What you like in Opeth's music..

MetalAges said:
I'm scared! :) What's shakin pos!
hey deron! how's it goin? me? well, work sucks. weekends rock! you know, the usual. looking forward to some serious holiday time towards the end of the year. it's nice to be back here as always though (well, with a few obvious exceptions that is ) and yes, you're afaird.... very afraid! i'm about as scary as a puppy, though i'm sure others would beg to differ.

yea, i didn't mean to trample all over bri, i think it's better to look at it in terms of "movements"...somebody mentioned that in another thread...but generally speaking some of the riffs seem a little out of place, just kinda sewn together artificially if that makes sense

cthulufhtagn said:
yea, i didn't mean to trample all over bri, i think it's better to look at it in terms of "movements
exactly! i actually hated (yes hated) bri for like the longest time, in fact it's about the only opeth song i've ever disliked that much with the possible exception of spd, and i mainly hated it cos i kept listening to it and saying "that's not a song! there's no point in trying to prove you can do epic opus' if there is no cohesion" but then one day i was just kinda listening to the song in the background while not really concentrating on it (this is what catches most people up, trying to consciously pull it apart) and then it just 'clicked'. yes the song is essentially still in movements, but they do work excepionally well together to form an overall picture. i guess this more than justifies it's overall composition as a single song.

spd still sucks though. :bah:

PoS said:
spd still sucks though. :bah:

SPD in my opinion crosses the line into self parody a bit, as if the lyrics finally went a little over the top on the fright meter...I mean come on "White face, haggard grin, this serenity painted death!" and the way its growled and mixed with the "fearsome" sounding guitar. Yeah i dunno...Maybe it just seems a little too generic sounding for me, not haunting enough or something.

But anyway I still like it, I just happen to find it more funny than ominous, and I believe it stands alone in the Opeth catalogue in that respect.

I find Forest of October boring. I think the only thing that's great about that song is the solo. As for Black Rose Immortal, I think it's ok. I love Serenity Painted Death though, it's one of my favorites off of Still Life.

ah...as of lately I find my self skipping MV when I play Still Life. It has one of the best intros ever but after that, the song is kind of dull to me. What I really love about SPD is the climax. The "Darkness reared it's head...." part. Then it's followed by a beautiful solo and beautiful clean vocals. :)

MV is much better than SPD, IMO...But not the best off of SL, which would be FoM if you ask me.

And just to throw in another acronym to be an ass... LOL.

Oh and about Mike "rapping" the lyrics to SPD...yeah that's kind of what I was trying to say before, but couldn't find the words to express. Its as if he's using the growl vocals as a gimmick on that song haha.

Theres so much about Opeth that I love dearly. Mike Akerfeldt's death metal voice is absolutely brutal and heart pounding, and he has the single most beautiful clean voice i've ever heard from a man. His riffs are outstanding, always with the 2(sometimes more) guitars doing very different things at once but meshing together for an outstanding non-confusing sound. Its the only band I know where you can be listening to a song for 5 minutes and its the heaviest thing youve ever heard, and suddenly it changes to a 3 minute acoustic part and its the most beautiful thing youve never heard. The songs are long and not boring. You never listen to an entire opeth album and be unsatisfied at the end(even with damnation or deliverance). Theres probably many more reasons that I cant even think of right now, Opeth is just so freaking amazing.

Inconium Guard said:
MV is much better than SPD, IMO...But not the best off of SL, which would be FoM if you ask me.

And just to throw in another acronym to be an ass... LOL.
no more TLA's for you! :p

KeithPars said:
I'm just wondering, what exactly makes you attracted to Opeth's music anyway?

Hey everyone, brand new to the board...and thought this was a good thread to start in.

I've always been a pretty big progressive metal fan. I like melody, flow, orchestration, piano, symphony...etc mixed with my metal. Having never been much of a death metal fan, it was a bit of a stretch for me to get into Opeth. Thankfully I was nudged a little to give them more of a chance, and I'm so glad I did.

The way they blend in the melodic prog style I like so much with the brutality of the classic speed/thrash that I still love is the key. Their heavy riffs are melodic and I learned to really appreciate Mikaels growls along with that style. The acoustics are beautiful and his clean voice has developed incredibly.

Having been a drummer(half-assed one...LOL!) for many years when I was younger...I really appreciate Lopez's style and versatility.

They really have become one of my favorite bands recently. Great writing, originality, and musicianship.

Seth

Black Rose Immortal said:
and he has the single most beautiful clean voice i've ever heard from a man.
you need to listen to some more music then. try trickster g (aka garm) from ulver or daniel gildenlow from pain of salvation on for size. :)

deliverance said:
tit loving assholes?
no! three letter acronyms! :p obviously you don't know anyone who's spent much time in the armed forces. they loooove their tla's.

PoS said:
you need to listen to some more music then. try trickster g (aka garm) from ulver or daniel gildenlow from pain of salvation on for size. :)

I'm not familiar with a whole lot of PoS, but Gildenlow does have an amazing voice. While MA is very smooth and hypnotic, DG has amazing diversity and range. Of course same can be said diversity-wise for MAs growls...:^)

Seth

PoS said:

no! three letter acronyms! :p obviously you don't know anyone who's spent much time in the armed forces. they loooove their tla's.

well come on, anyone in the armed forces don't see women that much, so they can be considered tit loving assholes too.