What's everyones top lists for 2007?

My list is coming soon, but damn it looks like Circus Maximus is the 2007 cd of the year according to everyones list, These guys need a tour in the states, man that would bring them over the top.

My list is coming soon, but damn it looks like Circus Maximus is the 2007 cd of the year according to everyones list, These guys need a tour in the states, man that would bring them over the top.

From part of a press release on Blabbermouth dated August 3rd:

North American promotional director Glenn Harveston, has declared his intentions for the band as well: "We are going to get the record in the stores and the band out on the road here in the States. Period. We are going to kick off the new year right with CIRCLE II CIRCLE, CIRCUS MAXIMUS, and MANTICORA joining forces for a North American mini-tour in early 2008.'

Kamelot : Ghost Opera
Raintime : Flies and Lies
Circus Maximus : Isolate
Paradise Lost : In Requiem

North American promotional director Glenn Harveston, has declared his intentions for the band as well: "We are going to get the record in the stores and the band out on the road here in the States. Period. We are going to kick off the new year right with CIRCLE II CIRCLE, CIRCUS MAXIMUS, and MANTICORA joining forces for a North American mini-tour in early 2008.'

First I had heard of this. VERY excited!

My top 10 for the year right now:

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Megadeth - United Abominations
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
After Forever - S/T
Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Pain Of Salvation - Scarsick
The Reasoning - Awakening
Redemption - Origins Of Ruin
Rush - Snakes & Arrows
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet

It is hard to believe, but the new Therion doesn't crack the top 10. It just isn't as good as the last couple of releases.

I'm waiting for the new Iced Earth to sink in. I'll probably know by the end of the year.

Some honorable mentions: Blackfield - Blackfield II, The Pax Cecilia - Blessed Are The Bonds, Suspyre - A Great Divide

Jason

My favorite albums of the year at the moment:

1. Circus Maximus - Isolate A+ / 99
2. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement A+ / 97
3. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick A / 95
4. Symphony X - Paradise Lost A- / 92
5. 3 - The End is Begun A- / 90
6. Redemption - Origins of Ruin B+ / 87
7. Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions B / 86
8. Fair to Midland - Fables From a Mayfly B / 86
9. Threshold - Dead Reckoning B / 84
10. Between the Buried and Me - Colors B- / 83
11. Vision Divine - The 25th Hour B- / 82
12. Sonata Arctica - Unia B- / 81
13. Winds - Prominence and Design B- / 80
14.Suspyre - A Great Divide B- / 80
15. Glory Opera - Equillibrium C+ / 78
16. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos C+ / 77
17. After Forever - After Forever C / 76
18. Poverty's No Crime - Save My Soul C / 75
19. Mechanical Poet - Creepy Tales for Freaky Children C- / 73
20. Spheric Universe Experience - Anima C- / 70

My favorite albums of the year at the moment:

1. Circus Maximus - Isolate A+ / 99
2. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement A+ / 97
3. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick A / 95
4. Symphony X - Paradise Lost A- / 92
5. 3 - The End is Begun A- / 90
6. Redemption - Origins of Ruin B+ / 87
7. Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions B / 86
8. Fair to Midland - Fables From a Mayfly B / 86
9. Threshold - Dead Reckoning B / 84
10. Between the Buried and Me - Colors B- / 83
11. Vision Divine - The 25th Hour B- / 82
12. Sonata Arctica - Unia B- / 81
13. Winds - Prominence and Design B- / 80
14.Suspyre - A Great Divide B- / 80
15. Glory Opera - Equillibrium C+ / 78
16. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos C+ / 77
17. After Forever - After Forever C / 76
18. Poverty's No Crime - Save My Soul C / 75
19. Mechanical Poet - Creepy Tales for Freaky Children C- / 73
20. Spheric Universe Experience - Anima C- / 70

Now this is the kind of response I was looking for, informed and knows what he likes -- not afraid to put numbers by his albums :) Still, I can't believe you'd give the new Circus Maximus a near perfect score while ranking the latest Dream Theater album so relatively low. Thats the one outliar on your rankings. The new Circus Maximus isn't bad, but its a big step down from the debut, mainly due to poorly written vocal melodies and crummy lyrics.

It sounds like I'll need to check out the new Riverside album. I have one of their older ones, Out of Myself. Nice moods, music, and production. I'm not a fan of the vocals. How does this compare? I like the myspace songs quite a bit.

The Michael

That is awesome news.

Zod

Discs that currently have a shot at my Top 10:

Allen / Lande - The Revenge
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Chris Cornell - Carry On
Drudkh - Estrangement
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
In Vain - The Latter Rain
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
October Falls - The Streams Of The End
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Raventale - On a Crystal Swing
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Stinking Lizaveta - Scream of the Iron Iconoclast
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient

Zod

Bump, how it everyone's list holding up?

Mine actually has changed a bit in the last few months....

Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
Kamelot - Ghost Opera

I still haven't had a chance to get a lot of the releases for this year, so I don't know how it would change based on those. I need to get busy. I got a lot of music this year, but a lot of it was playing catch up for other stuff I missed.

I don't feel like straining my brain to come up with some sort of order just yet. As of now (in alphabetical order), my Top 15:

Circus Maximus - Isolate
Darkestrah - Epos
Drudkh - Estrangement
Mgla - Further Down the Nest/Mdlosci
Pagan's Mind - God's Equation
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Primal Fear - New Religion
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement

Disappointment of the Year... Symphony X's Paradise Lost. Although it's in my Top 15, it would be towards the bottom. And I've come to expect nothing less than Top 3 material from SX.

Had some told me, before the year started, that the new Primal Fear would garner more spins than the new SX, I would have laughed out loud.

Zod

#2 Kamelot - Ghost Opera -- I like it a lot. Mid tempo, somewhat experimental Kamelot is my favorite kind of Kamelot.

My favorite Kamelot - possibly out of all of them. Perhaps not quite top ten material for me, but solid nevertheless.

DarkTide said:
#3 Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient -- what a cool disc .. I've never liked anything this guy has done until this.

Very cool disc, but it's a mood play for me, not one I tend to reach for enough to put it up that high.

DarkTide said:
#4 Amorphis - Silent Waters -- another winner for Amorphis ... in a similar vein as the excellent Eclipse from last year.

This disc to me is akin to Pyramaze's "Legend of the Bone Carver" in that the same high level of quality is maintained from their previous disc, yet it doesn't seem to get the same hype as its predecessor. This one definitely has a shot at my list.

DarkTide said:
#6 King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul ... Please -- this one clicked with me right away. I'd rate it higher, but I think the concept is a bit weak, and the production is kind of thin.

I really wanted to like this, but it just doesn't hold a candle to "Puppet Master" in my book. The production and songwriting just leave me completely flat.

DarkTide said:
#7 Symphony X - Paradise Lost -- It took me a while to get into the mood to really spin this one, after initially loving it the first week it came out. I think it's high quality stuff, although I could use a little less Evil Russ.

Haven't spun it as much recently, but a very solid release, contender for sure.

DarkTide said:
#9 November's Doom - The Novella Reservoir -- I liked this one straight away. I kind of shelved it for a while, but came back to it again after seeing ND live at Alehorn.

These guys are hands down my favorite band with "doom" elements - but they are so much more. Passionate, focused musicians doing what they do best. Will be in my list for sure.

DarkTide said:
PC69 - In10sity -- Their best stuff since Sonic Dynamite.

Enjoyable throwback sound with more of a metallic edge. For fans of 80's metal, what's not to like?

DarkTide said:
Circus Maximus - Isolate -- Overhyped in my internet circles, but a good disc none the less. The singer is great, but some of the songs on here are not.

Need more time with this one - seems more uneven than the debut, but at the same time there's nothing that jumps out as "I dislike this" either. More of an absorber than the debut but a solid contender as well.

So, from everything you mentioned, I at the very least enjoy seven discs that you mentioned. My actual top 10 will probably look quite different, but it's nice to have more in common than we may have thought before. :kickass:

Jason

I don't feel like straining my brain to come up with some sort of order just yet. As of now (in alphabetical order), my Top 15:

Circus Maximus - Isolate
Darkestrah - Epos
Drudkh - Estrangement
Mgla - Further Down the Nest/Mdlosci
Pagan's Mind - God's Equation
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Primal Fear - New Religion
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement

Disappointment of the Year... Symphony X's Paradise Lost. Although it's in my Top 15, it would be towards the bottom. And I've come to expect nothing less than Top 3 material from SX.

Had some told me, before the year started, that the new Primal Fear would garner more spins than the new SX, I would have laughed out loud.

Zod

Riverside and Pink Cream 69 are on my list. PC69 might take a little more convincing. For some reason, I have all but two of their albums: one of which is Sonic Dynamite. I don't really like the band that much... I think I was just on crack back in 2006 :) Should I get Sonic Dynamite first or go to this new album right away?