What was the first Angel Dust song you heard?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
"Black Rain"... and I hated it! Still think it's a crappy song, actually...

Then months later I heard "Enjoy!" and fell in love with this band!

"Border Of Reality", in '98 or '97, before the record was published, when they had no deal, I heard it on some kinda promo-CD ... (Unerhört Vol.I by RockHard)

But I "only" considered it very good, but I was totally stun by "Addicted To Serenity" !!! That riff, and the "slight" keyboard within the chorus .. :headbang:

Originally posted by Cornholio
"Border Of Reality", in '98 or '97, before the record was published, when they had no deal, I heard it on some kinda promo-CD ... (Unerhört Vol.I by RockHard)
Same here. But I didn't listen very carefully to the disc.......so I got into AD a tiny little bit later when I got hold of a promotional cassette which carried BOR and Nightmare. :headbang:
I think I already told the story elsewhere on the board...hope you're not getting tired of reading it ;)

The first AD song I heard was 'Bleed'. A friend of mine loaned me the CD and said I had to check it out. That song pretty much got me hooked.

Lasy year when AD was touring the US, I got to see the song played live, and it really brought the house down. It was kind of weird, because while I know there are AD fans in the US, and there were AD fans in the audience, I really didn't expect the HUGE response they got at the end of that song. The final, screamed "Bleed" caused quite a large audeince reaction. At the close of their set, you could see a large chunk of the audience head to the merchandise table to pick up CDs!

"Bleed" was the first song I heard from these guys back in 99', and I was converted instantly!

I can't possibly pick any one song as a favorite....I love playing the albums begining to end without interuption.

:headbang: :headbang::headbang:

Their performance at last years ProgPower festival sold me on that as well....the energy was intense!!!

All of them were really great guys to hang with, I really hope they get things worked out......

I believe it was Still I'm Bleeding. I wasn't sure what to think of it the first time, but it immediately caught my attention and I became interested in the band. Then I heard Same Eyes, and it convinced me.

When we found out Angel Dust were going to use our rehearsal studio at my house in preparation for the tour kick-off show in Denver last year, I figured I'd better get acquainted. I definitely knew of them through John of Jag Panzer, but had never heard them. So I went and picked up "Enlighten the Darkness" perhaps a week before they flew in. I spinned it heavily and was instantly impressed by the opening track "Let Me Live" the first time I heard it. Nick had heard "Enjoy" on a CM sampler and assured me they were good by that song alone. So anyway, I was hooked!

It felt like a dream to be upstairs in my house and hear the studio rumbling with German metal brilliance as they practiced. I remember calling my best friend and saying something to the effect of, "Dude! Listen to this...THEY'RE AT MY HOUSE!!!", as I held the phone in that direction so he could hear the roar.

Later as I got the band to sign my CD it was very cool to have Banx describe to me the significance of each song lyric and the photo it was superimposed over in booklet. Apparently they all go together in the story of the album. Neat inside info.

Their show the next night was great. I was unsure how they'd go over, as Denver fans can be pretty fickle (and that billing was very diverse with a very heavy Opeth fan presence that night), but they did great and got a great response. Dirk really, really worked the crowd and you could tell the guys were really enjoying themselves.

Originally posted by Starbreaker
It felt like a dream to be upstairs in my house and hear the studio rumbling with German metal brilliance as they practiced. I remember calling my best friend and saying something to the effect of, "Dude! Listen to this...THEY'RE AT MY HOUSE!!!", as I held the phone in that direction so he could hear the roar.

Hehe....I especially like that part of your post. Nice story :)

Btw....did you already tell us how the Silencer gig at Milwaukee went? Can't remember at this very moment ( :rolleyes: ), think I should take a look at the MMF thread....

I'm not sure if I did reply how it went. Anyway, we were very fired up to play. Our time slot was fairly early. The promoter spaced out our set and Angel Dust's set as to give Ritchie and Nick a break who were supposed to play later in the night. But, since AD didn't play we in effect went on unnecessarily early. Regardless, we had tons of energy and played well. We found out the day of the festival that all the non-headliner only had 20 minute sets (as opposed to 25 as stated in the contract), as their stage configuration allowed only two bands to playing at once compared to four. To fit all the bands they had to shorten the sets. Not many bands were very happy about that, especially the pay-to-play bands like us. But...the bright side is that you are only playing opposite one other act, so there's not as much competition for audience, and two, you can really thrash on stage and go all-out, and not worry about getting tired!

So, we did four songs and headbanged like nuts. My neck was killing me the next day. But for going on rigth before 5:00PM, we still had a respectable crowd, and they were receptive. So it was fun. We were one of very, very few bands with our style the whole weekend, so we'd like to think we filled a niche there. Good times even though the organization was poor this year.