what type of metal do you listen to?

Although I listen to every metal sub-genre, my favourite would have to be thrash. For a reason, simply listen to Testament - "Into the Pit" or Sepultura - "Desperate Cry". That should explain everything.

Trash: I just love the riffage
Death: For the aggressitivity and speed
Power ( sometimes ): some power metal bands are really fast, don't sound too happy and can put great solos.
Prog: the technical side of it.
I also like some black metal bands but I can'T really say why I like them yet ( hehe that sounds stupid I know )
Fucked up metal ( like strapping yound lad's "city" ): The " I don't give a fuck " attitude is pretty funny and the music is just insane.

The first thing I listen in a band is the guitar playing. So, if it's good there are good chances that I will like the band.

thefuzmixman said:
lol. little more explanation please.

Prog - the sheer technicality/ability of the players involved, odd time signatures, refreshing leads/solos(from both guitar and keyboard), and often great vocals
Death - the riffage, the vocals, and often great drumwork and in a lot of cases the lyrics are well written
Melo-death - an ample use of melody(guitars or keyboards only is preferred), that isnt afraid to be catchy
Doom - Slow, foreboding sense that provides tremendous atmosphere for the listener

Classic, Thrash, Gothic,some Black and some Death as well... is My Dying Bride considered Doom? if so then Doom as well... or whatever there classified under...

Tech Death & Metalcore

I'm a sucker for all those chunky breakdowns. Where's Nick...he know what I'm talkin about :)

melodic death metal, metalcore, some power metal, some traditional metal (like maiden and sabbath), some technical hardcore, and some thrash. don't worry funeral portrait, i like those chunky breakdowns too. :)

I am also into all genres of metal also but not nu-metal. Grindcore, goregrind, deathgrind, cybergrind, techno metal, technical hardcore, industrial metal, death metal, thrash metal, and mathematical metal are metal subgenres I lean toward the most.

\m/\m/ :kickass:

what pray tell is "mathmatical metal" ?

I personally like hard/metalcore, some grind and good thrash is nice. yea i like numetal. i play it. sometimes i feel like im in a timewarp. i like the old numetal stuff.
doom metal interests me, but i wouldnt say that im too deeply into it yet.

Obsolete666 said:
melodic death metal, metalcore, some power metal, some traditional metal (like maiden and sabbath), some technical hardcore, and some thrash. don't worry funeral portrait, i like those chunky breakdowns too. :)

chunky breakdowns are the best. i love that shit. :worship:

Black metal - For the atmospheres and what particular bands/albums do for me subjectively. This coupled with epic qualities, ugliness and my love for ambience.

Death metal - I mainly listen to old-school death metal. Mainly for the riffs, raw aggression and thrash influences and/or melody.

Thrash - Same reason everyone else listens to it - the fucking riffage.

thefuzmixman said:
what pray tell is "mathmatical metal" ?QUOTE]

Mathematical metal is a complex form of metal that features odd riff cycles, calculated songrwriting, and abrasive vocals. Meshuggah is the only mathematical metal band that I know. They kick ass and I give them a lot of credit for their brilliant work :headbang: :worship:

Funeral Portrait said:
Tech Death & Metalcore

I'm a sucker for all those chunky breakdowns. Where's Nick...he know what I'm talkin about :)
Hell yeah!

In addition, I like everything. Serously. Black metal, death metal, melodic death, symphonic black, power, power-death, traditional, doom, doom-death, speed, thrash(\m/), industrial(\m/), progressive, experimental, 80's pop metal, funk metal, rap metal, metalcore, techno metal, alternative-metal, and, of course, the wonderful polka metal of Finntroll.

I listen to a shitload of death metal, black metal, I love some power metal bands but hate those that suck at the genre, I have recently (within the past 5 months or so) been getting further into doom and its subgenres (funeral, stoner, sludge)...I like progressive, but not Dream Theater, for some reason. I've been getting more into thrash recently...I love grind and goregrind to death...um...folk rocks. I like everything, definitely.

thefuzmixman said:
what pray tell is "mathmatical metal" ?

Non-existent.