What should i get next?

Pharos

New Metal Member
Mar 7, 2005
Preston.UK
Ok..first off i`m very new to Katatonia (Black Metal is my thing) and i was introduced to their material by someone on a BM forum.So,i bought "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and yeah...it`s an excellent record...so i wondered what you lot....Katatonia experts...would recommend i get next.

Oh by the way new Drudkh album out now on Supernal....atmospheric BM from the Ukraine...a must have album.

My personal recommendation is Tonight's Decision. However, if you're into black metal, you'd probably really like Dance of December Souls (which was basically doom-black), or Brave Murder Day (more doom-death). Really, you'd like anything by them, since you like LFDGD and black metal. You can't go wrong.

In addition to Katatonia, you really ought to check out Diabolical Masquerade, Blakkheim's (Anders Nyström) old ambient-horror-black metal side project, which Dan Swanö also guested in. Any of DM's four albums (Ravendusk in My Heart, The Phantom Lodge, Nightwork and Death's Design) is great, Nightwork possibly being the best.

Anyway, welcome to the Katatonia board, and welcome to Katatonia, and... WELCOME TO DYING!!! (sorry, Blind Guardian fanboy-ness coming out)

Actually, I'll just pretty much ditto Mantraschism there. And say check out October Tide sometime. Katatonia was my bridge to metal, nice to see someone coming from the other side of the spectrum liking them.

I will agree with Mantrachism as well........I was pretty my a norse blackmetal fan when I first heard Katatonia.....and the alblum that hooked me in was Brave Murder day.....TONS of emotion on that one(as always) but it also had the feel of serious metal to me.....so it was perfect for me at the time.......but if you liked Last fair Deal Gone Down then I think your chances are good that you will like everything they have done.....

Reece
+welcome.....

Opeth :D

Woods Of Ypres :D

Swallow The Sun :D

Before The Dawn :D

Novembre :D

Agalloch :D

Dark Suns :D

Rapture :D

Blazing Eternity :D

It's a hard question to answer, you originally said you are a fan of black metal in which case I would recommend Brave murder day or dance of december souls. You then said you bought LFDGD and liked it, in which case i would recommend Discouraged ones, viva emptiness or tonights decision

I would just get brave murder day though, you should really enjoy that one, it has mike from opeth on vox

Pharos said:
Oh by the way new Drudkh album out now on Supernal....atmospheric BM from the Ukraine...a must have album.

I'm listening to this amazing release as I type, seems drudkh is venturing more and more into old school katatonic territory, I would highly recommend this release.

but If you like LFDGD you should get Viva Emptiness, Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones fo sho! ;]

Yeah, it's true. Katatonia fans get obsessive. Take Deliverance6 for example.... =]

I agree with the suggestion to check out October Tide (although I haven't heard Rain Without End). However, I really think you'd like Diabolical Masquerade better.

Now, if you're not adverse to buying EPs, then buy For Funerals To Come.... This is an awesome EP, released between Dance... and Brave... and it is the last of the 'doom-black' releases. It's a must have.