare
Mourning Beloveth
Slumber

Death Metal:
Corporation 187
The Haunted
Within Y
Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
Cipher System
Soilwork
Mnemic
Impious
All That Remains
etc.

Thats my favorites at the moment.
I also have my periods when i listen to alot of Trance. o_O
Here is my scrobblersite that logs all the mp3s im listening to:
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Qth/

Root, Agalloch, Swans, Dresden Dolls, Isaac Hayes, Johnny Cash, Strapping Young Lad, Nick Cave, Willie Nelson, Bathory, Candlemass, Burzum, Hedwig & the Angry Inch, Danny Elfman film scores...

BalanceofPower said:
I'm real into progressive power metal bands Frank Sinatra is incredible too.

Do you like Dragonforce? The vocals can be annoying at times, but its like having 2 Yngwies on lead guitar, with a drummer that absolutely smokes most death-grind drummers, all the while sounding like Iron Maiden playing on crystal meth. Godly, in my opinion.

The best Sinatra to have is 'The Capitol Collection... The Very Good Years'

Okay, here's me...

The doom -
Novembers Doom (duh) My Dying Bride, The Prophecy, Katatonia, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Draconian, Slumber, My Shameful, Rapture, October Tide, Forest of Shadows, Candlemass, Skepticism, Evoken, Mourning Beloveth, Lacrimas Profundere, I could go on and on here but I wont

The Metal -
Nifelheim, Autopsy, Iron Maiden, Bolt Thrower, Exodus, Motorhead, Carnage, At The Gates, Dark Throne, Impaled Nazarene, Carpathian Forest, Death, Pestilence, Asphyx, Sadistik Exekution, Accept, AC/DC, Slayer, Dragonforce, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Trouble, Entombed. Again, I have to stop before my head explodes

Non metal, and some shit Im ashamed of -
Sarah McLachlan, The Cure, Mad Season, Public Enemy, Kitaro, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Eminem, Alice In Chains, The Black Dahlia Murder (why these guys are labeled 'emocore' is beyond me, theyre more AT The Gates than ATG!!!! Swedish thrash, Detroit style) And for the third time, I give up on trying to remember anything else.

Nevermore, The Gathering, The Cranberries, Poe, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Interpol, The Mars Volta, Opeth, Katatonia, Amorphis (newer stuff), Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Sigur Ros, Queensryche, Porcupine Tree, Incubus, My Dying Bride, In Flames, Moonspell, Tiamat........

...oh, also Novembers Doom. I think that's kind of implied though.

Agalloch
Opeth
Tool
Kyuss
Zyklon
Emperor
Ulver
Meshuggah
Katatonia
Soundgarden
Death
Alice In Chains
Mastodon
My Dying Bride
Burzum
Dark Tranquilitity
Napalm Death
Vehemence
Limbonic Art
Bloodbath
Mudvayne
Cryptopsy
Black Sabbath
King Crimson
Woods of Ypres
Dissection
Immortal
Suffocation
Diabolical Masquerade

I've got a lot more, just can't be bothered listing them.

Usurper Dan said:
Do you like Dragonforce? The vocals can be annoying at times, but its like having 2 Yngwies on lead guitar, with a drummer that absolutely smokes most death-grind drummers, all the while sounding like Iron Maiden playing on crystal meth. Godly, in my opinion.

The best Sinatra to have is 'The Capitol Collection... The Very Good Years'

Yeah I have Valley of the Damned, I think it's called. Mark at metal haven told me it was real good. And he was right. Yeah Sinatra is great, I grew up listening to that stuff since I live in a "fresh off the boat" Italian household. I think my uncle's friend was one of Sinatra's bodyguards actually.

Here's my favorites, all mixed together. Even the ones i'm ashamed to admit too...

Coldplay, Moonspell, Anathema, Chevelle, Katatonia, Bloodbath, Edge of Sanity, My Dying Bride, Grave, Entombed, Trouble, Queens of the Stoneage, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dan Swano's MANY projects, Testament, Slayer, Metallica, Ribspreader, Peter Gabriel, The Doors, Phil Collins, Remy Shand, Alice in Chains, Saturnus, Nevermore, Pink Floyd, Sindrome, Devin Townsend, Samael, Lacuna Coil, Amorphis, John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Boltthrower, The Tea Party, Paradise Lost, Carcass, Celtic Frost, Obituary, Fireball Ministry, Skillet, Loudmouth, Monster Magnet, Auf Der Maur, Orphaned Land, In Flames, Usurper, A Perfect Circle, Tool... The list can go on...