What was the last GREAT "metal" band you discovered?

The most recent discovery that would sit comfortably in Jay's strict criteria would be Agalloch, ones in the past year or two that may enter if they keep up their present quality include Orphaned Land, Into Eternity, and (anticipating the threadjack) Hammers Of Misfortune...

Goat Horn's "Storming the Gates" completely wowed the fuck out of me too, even though it's very traditional... pretty much to the extent that JayKeeley will take any chance to talk about HoM.. i'll do the same for that cd :)

Edit: check 'em out if you havent:
http://www.goathorn.com

You have no excuse not to!

If we're talking about five all-time favorite bands, than Symphony X would be the last band to crack the Holy 5. If we're talking about my five favorite current bands, than we have a few bands that are on the periphery. Most notable would be Evergrey, Zero Hour, Amon Amarth and Enslaved.

As for the whole Firefox vs. Internet Explorer debate, I use Firefox. Part of my job is keeping the Windows servers I support patched against newly discovered security vulnerabilities. In my opinion, Internet Explorer has got to be the most vulnerable, unsecure peice of code ever written. Forget the fact that Firefox is in fact faster (many unbiased tests have shown this to be true), it is significantly more secure. Security, whether it be on my home or work PCs, is by a wide margin, the overriding factor.

Zod

Edit: Microsoft just released MS04-040 yesterday, a critical patch that effects all computers that run IE. This patch addresses a vulnerability that allows for remote code execution. Translation: run IE and someone can take over your PC if you happen upon the wrong web site. I can't even count how many remote code execution patches MS has released for IE this year alone.

JayKeeley said:
But I already said Skyclad you dirty vunt. :tickled:
Vunt! :D

Nothing can ever displace my Top 5 (1. Iron Maiden 2. Judas Priest 3. ManOwaR 4 & 5 insert Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rainbow or Whitesnake as and when I see fit). Over the last year I have had a hard time getting new bands to stick...

...but today, whilst at work, I believe I managed to get myself into Satan big time :D Court In The Act is SO FUCKING COOL! It's practically a perfect raw Heavy Metal album! Pity I was at work else the head would've been flicking back and forth continuosly.
I finally managed to get some Falkenbach recently as well, and it instantly struck a chord. I downloaded ...When Gjallarhorn Will Sound... to put on a compilation for a friend and since then I've played it constantly. I will not play the LP again until I get my new record player, though.