Whats Everybody Up To Thread?

dargormudshark said:
Just had my lesson from Rusty, I really suck at guitar :erk:

Ha ha ha nah you don't suck dude. Sometimes life teaches you humility. I don't know who Rusty is, but the thing is, experience is tough to beat. David Gilmour is not a technical genius, but listen to his singing solos. Gilmour, despite not being technically gifted as many guitarists learned to play what sounds good for him. I can run circles around him with rakes and two-hand technique etc. but I would tremble in the knees to battle him at what he does well. I would get my ass kicked. He has taken his own style and tone and turned it into something special. Other guitar players do the same thing. Every guitar player has a niche and something they are good at. Finding that niche and style and perfecting it is what being a guitarist is about.
Though you are a couple of years younger than I, I wouldn't hesitate to ask you in a heartbeat something about guitar. I have developed my own style, but my style is limited (like any other guitarist in the world) and neither me, Rusty, Wolf, Yngwie or any one guitarist on this earth can play everything well.
I struggle with humility on a daily basis, but guitar is a weird monster. People on your technical level or even slightly below often sound better to you because they are playing something different than you do and you are tired of listening to the stuff you play and it doesn't impress you.
I really try not to bring up the age factor, but the truth is, experience is also hard to beat. Guitar players that may not be technically gifted (like the above mentioned Gilmour) know how to play to their strengths and nothing but practice and learning your own strengths is what creates your own style.

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
I went to the music store and to my surprise and delight they had Vanden Plas' a Far Off Grace! So rather then mail order it I bought it there, Therion has to wait for mail order though... they didn't have Secret of the Runes which is the one I've been planning on getting first. I've heard more sound clips I liked from it. :) And you know... VANDEN PLAS RULES! :) Not as much as TM, but man... Bryant wasn't kidding when he said they were good! :)

I also got my Savatage Streets review up at my page :)

Daydreamer's Realm

Doh !! Doh !! I thought you had ordered "Beyond Daylight." I didn't know you got FoG. It's on about equal ground as BD though. Both are great releases in my ears and are about equal. Well, my PM to you will have a little different perspective now. >:p~
I am glowing too..... I like it when I am able to recommend something and they like it. My top recommendations are Vanden Plas, Angel Dust and Tad Morose. I seem to get pretty good responses from those three bands. Since you do have FoG as opposed to BD, what do you think about the ballad "I Don't Miss You ? " Many metal bands make power ballads. Vanden Plas decided to make something you would hear on an adult contemporary easy listening station and managed to kick my ass harder than they could with any power ballad.

Bryant

Its very sweet and sad... The keyboard playing is beautiful, I really dig it. :)

The kind of song that gets you misty eyed and you have to switch songs before anyone catches and teases you about it. Not that I ever get misty eyed about anything mind...
voldar02.gif

Bryant said:
Doh !! Doh !! I thought you had ordered "Beyond Daylight." I didn't know you got FoG. It's on about equal ground as BD though. Both are great releases in my ears and are about equal. Well, my PM to you will have a little different perspective now. >:p~
I am glowing too..... I like it when I am able to recommend something and they like it. My top recommendations are Vanden Plas, Angel Dust and Tad Morose. I seem to get pretty good responses from those three bands. Since you do have FoG as opposed to BD, what do you think about the ballad "I Don't Miss You ? " Many metal bands make power ballads. Vanden Plas decided to make something you would hear on an adult contemporary easy listening station and managed to kick my ass harder than they could with any power ballad. Bryant

Bryant said:
I am glowing too..... I like it when I am able to recommend something and they like it. My top recommendations are Vanden Plas, Angel Dust and Tad Morose. I seem to get pretty good responses from those three bands. Since you do have FoG as opposed to BD, what do you think about the ballad "I Don't Miss You ? " Many metal bands make power ballads. Vanden Plas decided to make something you would hear on an adult contemporary easy listening station and managed to kick my ass harder than they could with any power ballad.

Bryant

I was listening to that song the other day. That's a pretty messed up song. He must of just got cheated on or something.

Bryant said:
Ha ha ha nah you don't suck dude. Sometimes life teaches you humility. I don't know who Rusty is, but the thing is, experience is tough to beat. David Gilmour is not a technical genius, but listen to his singing solos. Gilmour, despite not being technically gifted as many guitarists learned to play what sounds good for him. I can run circles around him with rakes and two-hand technique etc. but I would tremble in the knees to battle him at what he does well. I would get my ass kicked. He has taken his own style and tone and turned it into something special. Other guitar players do the same thing. Every guitar player has a niche and something they are good at. Finding that niche and style and perfecting it is what being a guitarist is about.
Though you are a couple of years younger than I, I wouldn't hesitate to ask you in a heartbeat something about guitar. I have developed my own style, but my style is limited (like any other guitarist in the world) and neither me, Rusty, Wolf, Yngwie or any one guitarist on this earth can play everything well.
I struggle with humility on a daily basis, but guitar is a weird monster. People on your technical level or even slightly below often sound better to you because they are playing something different than you do and you are tired of listening to the stuff you play and it doesn't impress you.
I really try not to bring up the age factor, but the truth is, experience is also hard to beat. Guitar players that may not be technically gifted (like the above mentioned Gilmour) know how to play to their strengths and nothing but practice and learning your own strengths is what creates your own style.

Bryant

www.rustycooley.com

He doesn't have a whole lot of feeling but technique wise it makes you want to puke.

dargormudshark said:
www.rustycooley.com

He doesn't have a whole lot of feeling but technique wise it makes you want to puke.

I listened to about four of his solos from the website. I don't dislike it. He is clean and super fast, but there is no feeling nor much phrasing in his style. I would love to have his talent, but stylistically, he does little for me.

bryant

Bryant said:
Sounds cool !!! I just work, drink beer, eat and sleep. : /

Bryant
hahahahahha I did it all by the beach! working at making sure the kids don't get pounded by the surf and of course you must eat, sleep and drink beer at the beach! :tickled:

kittybeast said:
hahahahahha I did it all by the beach! working at making sure the kids don't get pounded by the surf and of course you must eat, sleep and drink beer at the beach! :tickled:

Glad somebody had fun! :D
:Smug: I had to stay all Sunday @ my mother's doing open house for her :yuk: and just 2 nosey neighbors showed up...there was no food and she was late! What a Sunday I tell ya...Saturday was much better...although once again there was a different DJ @ the Rainbow...so no bloody Maiden :yell:

dargormudshark said:
I am saving my money so I am skipping alot of shows, but I am going to Deep Purple! But then their is the best show ever and we all know what that is........................................................................................................PROGPOWER
Deep Purple AND Prog is not so shabby ;) :headbang:

Yesterday I got Alice Cooper tixs :hotjump: we are so there Kittybeast!!!!! :err: although the seats are not the greatest, but they are ok...

Fangface said:
mmm honestly, I don't like this kind of shredding wankery... but his technical abilities are very impressive indeed.

I have no idea who you are talking about...but needed to butt in on this subject...for me there's gotta be "feeling" in the music...I don't care if you are the world's greatest musician..if there is no feeling and just pointless unmoving music it just doesn't cut it for me...I prefer a simpler musical arrangement for that matter.

Pabla said:
I have no idea who you are talking about...but needed to butt in on this subject...for me there's gotta be "feeling" in the music...I don't care if you are the world's greatest musician..if there is no feeling and just pointless unmoving music it just doesn't cut it for me...I prefer a simpler musical arrangement for that matter.
We were talking about a shredder called Cooley, see a few posts above ;) There are some video clips on the website.
Anyway, I agree with you on the "feeling" thing.

Pabla said:
Deep Purple AND Prog is not so shabby ;) :headbang:

Yesterday I got Alice Cooper tixs :hotjump: we are so there Kittybeast!!!!! :err: although the seats are not the greatest, but they are ok...
The seats can be anywhere....AS LONG AS YOU AND I ARE THERE..........IT'S A PAR-TAY!!! psssst....it's a halloween party....are you gonna wear a costume? I'm going as a Vice cop...lookout you longhaired metalers.....Sgt. Kittybeast is on patrol!!!!!!!! :headbang: